Why cant I get a decent tune for a 2013 5.0 auto?

Fabbed5.0

Established Member
Thanks to JLT for wanting to help out. Tucker Ill send all my info and serial number as soon as I have it in front of me. Any help is appreciated.

As for the datalogging/ I asked many times for the config files from 2 or the tuners and never got them. I gave up after a few tries. Stop assuming Im some newb / dumbass. I have tuned my own lsx cars in the past and even my twin turbo 23 psi corvette myself. Just got into the mustangs cause I have kids and need a back seat and new camaro's are junk lol.

lol you say your not a newb/dumass and that you tune your old car but you cant set up and datalog your car lol:shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

Here is the parameters you can catalog

Try to log these for an idle log:
ect_degf
iat_in_degf
load
maf_flow_rate_lb_per_min
maf_frequency
measured_afr_bank_1
measured_afr_bank_2
rpm
short_term_trim_1
short_term_trim_2

And these for a WOT log:
ect_degf
iat_in_degf
load
maf_flow_rate_lb_per_min
maf_frequency
measured_afr_bank_1
measured_afr_bank_2
rpm
spark_advance
knock sensor
torque_source
vehicle_speed_mph

ArtVandalay16

Established Member
I refer all 13 auto's to Adam @ Pops as he owns a 13 A6 and I have not even had one in the shop yet. If there are any 'bugs' he can load the tune into his own car and work out whatever the problem may be.

+1. Adam is great to work with. He spent many hours with me fine tuning my car while working around my 12-14hr work schedule.

WHITEMACH

Established Member
gtformula , as he stated he just got into the MUSTANG, and has had bad luck with( 2) 2013 autos. getting some of these tuners to fix there tunes isnt easy.
seems once they get your cash its hard to get them to do anything! as i recall from one tuner that had put in his list of mods the boss intake and tuned it for it, even though he doesnt have a boss intake, to" run the tune anyway it would be fine, just more power up top!
the problem is they get your 125 or so bucks and dont want to deal with you anymore!
the diff between my 12 auto tune and his is CRAZY, the 12 tune is ass kicking and the 13 is lazy,from the same tuner!

jayman33

Get a dyno tune if you want the best results and not have to worry about it. Also, try and take the negative bias by individuals towards JLT with a grain of sald. There was some "testing" that was conducted previously by individuals who EXTREMELY dislike the company, I couldn't imagine skewed numbers at all..... Looks like some individuals who have probably never ran the product in this thread are bashing the company however, they obviously have no idea what they're talking about.

jayman33

I don't think anyone has assumed any affirmations regarding your tuning ability's. The fact that you say you have tried to get config files from multiple tuners has me curious though. You don't need a config file if your familiar with tuning. Select your parameters and log the car. MAF voltage, Lamba, STFT, LTFT, A/F etc. etc. you know the drill.

Post up your logs in this thread if there is something your unfamiliar with, im sure ppl will take a look and let you know anything unordinary.
Otherwise contact adam@popsracing

Tuning a pushrod is not the same as tuning an 8 MB computerized modular motor.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Get a dyno tune if you want the best results and not have to worry about it. Also, try and take the negative bias by individuals towards JLT with a grain of sald. There was some "testing" that was conducted previously by individuals who EXTREMELY dislike the company, I couldn't imagine skewed numbers at all..... Looks like some individuals who have probably never ran the product in this thread are bashing the company however, they obviously have no idea what they're talking about.

What does any of this info you just said have to do with his tunning issue. All that was said for now go back to stock untill you get your tune figured out. An it was nice enough for jay to offer the op a free tune to hopefully fix his issue.

jayman33

What does any of this info you just said have to do with his tunning issue. All that was said for now go back to stock untill you get your tune figured out. An it was nice enough for jay to offer the op a free tune to hopefully fix his issue.

