Whipple 3.4 E-70 Dyno Results

2FNFAST

Shinin' and Whinin'
Established Member
Im thinking the numbers are kinda low for 26 psi?? Car was tuned to 10.8:1 on E-70 to account for the switch to 85 in summer.

Heads and cams are 01 cobra with a home port on the exhaust side. Pistons are 18cc dish meaning my compression is lower than I would prefer. 03 Cobra stock manifolds, catless exhaust.

Fuel system is the same as Kevin's with the addition of FORE Rails.
(Twin GT's in fore hat, -8 to the rails, wiring upgraded bap and pumps, dual fpdm)

Guess I expected the setup to break 750 and expected to run out of fuel but the fuel system didn't even hiccup all the way through.

It's tuned at 15-16 degrees of timing??? I thought this was rediculously low, but i watched him turn it up to 17-18 and it didn't gain anything and lost power after 6000 rpms.

dynosheet.jpg

So what is/could be wrong with the setup? Anyone?

GodStang

Established Member
Numbers are not bad. Between the heads and cams and low timing that is what I would expect. Also what type of dyno and are those SAE or STD? Strong numbers anyways.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Seems decent but for 26 psi I would expect another 100 or so.. Here is where I think you are going wrong.. 1- Stock logs.. Get some LT's and I'll bet money you will pick up a good amount of HP for the amount of air you are flowing. I would also think that the timing and A/F ratio play a big part.. But there is definatley some bottle necking happening somewhere on your setup.

emerica4601

KCCO!
Established Member
i'm shocked you didn't run out of fuel. Esp with a -8 feed line. I have a -10 feed line and triple walbros in tank to feed my 3.4 at the same boost. I think I'm around 20ish degrees of timing?

Those #'s look like pump gas #'s. Pull out more timing and your #'s will pass the 750 mark.

Joe

2FNFAST

Shinin' and Whinin'
Established Member
It was on an AWD Dyno Dynamics. Supposedly corrected numbers... I've heard it reads a little low but idk. I'm gonna take it to a dynojet once we get E-85 and see what it does just for the hell of it. I did think the torque numbers looked good?

2k4Terminator

Established Member
This! I don't think I would run 26psi without longtubes.... Your gonna screw up your exhaust valves. But, 704 is excellent at 15 degrees of timing! That's very conservative!

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
First, I would tune for 11.4 for E70. Second, 15-16 degrees of timing does not sound right. :??:

Unless the cams or something are off? :shrug:

Either way it sounds like good power for the combo.

What was your compression ratio?

2FNFAST

Shinin' and Whinin'
Established Member
The cams are on. I believe the Compression is around 8.2:1 with the 01 heads and 18cc pistons.

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
Yea that is a low... if you have the coin id get some gt heads on there and throw more boost and timing at it

2FNFAST

Shinin' and Whinin'
Established Member
Not that im not happy with 700, to be honest after driving it its on the verge of too much for the street. I think i am going to re-dyno after the fuels switch to 85% and the a/f leans out. I can always do the long tubes and kick it up to 30 psi to make up for the low compression if i wanna take it that far.

The heads on it cost me exactly $0.00.

GodStang

Established Member
Not that im not happy with 700, to be honest after driving it its on the verge of too much for the street. I think i am going to re-dyno after the fuels switch to 85% and the a/f leans out. I can always do the long tubes and kick it up to 30 psi to make up for the low compression if i wanna take it that far.

8.2:1 Compression...01 Heads...01 Cams....15-16 degrees timing....Stock logs... I am surprised you made it that high. This is a perfect example of just throwing random parts together because you got a good deal and they not making anywhere the power the correct parts would of made. Just to give you an idea with the same timing less boost with a smaller blower and 93 octane no additives I made more HP.

I am not trying to bash you or your setup but you came in and asked if your numbers are low. The answer is no not at all because of the choice of parts. You WILL NOT make the same numbers the 03-04 Cobra makes with your setup. Don't forget that is still insane power for the mods you do have.

blownnotcher

MACA Resident MMA Fighter
Established Member

700 is a good bit of power so dont get me wrong, but the idea that you would rather slap parts together that dont match for the sake of money, when you obviously have some money or you wouldnt be able to afford a 3.4, kinda seems off to me. By the time you tear the motor down and either a. put new heads on it (best option) or b. put new pistons in it, you will have spent more than just doing it right the first time... fwiw i made 655hp on 93 octane with a smaller blower (emericas old 2.6) with less boost. its was just a more well thought out setup made to work with each other..... If your happy with 700 tho im sure its a beast, and runs well on the street.... def throw the longtubes on and ill bet your boost drops to around 23-24 psi if your making 26 now....

