Which oil to use?? (for me)

Graboid

Established Member
Penzoil products are on sale right now FYI. After mail in rebate you can get 5 quarts of PP or PU for $10 off and a $5 card for future purchases. Limit of two per household I think. Not saying it is better or worse but that's cheap for sure. I've seen good and bad info on it just like ever other oil :/. Mostly good. FYI 5 quarts of PU at my local Wally world is 26.xx.

Graboid

Established Member
I use Mobil 1 or RP. Meijer by me sells M1 for $25 for 5 qts and $5 for each additional. Then i stop by a local auto parts store and grab ANYTHING BUT a fram filter

but thanks to Unleashed i think ill be looking into 10w30 as well

Keep in mind i beleive he is talking about true synthetics which Mobil 1 etc are not considered to be for the 10/30 use.

apex32

5.slow
Established Member
What I do know about Royal Purple....

Do not use the base formulation that is commonly found at your local Auto Parts stores. Internet order either HPS or XPR. I have not been impressed with the base formulation in UOAs, as it does not contain the robust additive package using synerlec that RP is infamous for.

Coming this summer, I will have a side by side comparison of Amsoil Signature Series 10W-30 versus Royal Purple 5W-30 (base) both used for one year intervals in the same engine. This should be very interesting.

Definitely looking forward to this result.

grabber blue gt

Established Member
So its suggested to use 10w30 Amsoil signature over the 5w30?? I mean now that spring/summer is coming there will be no sub 32* temps. But then I would need to switch back to 5w30 once fall/winter rolls back around right?

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
So its suggested to use 10w30 Amsoil signature over the 5w30?? I mean now that spring/summer is coming there will be no sub 32* temps. But then I would need to switch back to 5w30 once fall/winter rolls back around right?

beast, what min outdoor temp do you recommend using 10w30? my garage is 20 degrees warmer in winter and I never start the car below 20 degrees F.

Established Member
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Beast are you out there

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Redline is good shite, but expensive.

Red Line 5W-50 fails in every GT500 UOA I have seen. Lead ppm is through the roof.

I just changed my oil and used Castrol 5w50 full Syn

too high of oil pressure FTL

Penzoil products are on sale right now FYI. After mail in rebate you can get 5 quarts of PP or PU for $10 off and a $5 card for future purchases. Limit of two per household I think. Not saying it is better or worse but that's cheap for sure. I've seen good and bad info on it just like ever other oil :/. Mostly good. FYI 5 quarts of PU at my local Wally world is 26.xx.

I really want some good samples of Pennzoil Ultra API SN formulation in UOAs from the Coyote.

then ill continue to use RP then ;-)

Make sure you stick with HPS or XPR. I am not impressed with their base formulation.

beast, what min outdoor temp do you recommend using 10w30? my garage is 20 degrees warmer in winter and I never start the car below 20 degrees F.

Both of you would be fine with 10W-30, but Amsoil ASL 5W-30 is also a good substitute. It still has far lower NOACK Volatility than Mobil 1. I was starting my GT500 with Amsoil 10W-30 in 27* weather just fine a few days out of the year, and that car was always in outside ambient air in the morning.

For those who live in the north and drive their car year round, 5W-30 is the substitute. Heck, for those who have a stock engine and drive like a grandma, you can even use Amsoil Signature Series 5W-20.

Last edited:

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
thanks, beastman. will definitely go with 10w30, but now I'm torn between amsoil ss and mobil 1 ep. former is $90 for 9 qts and filter w/ discount and the latter is ~$50 for 10 qts and I have mc filters already.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
thanks, beastman. will definitely go with 10w30, but now I'm torn between amsoil ss and mobil 1 ep. former is $90 for 9 qts and filter w/ discount and the latter is ~$50 for 10 qts and I have mc filters already.

1 oil change a year with Amsoil is the best way using their preferred customer program.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
REDLINE 10w30 and knN filter, Best oil ive ever used, hands down

i will be doing a UOA.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
REDLINE 10w30 and knN filter, Best oil ive ever used, hands down

i will be doing a UOA.

I'm really anxious to see your sample. Please email it to me when you get it. Thank you in advance.

How will mobile 1 0w-40 do?

One of Mobil 1's best formulations, despite them using group III base stock (VISOM) in the formulation. It will shear to a 30 grade before the end of the oil change interval, but seems to be a good off the shelf performer.

Amsoil = once a year oil changes.

everything else, you are doing it twice a year on average, sometimes 3. Now recalculate the math.

Sell the MC filters on eBay and use the Amsoil EaO17

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Just curious....whats your opinion on the German (European) Castrol 0w-30? I've used it in the past two Mustangs.

It was big news back in 2004-2005 era of muscle car forums, especially when using it in the LS1 Chevy engine.

Today, it's not that big of a deal, since the formulation was changed in 2005. The original formulation was "Green", the revised is "Gold". I do not recall what changes were made or how it effected the robustness of the formulation. My guess, it was cheapened using lower grade base stocks and additives.

It's a viscous 30 grade lubricant, near 40 grade. This lubricant hasn't been on my recommended list since 2005.

Nasty03Cobra

Established Member
Unleased recommended I use 0w-30 AMSoil wit EA017 AMSoil oil filter last summer. Have 6,500 miles on the oil and motor seems much more quite compared to initial facotry oil, Im avergaing about 1.5mpg more and I have had no issues whatsover

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
It was big news back in 2004-2005 era of muscle car forums, especially when using it in the LS1 Chevy engine.

Today, it's not that big of a deal, since the formulation was changed in 2005. The original formulation was "Green", the revised is "Gold". I do not recall what changes were made or how it effected the robustness of the formulation. My guess, it was cheapened using lower grade base stocks and additives.

It's a viscous 30 grade lubricant, near 40 grade. This lubricant hasn't been on my recommended list since 2005.

I appreciate the input. I had wondered if anything had switched over through the years since (as stupid as it sounds) some of the markings on the bottle had changed.

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
Unleased recommended I use 0w-30 AMSoil wit EA017 AMSoil oil filter last summer. Have 6,500 miles on the oil and motor seems much more quite compared to initial facotry oil, Im avergaing about 1.5mpg more and I have had no issues whatsover

how's your oil consumption?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member

AZO is one of Amsoil's best passenger car lubricants. I strongly recommend it for those who drive their car all winter long in northern states. It has a higher NOACK (evaporation) than ATM 10W-30, but it's still lower than Mobil 1 and 99.9% of every lubricant you can buy off the shelf.

Gaining efficiency with this lubricant is also common. I enjoy telling Mobil 1 users that they will gain mpg using AZO. They think I am lying to them just to get them to switch. When they use it, they never go back. Better mpg and quieter engine.

I appreciate the input. I had wondered if anything had switched over through the years since (as stupid as it sounds) some of the markings on the bottle had changed.

The markings changed due to newer API SM/SN certifications and the formulation change. What's funny, if you google search Castrol 0W-30 green gold, you will see all of the threads are from 2005/2006. It's old news today.

how's your oil consumption?

If he had consumption before, I'd assume it decreased due to the lower NOACK.

Users who are viewing this thread