When would you start getting worried?

bolinger06

Established Member
pretty sure i just spent an hour reading this thread so your not going to give up lol. on a side note: i just bought my cobra off ebay for a great deal, i know it's a little different situation for you, but ebay is overall a good place. I hope the best of luck to you and dont sell your car. This event has made you crazy, so listen to your fellow friends and keep the car!!!

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
I hope something works out.

In the case I'm familiar with, we have a guy who can't account for over $500,000 that his business took in. He accepted payments through the mail, so a postal inspector is involved. The local police are investigating as well as the IRS.

These investigations have been going on for 6+ months. What we're being told (so far) is that the prosecutor will not go for an indictment unless there is an absolute MOUNTAIN of evidence against this person. Even the attorneys involved are saying that this guy may very well walk away before it's all over. Very discouraging to say the least.

I don't know this for a fact, but when you talk to these investigators, you get the impression that postal inspectors and local police are completely overwhelmed by small-time scammers and thiefs like this. Every day I look on eBay Motors, I see scams where guys are just waiting to score a few grand here and there. I wonder if ANY of these guys EVER have charges brought against them unless they involve major financial numbers.

I like eBay, but they do a lousy job of policing their ads.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Top_Fuel said:
I hope something works out.

In the case I'm familiar with, we have a guy who can't account for over $500,000 that his business took in. He accepted payments through the mail, so a postal inspector is involved. The local police are investigating as well as the IRS.

These investigations have been going on for 6+ months. What we're being told (so far) is that the prosecutor will not go for an indictment unless there is an absolute MOUNTAIN of evidence against this person. Even the attorneys involved are saying that this guy may very well walk away before it's all over. Very discouraging to say the least.

I don't know this for a fact, but when you talk to these investigators, you get the impression that postal inspectors and local police are completely overwhelmed by small-time scammers and thiefs like this. Every day I look on eBay Motors, I see scams where guys are just waiting to score a few grand here and there. I wonder if ANY of these guys EVER have charges brought against them unless they involve major financial numbers.

I like eBay, but they do a lousy job of policing their ads.
I agree, but you have to consider the sheer volume of their members. I would expect that they rely on software to catch questionable listings of any sort. And it surely wouldn't be 100% effective. I really think it is more up to the buyer to use normal caution when dealing with lower feedback sellers, or those with negative feedback (especially with higher priced items).

One thing I do know is that eBay doesn't do a good job checking the background of their sellers (and buyers). I've had cases where the address information or phone number was incorrect. In one case the person purposely provided eBay with false information. I reported this fraud case to eBay but they basically did nothing. If their system did a better job checking address, financial and phone number info they'd have a safer community IMO. That and a much better way of handling investigations. Believe me, they are very content with their "satisfactory" half-hearted effort. :rolleyes:

zzstang

Hello,
I hope you still check this thread, I to have just been scammed. I found this because I have been searching all over the place for john avalis"depending how he decides to spell his name" or kent/robert baugh. They just scammed me for 2k on a procharger. If you have any info or received your money back please let me know how, I am trying all means to recoup my money. Any help would be great!!!
Thanks!!!

zzstang

yes it was on ebay, username steelrod55, registered to kent baugh and then my money was sent to john avalis{depending on what spelling he uses}..160063241410). he also sold the same unit on ebay canada the week before!

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member

zzstang

already have and they would not give me any info. I have spoke to a few other people that he has scammed lately looking for new info. I have found out the name of the guy that ownes all of the domain names that he uses. I think I am gonna let the police take it from here.

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
zzstang said:
already have and they would not give me any info. I have spoke to a few other people that he has scammed lately looking for new info. I have found out the name of the guy that ownes all of the domain names that he uses. I think I am gonna let the police take it from here.

That really sucks man. Good luck to you.

Users who are viewing this thread