2FNFAST

Shinin' and Whinin'
Established Member
The shortblock was built to be a 2v... Basically I got the heads handed to me in perfect shape, for free and as far as I see 4v > 2v so I decided to go with it. I was not willing to build another shortblock when theres nothing wrong with this one yet. If and when it goes I will do a big bore with higher comp pistons.

I am 24 and by no means wealthy, I have had pretty good luck nabbing the parts I have and I was honestly more worried about the show aspect of my car, but there was an STS T/A in town claiming numbers to the moon, yet that car is a turd, his mouth will be shut after it goes down. The 3.4 is definately an awe factor when the hood is popped for shows, and honestly my car is probably the fastest street car in my town of 60,000 people here in the middle of nowhere.

I wasn't arguing or discrediting anyone's opinion, I really appreciate it and will take this all into account when I decide to change it up. The good thing is it really won't cost much as I do my own work and anything I have trouble with my good buddy is a Tech at Ford and a fellow mustang lover. (03 dsg cobra)

I can definately be happy with the car for what it is, you have to understand I just jumped into this monster from the 2v world, where my last setup probably made 500 whp. This thing is scary fast as it is. Thanks for all the tips/input fellas. :beer:

Last edited by a moderator:

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
E85

I am having the exact same problem with the timing, after 16° it stopped making power,:burnout: I have comp came stage 3 and made 730 on c-13 ,now barely breaking 700, I'm at 11.5-11.7 af, on a mustang loaded dyno

Last edited:

Teej281

Established Member
Well is that 11.5-7 on an e85 scale or a petrol scale? If its on a petrol scale, then something aint right there, as thats where you want to be. But if thats on an ethanol scale, you want to drop that a/f down to like 9:1.

04torchred

Established Member
8.2:1 Compression...01 Heads...01 Cams....15-16 degrees timing....Stock logs... I am surprised you made it that high. This is a perfect example of just throwing random parts together because you got a good deal and they not making anywhere the power the correct parts would of made. Just to give you an idea with the same timing less boost with a smaller blower and 93 octane no additives I made more HP.

I am not trying to bash you or your setup but you came in and asked if your numbers are low. The answer is no not at all because of the choice of parts. You WILL NOT make the same numbers the 03-04 Cobra makes with your setup. Don't forget that is still insane power for the mods you do have.

The 01 cams run more duration then stock 03-04 Cams on the intake side so he should have gained with those. I believe they are 200 duration at 0.050. Where were the cams degreed in at? What is your intake and exhaust cam centerline?

Did you compress all the lash adjusters before sticking them back in the heads to make sure you don't have any that are collapsed or not able to bleed down(this could buggar valve seal and lead to less power). I have found 3 collapsed lifters on my brothers engine already and 2 that won't bleed down. I still have 10-12 lash adjusters to go.

What are your IAT2 temps on the blower at the end of a pull. If you are stock inlet with stock manifolds you might be wise to back the boost down to keep the temps in check as you will have a good bit of heat in the combustion chamber.

Exhaust is holding it back, but not the reason for only 700 at 26psi.

How big is your air filter?

I was able to make 685rwhp/605rwtq with a 6.55" lower and 3.5" lower with pump gas and torco and 20.5* timing on a stock longblock.

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
e85

Well is that 11.5-7 on an e85 scale or a petrol scale? If its on a petrol scale, then something aint right there, as thats where you want to be. But if thats on an ethanol scale, you want to drop that a/f down to like 9:1.

Lambda was changed in the tune for the e85, its how its supposed to be, my iat temps downstream were around 92° and never went higher than 118° after some back to back pulls, its funny because I've always tuned on a Dynojet, but I switched tuners this year, the first time I'd been there was last sat. And even on pump gas it didn't make any more power past 16° with 20psi and 93, really weird, what's crazy is the a/f was perfect and the plugs looked great when we pulled them out

Users who are viewing this thread