Why do Americans think America is the greatest country in the world?

joeg215

Readin posts, rollin eyes
Established Member
How does one judge which country is better? I know America is the best country because I am still living here. If I didnt think it was the best, then I would most likely be trying to get out. Since I am not, it is the best. Yeap, that is logic.

TorchedCobra

Banned
I didn't judge America, I asked why American's believe America is the greatest country on the face of the earth. I very specifically stated that it was a generalization and that I wanted people to show me the other side of America. The intellectual side not the crazy redneck side that is portrayed by the media.

You answered my question very well thank you! :rockon:

So not all of Canada is like Trailer Park Boys? I love that show!

MrUnsubtleNinja

Established Member
How does one judge which country is better? I know America is the best country because I am still living here. If I didnt think it was the best, then I would most likely be trying to get out. Since I am not, it is the best. Yeap, that is logic.

I would personally say that there are a few factors that come into play such as:

Economy
Entrepreneurship & Opportunity
Education
Overall Health
Security and Safety
Personal Freedoms

So not all of Canada is like Trailer Park Boys? I love that show!

No unfortunately, that is only SOME parts of Canada. Like Hanna Alberta, the home of the crappiest band in the world. I think you can make an educated guess about who it is.

Last edited:

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
Are you kidding me?
New York and Jersey would have way more people open to other countries and how good they can be.
The whole 'merica &^%$ YEA! close minded mentality is down south.

I like Canada, went to Mont Tremblant last winter and it was awesome!
Used to go to Toronto for work and I always enjoyed it.

I hear that almost everyday being in the military. It's so awesome, and I have several people I work with that are from New Jersey that say it too. LOL!!!

I guess we are all close minded because we love our country.

MrUnsubtleNinja

Established Member
I hear that almost everyday being in the military. It's so awesome, and I have several people I work with that are from New Jersey that say it too. LOL!!!

I guess we are all close minded because we love our country.

That's just it though, you're not close-minded due to your love for your country. There are many factors that come into play when someone is close-minded. Without actually talking to someone you wouldn't be able to completely judge someone like that. You can make assumptions but that is about all! :rockon:

96SVTDvl

Hustlin'
Established Member
If you are judging a nation collectively, based on a limited interaction, you are shortsighted and have a limited or warped understanding of what America has been, and is. Why is America the greatest nation? Because despite our seeming inability to mind our business at times, America has collectively set the standards of global industrialization, commerce and inguinuity. America has been a safe haven for individuals of many races and creeds for hundreds or years. America has laid the tools at the feet of millions of immigrants seeking safe harbor, prosperity and a chance at freedom through liberty, and our constitutional principles.

Despite what twisted tales me be told, the blood of Americans has been spilled across vast stretches of the earth, fighting for the freedoms of others. America has never turned her back and has always lent a hand to those is need, whether militarily or monetarily.

Sure we have our defects, sure Americans aren't perfect, sure the system is flawed on may different levels. Yet when push comes to shove, you would be hard pressed to find an American that will not stand up and fight for what is right, whether here or abroad.

Freedom, opportunity, history. The apologist can get bent. If you even have to question it, stay home.

God damnit, that is some good shit right there. Some damn good diction there sir. 'Merica. :rockon:

joeg215

Readin posts, rollin eyes
Established Member
I would personally say that there are a few factors that come into play such as:

Economy
Entrepreneurship & Opportunity
Education
Overall Health
Security and Safety
Personal Freedoms

Ok that's fine. Just out of curiosity, which country do you believe is the greatest in the world using the criteria that you mention?

Kiohtee

Established Member
A lot of people are missing OP's intentions. He's not actually disagreed that America is not the best country, he's just asking us Americans why we think such. It's not a rhetorical question or one that is being asked snobbishly. :)

Panic661

Established Member
I can't give a direct answer, our military might is one. I think "greatest country in the world" is begining to fall, however the people still maintain the ability to fix that, and we have before.

After WWII we were the greatest, we had the manufacturing, military, money, etc. Some day in my lifetime I hope to see it.