I told him to get a dyno tune.... apparently you didn't see that.

casper gt

Established Member
I think my first post came across like I was bashing JLT which isn't really the case, it's more of a lax tuner/cai kit in general on an auto car.

with the right tune I'm shure any cai can be made to work, but by the same token, you need your tuner to work wih you to get it sorted out.

there can be no denying the fact that auto cars are finicky about cai's in general & do require attention to the tune (for those unaware, an auto car calcullates load off the MAF, a screwed up MAF signal translates into a screwed up load reading & then every trans function that is load based is comprimised, manual trans cars don't have this problem) as made obvious by guys taking their cai's off, reinstalling the stock cai & going faster but then getting their tunes sorted out & going back to their brand of cai & going even faster.

is that an indictment of cai's in general or "tuning factories" not wanting to spend the time to get every car right? its up to the particular person to decide that.

ny personal experiance with all 3 years of coyote cars is that a cai does help some (gains are minimal at best, but seem to be there, I'm a tenth or so faster with my cai vs stock) but the tune needs to be right.

I also agree that Jay coming on a forum with an offer to help on his dime is awsome, more vendors should follow his lead.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I told him to get a dyno tune.... apparently you didn't see that.

Your right I didn't because you rambled on about a bunch of crap. This thread isn't about a Cai being good or bad. It's about getting his tune setup right..you were busy ranting about something that has nothing to do with what the OP was asking for. Nobody is bashing anyone or there products so let it go.

jayman33

Your right I didn't because you rambled on about a bunch of crap. This thread isn't about a Cai being good or bad. It's about getting his tune setup right..you were busy ranting about something that has nothing to do with what the OP was asking for. Nobody is bashing anyone or there products so let it go.

Maybe you should actually read the posts.

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
Tuning a pushrod is not the same as tuning an 8 MB computerized modular motor.

Where did i say it was?

I suggested a solution to identify the problem would be to log the car. Post it up and have people take a look.

You say get a dyno tune, but that cost more money, regardless he has already paid for tuning files through a few company's. Log it/monitor parameters, logs/data get reviewed by tuner, changes are made, new tune uploaded, log again to see results. How does this process differ from an dyno tune?

gtformula

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys. My time is soo limited this week to even drive the car lol. The tune is way off. The company I got the last one from has offered to help get the car right. I may be going there for a full dyno tune and drivability session. Not sure yet.

This is not about the cai or anything. Its about how companies sell tunes that say they are ready to go and may need maybe a small tweek. In fact are very far off and the drivability is terrible. If I put the stock air intake on, then basically I have just an x and mufflers. Which then of course a tune should work cause the stock one probably would other than the cat overtemp and ses lights.

Also from my experience the 2012 tunes make more power. Maybe cause they are nailed down better and have more info on them. Maybe Im wrong but Ive got friends with them and they feel way better than both my 2013's do. I know its the damn tune cause I even sold all my bolt ons to a friend with a 2012 and it was night and day in his car compared to the exact same parts in my 2013.

Last edited:

casper gt

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys. My time is soo limited this week to even drive the car lol. The tune is way off. The company I got the last one from has offered to help get the car right. I may be going there for a full dyno tune and drivability session. Not sure yet.

This is not about the cai or anything. Its about how companies sell tunes that say they are ready to go and may need maybe a small tweek. In fact are very far off and the drivability is terrible. If I put the stock air intake on, then basically I have just an x and mufflers. Which then of course a tune should work cause the stock one probably would other than the cat overtemp and ses lights.

Also from my experience the 2012 tunes make more power. Maybe cause they are nailed down better and have more info on them. Maybe Im wrong but Ive got friends with them and they feel way better than both my 2013's do. I know its the damn tune cause I even sold all my bolt ons to a friend with a 2012 and it was night and day in his car compared to the exact same parts in my 2013.

I wouldn't sweat it just yet, give the guy thats trying to help you a chance to straighten it out & go from there.

as to "just a stock cai" I would check a few more threads, there are tons of folks in the 11's on them, some in the 10's.

just something to calm your nerves alittle, but true none the less.

that said, I have a cai (airaid) as well, so I'm guilty of wanting one too & know how you feel.

any luck with the old converter yet?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Maybe you should actually read the posts.

Maybe you need to re read the whole thread because you jump the gun. There was no one bashing even the guys have posted it saying they were not bashing.

DIB5.0

Established Member
Must be the tune then, friend has a '13 auto CS with VMP tune and ran a 12.56 on street tires.

try03venom

Established Member

what rearend gears? I see you have a 4000 stall

Users who are viewing this thread