When would you start getting worried?

CbraSvt01

Banned
Ok so I bought a new in box Whipple from a private seller last week. He had it listed on ebay but said he would end the auction if he was offered the right price. I offered him the right price and it was a done deal. He said to send him a cashiers check and provide him with tracking numbers so he could end the auction. I did so on Tuesday, he replied back saying he would keep on eye on it.......that was the last I heard from him. The check arrived on Thursday according to UPS tracking. I have emailed him twice just to check in and he has yet to read any of my emails. I guess he could be out of town so if im overreacting I might feel stupid in the long run. However, $2,700 is alot of money to entrust to someone so im just seeing when I should start worrying? If i feel im getting ripped off what can I do? This sucks....

key

Established Member
I would be freaking out. I freaked out when some guy ripped me off for $320 for an exhaust system.. can't imagine $2700.

CbraSvt01

Banned
well the item was for sale on ebay, but in his ad he mentioned he reserves the right to end the auction early. Once I sent him payment he ended the auction...so i doubt ebay will protect me.

99BlackCobra

Established Member
This is why I always buy stuff COD(cash on delivery). Call the bank that you got the check form and stop paymrnt immediatley. Did you get his phone number? Call his ass and tell him your not interested unless he is willing to ship it COD. Well tahts my .02, good luck.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
CbraSvt01 said:
If anyone in the New York area wants to check out his address let me know.

John Aviles
130 Church Street #136
New York, NY 10007

Man I never woulds send a check to NYC.....plus he has jersey listed as his place of origin. I would contact the police cuase he is ripping you off. On another note I'm a 2 hour drive from there and I've been looking for a reason to visit my best friend who tattoos up there. Maybe time for a little smack down SVT style?

PS pleas understand the Misspellings....too much Jack and coke

Last edited:

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
They guys Feedback is 100%, 22 all from SELLERS, he doesn't have 1 completed transaction from a BUYER. I would be worried, very worried.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
I doubt you will get your bank to stop pay the cashiers check. That is what a cashiers check stands for. The money is in the bank, held by the bank, and the check is good. You would probably have better luck with an attorney contacting the bank to get them to stop pay the check. I should know I have worked in a bank for almost 24 years. I have never seen a cashiers check stopped unless the government is involved.

CbraSvt01

Banned
Ok the fact that he listed the item again on ebay has me worried now.....unless he has a couple of these blowers laying aournd??? So what should I do then?

CbraSvt01

Banned
Well he contacted me after I sent him several emails. He said he asked his wife to ship out the blower on Thursday....which is not very comforting since its a woman and im sure she dosnt give two shits on how its packed. He also gave me his phone number. I told him to provide me with tracking info in 24 hours or the shit will hit the fan.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm not feeling very comfortable about this transaction, but hopefully all will work out. It was a Private Listing so the identities of the bidders is secret. What puzzles me is why he would end the auction early the way he did. He could have cancelled all the bids and said it was no longer available. Then he wouldn't pay a seller fee and it would be a simple deal. The other bidders' bids are cancelled and they're off the hook. But the way he did it would mean he has to pay the fee and deal with the high bidder who technically won the item at that price. The way he did it would mean he then also had to deal with that high bidder and hope that the high bidder doesn't complain to eBay that this guy sold him something and then refused to honor the deal. Doesn't make sense unless this guy doesn't have a clue as to how to sell on eBay (which is possible I guess since he has no feedback from buyers). Him saying that he asked his wife to ship the blower (pretty large box for the average woman to haul to the local UPS office) and that the item has been relisted would make me VERY nervous. He hasn't sold items before so why would he have two identical blowers to sell. Possible, but unlikely. If he is not legit, you won't be able to go after him through eBay because you aren't the winning bidder on the first auction. So your legal recourse if he stole your money would be to take him to small claims court or try to prove interstate fraud. Then you're into legal fees.

But since he likely has already cashed the check (not that it would matter) I would pin him down for the tracking number. You've got his phone number so call him ASAP and get the number over the phone. Repeat - you need to call him ASAP and get the tracking number over the phone. Then while you're talking to him, check the tracking number through UPS on your computer and verify it is valid and that the package was indeed shipped out on Thursday like he said. You might even ask how many blowers he has, since there is a "second" one listed. Best of luck! You'll feel a whole lot better once you get that tracking number and it proves to be legit.

I sent the seller an email through eBay asking if this was a second blower since he had a similar auction that ended on the 18th with a winning bidder. I asked if he sold the first blower to someone else. If I get a response I will post it later.

Again, best of luck. I really hope this guy is legit. He'd be pretty stupid to steal that much money and give you his phone number.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
I would also contact eBay and let them know what he did. They may ask for a copy of the check you sent him. You might very well get them to pull his current add and shut his butt down. I would then contact the police in his home town and give them the proof of what he's done. That's interstate fraud and theft and they should be very interested in that. As a matter of fact, I think that's enough to get the feds involved. But I would be worried if he can't provide you with a tracking number.

WOLFGANGSTA

Banned
Hey FireRed...he can't really contact ebay about it because buying from a seller that cancels the auction for you is outside of ebay's terms and conditions. They will not help you because it is an OUTSIDE of ebay transaction at that point.

Let this be a lesson to everyone. Do not ever EVER ever buy from someone on ebay that is cancelling the auction for you unless you are picking up and paying for the item in person. By doing it this way, (outside of ebay) you have absolutely no protection.

The one thing you can try is talk to your local postmaster. What he did is considered MAIL FRAUD and that sh1t is taken seriously by them. It is a federal offense.

I shrug my shoulders when I hear these stories all the time. Someone trying to save $300.00 and doing so in a manner that leaves you with very little recourse if things go bad....which they obviously did.

I feel for you....but come on man, that's why ebay has their protections....to protect you when you use their system and rules. You stepped outside of that and some JOYZEE thug pounded you for almost 3g's.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
simply asking for a check for an ebay item would have raised a giant red flag with me.

only time usps cares about fraud is when its a postal money order. next time, dont get a cashiers check, get a postal money order.

sellers asking for payment via western union is also a giant red flag.

wolfgangsta is right. pennywise, pound-foolish. all because you were too impatient.

Users who are viewing this thread