For a real answer I believe my country is the greatest in the world due to my pride.

Last edited:
We still have the ability to rise up, and recreate what we've already created. I hope to see it some day.

I'll say we're the greatest country in the world due to my own pride, and I've never been anywhere else, anyone that I know who has travelled out of the country has been in the military, during peace times even their views my be a bit biased.

I love the history of my country, good and bad, I love what this country can be, even if it was before my lifetime. I still believe I'll get to witness something like it.

(For the record, I believe the 50s were the best time in American history. Someone more educated, correct me if I'm completely wrong.)

If I could do it over and live in any decade it would be in the 50s.

TorchMach

Established Member
Most that think this country is the best country in the world are very ignorant and uneducated. Most don't even know we have more people in prison here then any other country in the world. Don't even mention the debt.lol

We as the people have lost total control of it's government in my opinion. The government invades countries in the name of "freeing" them. The government suppress certain technologies and continue to pass laws that limits the American people.

There is a lot wrong with the way it is being managed and could improve vastly. It must.

However, above all we the people as a whole come together in a time of need. Are (I believe) the first to offer help when needed. Are ignorant when we are told we can't. We are people that don't give up. We are people that love a free market and freedom. We LOVE the idea if you work hard you'll come out on top and give your family a better life. This is possible easier in this country then any other(reason why people risk their lives trying to get in).

To me this country is where you have your best shot in life to become someone.

These are just my opinions though.

MrUnsubtleNinja

Established Member
Ok that's fine. Just out of curiosity, which country do you believe is the greatest in the world using the criteria that you mention?

Probably either Denmark or Norway based on http://www.prosperity.com/rankings.aspx. However I will state that my opinion is based on gathered information not first hand experience. I will also state that this isn't the only criteria.

History is a very important part and I will agree that the United States has a lot of very good history that contributes to it. However speaking directly from that criteria, at this current time America doesn't rank as high as it should in my opinion. As many have stated, America is a great place of opportunity but it seems that the useless of your country only want to suckle at the Tax Payer's bosom. That in my opinion brings my view of America down.

I believe that like a lot of people that have posted in this tread that America is a once great nation that, while not horrible by any means, needs to get it's act together as a whole so that it can rise and be a even greater nation than it was before!

Edit: I see that while I was writing this post a lot of people got the point of what I was trying to say with the thread. I don't think America sucks by any means, I just believe it needs to get its act together and change for the better. So that it can become the great nation it was decades ago!

Last edited:

2004Droptop

Established Member
Start comparing, most any country stat and the truth will get laid out there for you to understand, GDP, freedom of most anything... oh did I mention freedom. Although some of us may act like spoiled kids, probably shouldn't judge the whole on that one. Got to admit thread was a little Trollish... but hey you got me!

Last edited:

ibleedblue65

Established Member
:rockon:

However I believe that is where we are different in a way. I'm wanting to listen to what you have to say to justify how you feel about America and hopefully learn more about what makes you so patriotic. That't the whole point of this thread, so that I can learn from you guys first hand!

It's frenchie and I hate those damn Quebec bastards too!!!

This is not an easy question to answer. We all have different opinions on what makes a country or this country great. For me it's so many things on different levels. It's partially pride simply because it's where I'm from, where I was raised. I'm proud of who I am and where I come from, they are intertwined. This country is so screwed up on so many levels it can be hard to keep faith at times. The one thing that keeps me patriotic is that I still believe in the idea of america, the american dream. The idea of limited central government and inalienable rights endowed by our maker, not the government. That no matter who you are and where you come from, if you work hard and are persistent you can be successful. But honestly the #1 reason I believe the united started of america is the best country in the world is the constitution. If we could just learn to read the damn thing and take heed.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I can't give a direct answer, our military might is one. I think "greatest country in the world" is begining to fall, however the people still maintain the ability to fix that, and we have before.

After WWII we were the greatest, we had the manufacturing, military, money, etc. Some day in my lifetime I hope to see it.

For a real answer I believe my country is the greatest in the world due to my pride.

This.

Users who are viewing this thread