Whipple 3.4 E-70 Dyno Results

2FNFAST

Shinin' and Whinin'
Established Member
The 01 cams run more duration then stock 03-04 Cams on the intake side so he should have gained with those. I believe they are 200 duration at 0.050. Where were the cams degreed in at? What is your intake and exhaust cam centerline?

Did you compress all the lash adjusters before sticking them back in the heads to make sure you don't have any that are collapsed or not able to bleed down(this could buggar valve seal and lead to less power). I have found 3 collapsed lifters on my brothers engine already and 2 that won't bleed down. I still have 10-12 lash adjusters to go.

What are your IAT2 temps on the blower at the end of a pull. If you are stock inlet with stock manifolds you might be wise to back the boost down to keep the temps in check as you will have a good bit of heat in the combustion chamber.

Exhaust is holding it back, but not the reason for only 700 at 26psi.

How big is your air filter?

I was able to make 685rwhp/605rwtq with a 6.55" lower and 3.5" lower with pump gas and torco and 20.5* timing on a stock longblock.

The heads were pulled from a 30k mile running engine and the cams/secondary chains were not touched. IAT temps never went over 120, averaged between 100-110. Cruising the temps are below 100.

I am running a Tork Tech Inlet, SCT 2600, and a 12" Filter.

Any idea's on what the gain will be when it leans out on E85? Would advancing timing gain power with e85 or is it just more knock protection with the extra ethanol??

I have talked to 2 people now that have experience with this dyno, claiming that cars dynoed and tuned on it gained nearly 10% on a dynojet without touching the tune, I will throw it on one this summer just for shits and giggles.

04torchred

Established Member
The heads were pulled from a 30k mile running engine and the cams/secondary chains were not touched. IAT temps never went over 120, averaged between 100-110. Cruising the temps are below 100.

I am running a Tork Tech Inlet, SCT 2600, and a 12" Filter.

Any idea's on what the gain will be when it leans out on E85? Would advancing timing gain power with e85 or is it just more knock protection with the extra ethanol??

I have talked to 2 people now that have experience with this dyno, claiming that cars dynoed and tuned on it gained nearly 10% on a dynojet without touching the tune, I will throw it on one this summer just for shits and giggles.

Your cams could still be way out from where they should be. Meaning an intake cam could be 110-117 and exhaust the same. There is lots of play in the cam gears and then the big primary exhaust cam gear has play also. No car from the factory cam with the cams degreed spot on.

What oil weight are you running by chance?

Accufab single TB as well?

vadorsnake04

Established Member
numbers look about right for the way you set it up. My numbers were also on a loaded dyno. So i am around 10% off also.

2FNFAST

Shinin' and Whinin'
Established Member
I agree, I didn't have the tools necessary to degree them, which I should have just pony'd up and bought/borrowed.

5w 20 oil.

Accufab Single Blade is correct.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
8.2:1 Compression...01 Heads...01 Cams....15-16 degrees timing....Stock logs... I am surprised you made it that high. This is a perfect example of just throwing random parts together because you got a good deal and they not making anywhere the power the correct parts would of made. .
Your not giving up huge amounts of HP with 01 Heads and cams Vs. 03 stuff?
the newer cams do produce more high rpm torque for sure but as mentioned the 99-01's have more intake duration.. it's no more than a 25RW gain from both:shrug: If that motor had CP 6cc dished and the cams correctly degreed, LT's and a 4X10 air filter he'd be at 760+

Last edited:

2FNFAST

Shinin' and Whinin'
Established Member
I think my filter is big enough?

whip34-1.jpg

Just need the LT's and more boost/timing and I think it'll be fine...

And i know my I/C reservoir is tiny, i just had to get it running for the dyno, it is to be replaced.

Last edited by a moderator:

BruceH

Established Member
I'm wondering why it wasn't tuned for the E70 that's being used? Then all you or your tuner have to do is change the stoich to 9.8 for the E85 tune. I'm assuming your tuner used a stoich of 9.8 or so for your E70 tune.

2FNFAST

Shinin' and Whinin'
Established Member
I'm nearly 500 miles away from him, so I can't just drive down the street for a tune. He accounted for the change in this tune, said it should be good and safe when the switch to 85% ethanol happens. It just richens up in the winter, when i don't drive my car anyways. Hell it most likely won't be out of the garage again until mid-end of april.

