Which oil to use?? (for me)

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
I have seen the oil tanks at my dealer and they aren't gigantic plus they are stored in the shop so I wouldn't worry all that much about condensation myself.

Just went on autozone.com and had a serious sticker shock. For mobile 1 it would be really close to $100 to do my own oil change.

Even the Motorcraft stuff would be over $50.

Even though I only get 2 oil changes a year I would still rather save the money.

Listen the tanks get moisture. Some dealers also cheap out and dont get motorcraft. I have been at a dealer for a long time. The moisture will probably never hurt anything. Id feel safer with seales bottles.

grabber blue gt

Established Member
Yeah exactly as most of you said I HATEEEEE taking my car anywhere to have any type of work done. I do all my own oil changes/work on this car and that will never change lol. My fusion I bring to the dealer for oil changes just cause I dont want to bother with jacking it up, draining, getting dirty, etc. but thats also a lease so if anything happens its on them and its there car in another 18 months.

I have decided on going with the Amsoil or Royal purple 5w30 though. Most likely going to go with the Amsoil signature series. Havent seen much talk about filters in here though. Most of you sticking with the motorcraft filter?

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
I don't like going to doctors and I think this fear transcends to service depts. I buy my filters in bulk and pick up oil from wally world. most auto parts stores have a free recycled oil tank in the back. I save time, money and peace of mind doing it this way. too many stealership horror stories.

kingnut

Established Member
You would be amazed the kind of things that happen regularly at dealerships & oil change shops. The kinds of stupidity I seen in the 4 years I worked in that area was just mind blowing. Oil filters not being tightened, double gaskets resulting in engine failure, drain plugs stripped/crossthreaded, engines accidently filled with washer fluid and/or the wrong oil completely, engines underfilled/overfilled, transmissions drained rather than engines by accident, oil stains in interiors/carpets, windshields broken while changing wiper blades, oily hand and finger prints all over the door/hood, on and on...

I got a few "free" oil change coupons from the dealer when I purchased the car, and I can guarantee they will never be used.

This. Besides like 10 guys on this forum had the dealer do an oil change and they only put in 5 qts. Thats what you get for being lazy. Its an oil change. Have some pride and do it yourself.

apex32

5.slow
Established Member
I always have run Mobil 1 syn in all my cars except for my M3's. If I was going to use something else I guess it would be amsoil but I don't justify the cost

shrug

Last edited:

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
This. Besides like 10 guys on this forum had the dealer do an oil change and they only put in 5 qts. Thats what you get for being lazy. Its an oil change. Have some pride and do it yourself.

Yeah, and just remember, that's a tech making $10/hr changing your oil. He doesn't care about your car. My gf took her Jetta for oil changes the first 40k miles she had her car before I started doing them. The first time I went to change her oil I noticed half of the screws were missing out of the skid plate underneath the engine. They didn't fall out, the lazy ****s that changed her oil previously probably dropped them and didn't bother to pick them up and put them back in.

Chaney5.0

All I have to say is, back a year or so ago, at the monster jam here in Houston Texas the Royal Purple monster truck was in town, and I arrived pretty early as I like to creep on the outside tailor area. I saw them putting amsoil into the that big block chevy...

It gets talked up so much, but in the end I have never heard anything special about RP, but they seem to like amsoil LOL

Adam03GT

Established Member
I wish we had dealerships in the Tulsa area that make things so convenient like some of you mentioned.... I went to the dealer I bought my car from for my first free oil change and it took them 3 1/2 hours...

pickles

Established Member
Yeah, and just remember, that's a tech making $10/hr changing your oil. He doesn't care about your car. My gf took her Jetta for oil changes the first 40k miles she had her car before I started doing them. The first time I went to change her oil I noticed half of the screws were missing out of the skid plate underneath the engine. They didn't fall out, the lazy ****s that changed her oil previously probably dropped them and didn't bother to pick them up and put them back in.

This is true. Even at the dealerships they will hire anybody, even people with NO experience what so ever. And most of them really do not give a cats meow about the vehicles they are working on. I've worked with guys that would purposely put the wrong grade of oil into a vehicle, and other silly things just because they did not like the "brand" of the vehicle. A lot of the places like "jiffy lube" will purposly put only half the hardware back into the skid plates, reason being if the car comes back for oil changes in the future, its a lot less work and saves time. Or they just happen to "forget" to put it back on. They also only allow a 3 minute drain, to save time. So keep that in mind.

There is going to be the odd guy out there that takes pride in his work, and will appreciate you car enough to treat it like his own while working on it. But from my experience you're odds of getting "that" guy changing the oil on your car, are pretty slim.

Last edited:

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
I haven't seen unleashed_beast make a comment on this thread. He is our local oil guru. I'm going to forward this thread to him.
I would highly consider what he has to say...

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
mobil 1 extended performance makes a 5w-30 and 10w-30. both class IV synthetics like RP and AMSOIL. you can usually get it for a sweet deal at walmart.

Not confirmed to be 100% accurate. Mobil 1 uses a percentage of VISOM (group III hydrocracked) in everything they formulate now.

also i dont see what 10w gains you over 5w. 5 is thinner. so easier on the engine on a cold start up. and they are both 30 rated so the same max weight.

Why 10W-30?

SAE Grade 5W-30
Viscosity, cSt (ASTM D445)
@ 100ºC 10.6
@ 40ºC 59.8
Viscosity Index 169
Sulfated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874) 0.8
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC (ASTM D4683) 3.0
Pour Point, ºC (ASTM D97) -40
Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92) 230
Density @15.6 ºC g/ml (ASTM D4052) 0.851

SAE Grade 10W-30
Viscosity, cSt (ASTM D445)
@ 100ºC 10.2
@ 40ºC 63.7
Viscosity Index 147
Sulfated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874) 0.8
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC (ASTM D4683) 3.1
Pour Point, ºC (ASTM D97) -39
Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92) 232
Density @15.6 ºC g/ml (ASTM D4052) 0.856

here is a breakdown of 5w-30 vs 10w-30 from mobil 1's website.

Now compare Mobil 1 5W-30 to a true synthetic 10W-30. The results will be closer. If you do not constantly use your car in sub 32*F weather, 5W-30 is not required if you are using a true synthetic.

O rly? How much is the Amsoil cost and does it allow longer oil change intervals?

Since you can use Amsoil Signature Series up to 15,000 miles or one year, whichever occur first....you will invest less money than using cheaper oil. When you add up the slight mpg increase, and lower NOACK Volatility (evaporation), it just makes since.

Pennzoil Ultra here.

I'm VERY interested in seeing Pennzoil Ultra API SN used oil analysis in the UOA thread. I want to see how the new "gas to liquid" base stocks hold up to abuse.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
the opinions on RP are so skewed its ridiculous

What I do know about Royal Purple....

Do not use the base formulation that is commonly found at your local Auto Parts stores. Internet order either HPS or XPR. I have not been impressed with the base formulation in UOAs, as it does not contain the robust additive package using synerlec that RP is infamous for.

Coming this summer, I will have a side by side comparison of Amsoil Signature Series 10W-30 versus Royal Purple 5W-30 (base) both used for one year intervals in the same engine. This should be very interesting.

Last edited:

ViciousJay

Established Member
I use Mobil 1 or RP. Meijer by me sells M1 for $25 for 5 qts and $5 for each additional. Then i stop by a local auto parts store and grab ANYTHING BUT a fram filter

but thanks to Unleashed i think ill be looking into 10w30 as well

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread