Why cant I get a decent tune for a 2013 5.0 auto?

SVTPete83

Established Member
LOl Im not going back to stock because of a tune problem. I will elude to AED did not do my tune but they also did not want to do the tune and recommended another tuner. As far as datalogging I tried on multiple occations to get the datalogging config file from 2 of the tuners to start getting it worked on but never got them.

So I am assuming Aed will not tune your car because you will not data log anf or put it back to the stock tune to do so? Truthfully I wouldn't tune it either. And if you want results, especially with Shaun's tune, youre gonna need data logs and possibly with the stock setup back on the car. He wants to make sure your car is running right to start with. It ironic in a way. Complain about tuners with a whole thread, but is not willing to do the things to make the tune good... Hmmm

Last edited:

casper gt

Established Member
Try removing the JLT and see what happens. I know tuners can make the JLT work, but across the boards, I've read numerous stories with the JLT causing shifting issues. Several people with that experience are on this board. Maybe they'll chime in.

+ 1^ it's pretty widely known in the 11+ auto world that a jlt can give you every problem you described.

these cars use the MAF to calculate all the trans functions & the jlt intake can give a "dirty" MAF signal causeing all sorts of problems.

not shure if its a problem in your case, but something to look into to be shure.

take it off & get a retune for the stock intake & see where your at.

DIB5.0

Established Member
You should try a tuner that does have a '13 to tune on and test. Brenspeed does own a '13 auto. So does Adam from POPS racing. Not sure who else actually owns a auto '13 to test on.

Tucker

More customers and tuners run the JLT without issue, just don't post, than those running it and blaming it for an issue.
More signatures have JLT in them than any other, but the intakes the cause of drivabilty issues?

We nailed this down to a tuning problem and have sent several tunes out to customers with tune issues that fixed their peticular issue.
It's a shame when tuners blame a part instead of tuning for the part which is their job.
It seems once they can't figure it out, they start pointing fingers.

These computers are amazing and not everyone can tune them to the point everyones happy with the performance.
Blaming a part it the easy way out.

OP, I'm no super tuner, but if you want to try my tune I'd be happy to send you one. If it works, great, if not we tried.
Send me your serial #, mod list and computer code.
[email protected]

Shaun@AED

I refer all 13 auto's to Adam @ Pops as he owns a 13 A6 and I have not even had one in the shop yet. If there are any 'bugs' he can load the tune into his own car and work out whatever the problem may be.

faztcobra

Established Member
Props to JLT for offering up a free tune to try and help you out.
I agree, that's great customer service. But he ruined the rest of his post by spewing crap about there being JLTs in more people sigs than any other. Still sounds bitter over the fact that the product does cause issues in some cars and it was brought to light on these boards. I didn't condemn the product, just stated that it's a known issue - been data logged - and talked about over and over across multiple boards. It is what it is - and a perfect product it's not.

Tucker

I agree, that's great customer service. But he ruined the rest of his post by spewing crap about there being JLTs in more people sigs than any other. Still sounds bitter over the fact that the product does cause issues in some cars and it was brought to light on these boards. I didn't condemn the product, just stated that it's a known issue - been data logged - and talked about over and over across multiple boards. It is what it is - and a perfect product it's not.
Bitter for tuners and non tuners throwing blame all over the net, sure.

Knowing it's a tune issue and helping fix it, fact!

Manual cars running great and the best times ever, but auto cars having issues with some tunes?
It's the intake? The same intake that works on the manual car?

Hmm, what controls the auto transmission? The intake tube or the computer?

I guess it's the intake tube for some...

gtformula

Established Member
Thanks to JLT for wanting to help out. Tucker Ill send all my info and serial number as soon as I have it in front of me. Any help is appreciated.

As for the datalogging/ I asked many times for the config files from 2 or the tuners and never got them. I gave up after a few tries. Stop assuming Im some newb / dumbass. I have tuned my own lsx cars in the past and even my twin turbo 23 psi corvette myself. Just got into the mustangs cause I have kids and need a back seat and new camaro's are junk lol.

try03venom

Established Member

Manual cars running great and the best times ever, but auto cars having issues with some tunes?

great products IMHO!

Charisma

Established Member

Solid response IMO. Anyone who blames an intake for the issues with tuning isn't much of a tuner at all, specifically if they can tune it fine for the M6 but not the A6...

I'll be honest, I've been around the whole "CAI doesn't work"... I bought a JLT this weekend, installing it tomorrow.

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
Thanks to JLT for wanting to help out. Tucker Ill send all my info and serial number as soon as I have it in front of me. Any help is appreciated.

As for the datalogging/ I asked many times for the config files from 2 or the tuners and never got them. I gave up after a few tries. Stop assuming Im some newb / dumbass. I have tuned my own lsx cars in the past and even my twin turbo 23 psi corvette myself. Just got into the mustangs cause I have kids and need a back seat and new camaro's are junk lol.

I don't think anyone has assumed any affirmations regarding your tuning ability's. The fact that you say you have tried to get config files from multiple tuners has me curious though. You don't need a config file if your familiar with tuning. Select your parameters and log the car. MAF voltage, Lamba, STFT, LTFT, A/F etc. etc. you know the drill.

Post up your logs in this thread if there is something your unfamiliar with, im sure ppl will take a look and let you know anything unordinary.
Otherwise contact adam@popsracing

Last edited:

Tucker

So I guess it's the computer that causes the "dirty" MAF signal?

Your not listening or learning, your going by hype. It's not the computer only, but the areas in the tune not set correctly.

Too many stick and auto cars running perfect to blame a part, sorry.

Call it "dirty MAF signal" all you want, the truth of the matter is the tune is what drives the car and thousands of customers and hundreds of tunes have tunes for the kit.

I have done the MAF signal test myself and there is a big difference between "dirty" MAF and a untuneable MAF signal.
The MAF signal on a JLT may not be as smooth as a stock box, but it's far from dirty or untunable to a good tuner.

There are ranges for everything and we are well within the range on acceptability in MAF signal.

If you want to help, help.
If you want to bash, have your facts straight.

BMR's auto car won their class in NMRA last year and came in 2nd this year behind another JLT equip car

JPC won the Ford Fever yesterday with a 10.14 in their race car with a STOCK 5.0, JLT CAI, Kooks headers and Diablo tune

Matt D @ DeSilva racing runs 10.70's with a stock 5.0, JLT and suspension

Every winner in last years 5.0 shootout and most 2nd and 3rd place winners used JLT

This years 5.0 shootout all winners in N/A and a power adder class used JLT's

The car has been out for 3 years and we have tons of autos running great. The 13 is a little different and some tuners may need more time to perfect the tune, but to blame a tube that flows air is a joke.

Users who are viewing this thread