BruceH

Established Member
I'm nearly 500 miles away from him, so I can't just drive down the street for a tune. He accounted for the change in this tune, said it should be good and safe when the switch to 85% ethanol happens. It just richens up in the winter, when i don't drive my car anyways. Hell it most likely won't be out of the garage again until mid-end of april.

First off I'm not a tuner, but I adjust the tunes for my car with prp and understand the basics of engine management.

My car was originally tuned with an 80% ethanol content. The stoich for that is 10.2. When and if summer blend comes out in my area the first clue will be short term fuel trims will go positive in closed loop (adding fuel to get lambda as measured by the o2 sensors). Once I test and verify the content is 85% ethanol I'll just load a tune with 9.8 for stoich, keeping everything else the same. That way the commanded af will still be right on and the fuel trims can stay as close to 0 as possible. Like I said I'm not a tuner but I don't see how he could of gotten the maf transfer correct by using one fuel and guesstimating a future fuel, unless he had already tuned it on a different fuel and had the maf transfer values.

He could of sent you home with 9.8, 10.2, and 10.7 stoich tunes for the different blends of E 85 you are likely to encounter or sent them in mako files.

By any chance do you monitor your short and long term fuel trims? I'd be curious to see where they are.

There are professional tuners on this site. If I have something wrong please correct me because this is the approach I'm using for my motor.

Whippedmach

Established Member
Sadly your #'s are about right do to your compression being so low i am in the same boat and kick my self daily for it... I was going to order the 9.5's but when diamond offered the BB pistons with rings for 300 shipped i couldnt say no

My 3.4 whipple car with the same pulley combo as yours is making about 760rwhp, and that is with 8.2-1 compression, ported heads, GTcams, Kooks steeped headers and full 3" exhaust. E85 11.5afr and 20 degree's timing... compression is just too low. so basically i am making 60 more hp, but have all the above....

Food for thought if you look at cylinder pressure alone our motors with low 8-1 compression and 25#'s is the same as a motor with 9.5-1 and 20#'s of boost. And E85 loves compression, you have two choices... MORE BOOST, or MORE compression..

I personally am on engine 5 in 4yrs and have no desire to pull a good bullet out of the chamber so i will be switching from the 3.5 upr to the 3.0 pulley here soon, giving me 28ish pounds and im guessing around 830rwhp, followed by like a 75 shot.... and that will be it just enjoy the car for a while and maybe in a year or two up the compression and go turbo.

2FNFAST

Shinin' and Whinin'
Established Member
I was kind of thinking along the same lines, I'm not out to break any records, but I will be going back after the change to 85% to dial it in more and i'm more than willing to bring the boost up...

Effective Compression is the main thing to worry about right, so at 8.2:1 how high can I go before i'm pushing it too far? I plan on headers for sure at this point. I figure the 3.25 pulley and call it good?

However my Evo buddy keeps telling me this dyno reads about 10% low on cars that he has seen go to a dynojet afterwards, so IF i'm actually putting down 750-770 dynojet numbers, i would probably just leave it alone.

I figure I'll hit up the 1/4 mile one time to see what I MPH just to get an Idea. It'll be a one pass deal before I get kicked off for not having a cage or a roof.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whippedmach

Established Member
I was kind of thinking along the same lines, I'm not out to break any records, but I will be going back after the change to 85% to dial it in more and i'm more than willing to bring the boost up...

Effective Compression is the main thing to worry about right, so at 8.2:1 how high can I go before i'm pushing it too far? I plan on headers for sure at this point. I figure the 3.25 pulley and call it good?

However my Evo buddy keeps telling me this dyno reads about 10% low on cars that he has seen go to a dynojet afterwards, so IF i'm actually putting down 750-770 dynojet numbers, i would probably just leave it alone.

I figure I'll hit up the 1/4 mile one time to see what I MPH just to get an Idea. It'll be a one pass deal before I get kicked off for not having a cage or a roof.
With as low as compression as we have. With built motors I think once u get exhaust, being on E85 u can through as much boost at it as the 3.4l will support and you will be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread