when did you guys decide you wanted kids?

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Obviously talk to your doctors, but right around when the mom hits 40, the chances of complications and birth defects skyrockets.

Funny thing is that they changed all that from when I was in school. If you turn 35 when you are pregnant they consider you advanced maternal age. If you are 35 when you get pregnant you are considered geriatric maternal age.

The tests have come a long way and are not as invasive as they were in the past. A few Blood draws and such is all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I didn't know when I'd want kids until my wife got pregnant despite birth control, antibiotics reduces their effectiveness. Good financials, good house, all that jazz but was still scared shitless. Then we lost it at 17 weeks. It was heart breaking considering it was something that didn't even feel completely real to me yet. I knew I wanted kids then. We tried and got pregnant again this past November. Well, he was born 4 months early and weighed 1lb 11oz, April 12th. Lots if days and nights in the NICU. He was healthy overall considering. Every moment was worth it. He passed away 17 days later on April 29th due to an infection that the doctors didn't recognize soon enough. My heart breaks again. I want a child even more. It's only been a few weeks. I've felt what all these Dads have been talking about, how it's all worth it. It's true and you'll feel it too.

Man, that's heartbreaking. I guess you do what you have to when you're in it to get through, but I can't even imagine. Sorry to hear.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Funny thing is that they changed all that from when I was in school. If you turn 35 when you are pregnant they consider you advanced maternal age. If you are 35 when you get pregnant you are considered geriatric maternal age.

The tests have come a long way and are not as invasive as they were in the past. A few Blood draws and such is all.

Age is no guarantee anything bad, or good, will happen either. Just something to consider. My aunt had her two kids after she was 44. They both have serious behavioral issues that they likely wouldn't have had if she were younger. You're rolling the dice no matter what though lol.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
all three of mine were surprises lol. but i always wanted kids and so did both baby mamas.

first one i had was at 25, she was 22. i was good with it. had a new career starting. she was too young and just working a job. she was happy about it but not really ready. financially or maturity wise. in retrospect, 30+ would have been better. having a kid that early certainly tanked our prospects of buying a house, even though they were giving out home loans like candy.
that marriage fell apart for many reasons.

years later met my current wife. we had our first oops at age 36 for me, and 35 for her. we were much better financially and maturity. already owned a home, cars, dogs, etc..

a few years later, we were talking/joking about having another one but decided we were getting too old as we were nearing 40. it definitely gets riskier. we decided i would get "fixed" and thanks to stupid kaiser making you set up appointments and take classes etc.. instead of being able to just go in and get it done, well we got surprise #2. she arrived a little over a month ago. its like resetting the clock to freedom all over again :confused::p

now ive taken the stupid class at kaiser and ready to have my balls cut open. just had to wait about FOUR MONTHS for an appointment. wtf?! and then after you get the clip, you have to wait another 3 months to make sure the pipes are all cleared. ive already forewarned her that if we get another surprise im faking my death and leaving the country! at least she'll get a nice fat payout from the insurance lol.

delivery day is scary. we almost had a complication during delivery during this last one which was a bit nerve wracking but it all worked out well. so are the years following it. theyre just so fragile. everything from SIDS to autism to whatever... once they hit about 4/5 theyre pretty robust and good to go lol. i just keep looking forward to the next milestone. when they start eating normal food, POTTY trained, sleep in their own bed, able to get in their car seat on their own and put their own seat belt on. those little things help make life easier lol.

theyre expensive. diapers are $$ and you go through them like crazy. clothes are too bad but they go through them fast. childcare can be a killer. luckily grandma is able to stay with us and take care of the baby during the week. my wife would never leave the baby with a stranger. too many horror stories. in fact only grandmas (2) can babysit. once my son hit two, we enrolled him in pre-school. $$$ but worth it. when he was around other kids his age people would think he was a year or two older because he was so verbal and articulate. he's about to finish pre-k and is in his fourth year of school! many kids dont even start school to kindergarten (sad).

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
all three of mine were surprises lol. but i always wanted kids and so did both baby mamas.

first one i had was at 25, she was 22. i was good with it. had a new career starting. she was too young and just working a job. she was happy about it but not really ready. financially or maturity wise. in retrospect, 30+ would have been better. having a kid that early certainly tanked our prospects of buying a house, even though they were giving out home loans like candy.
that marriage fell apart for many reasons.

years later met my current wife. we had our first oops at age 36 for me, and 35 for her. we were much better financially and maturity. already owned a home, cars, dogs, etc..

a few years later, we were talking/joking about having another one but decided we were getting too old as we were nearing 40. it definitely gets riskier. we decided i would get "fixed" and thanks to stupid kaiser making you set up appointments and take classes etc.. instead of being able to just go in and get it done, well we got surprise #2. she arrived a little over a month ago. its like resetting the clock to freedom all over again :confused::p

now ive taken the stupid class at kaiser and ready to have my balls cut open. just had to wait about FOUR MONTHS for an appointment. wtf?! and then after you get the clip, you have to wait another 3 months to make sure the pipes are all cleared. ive already forewarned her that if we get another surprise im faking my death and leaving the country! at least she'll get a nice fat payout from the insurance lol.

delivery day is scary. we almost had a complication during delivery during this last one which was a bit nerve wracking but it all worked out well. so are the years following it. theyre just so fragile. everything from SIDS to autism to whatever... once they hit about 4/5 theyre pretty robust and good to go lol. i just keep looking forward to the next milestone. when they start eating normal food, POTTY trained, sleep in their own bed, able to get in their car seat on their own and put their own seat belt on. those little things help make life easier lol.

theyre expensive. diapers are $$ and you go through them like crazy. clothes are too bad but they go through them fast. childcare can be a killer. luckily grandma is able to stay with us and take care of the baby during the week. my wife would never leave the baby with a stranger. too many horror stories. in fact only grandmas (2) can babysit. once my son hit two, we enrolled him in pre-school. $$$ but worth it. when he was around other kids his age people would think he was a year or two older because he was so verbal and articulate. he's about to finish pre-k and is in his fourth year of school! many kids dont even start school to kindergarten (sad).

SIDS is no joke. Not following precautions is an easy way to lose your baby. They have to sleep on a firm/hard surface and they have to lay flat on their back. Lots of things labeled as "overnight" aren't safe for overnight sleeping.

nxhappy

Established Member
thank you all for sharing your stories and your advice. SVTP is full of some cool bros haha. I know my wife is super excited. She has wanted a kid for like 10 years, and I've been putting her off the idea LOL. Time to keep the family name going. Hell, what's the point of life, if you can't smile next to your child, and teach the happy things? Right ?

Blown 89

Established Member
We got married late in life so it was within a year of so.

You'll never be ready and everyone is scared. It's expensive but you'll make it work....if welfare families can make having 15 kids work you will too so don't sweat it. That's how I coped with the nervousness of it....looking at the idiots in this world that did just fine. If they can do it so could I.

Rather than rehash what everyone will say in here I'm going tackle a rather unpleasant issue.....losing the baby. Apparently needing to abort a dead fetus is very common. I've seen as high as 70% of all pregnancies don't go to term. On April fool's my wife woke me up with a pregnancy stick in her hand, it wasn't a joke. Three months later the doctor couldn't find a heart beat. My wife was devastated. In talking to people after just about everyone we know has had a pregnancy or two not go to term. It's something may want to prepare for ahead of time so that it doesn't take your marriage down with it.

That being said, having kids was the best thing I've ever done. We haven't found parenting to be particularly difficult at all and have enjoyed every day with him since he was born. Don't let your life stop because you have children....they're easy to incorporate into whatever adventures you choose to go on. I call it nature's boob job

Hell, what's the point of life, if you can't smile next to your child, and teach the happy things? Right ?
Pregnancy tits. There's no doubt, you'll have a smile on your face.

Last edited:

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I always knew I wanted kids and have a daughter. We planned to possibly have two, but life happened and we sort of missed our window to try for a second. Here's what I'll add:

To those of you saying you don't want kids even though you are in a happy marriage and financially stable, I would hope you reconsider. Do this - go to a nursing home and talk to people that are now 70-80+ and chose to never have a family, ask them if they regret that decision.

To those saying "your wife is 30 (or over), but no rush!" You're wrong, be in a rush. There will always be stories of women having healthy kids in their 40's, but the odds start dropping after 30 and you want everything in your favor. It sucks, but the truth is after 30 a woman's body is on the backside of prime years for getting pregnant and having a healthy baby with no complications. My wife was 30 when we started trying. It took 3 years and more than I want to go into before she was finally pregnant. That means by the time my daughter was 2 and we would have wanted to try for another, my wife was 35. That played a role in not trying for #2.

To the OP - be prepared that just because the two of you want to get pregnant, it doesn't mean you will. Talk now about the "what if's". I've had several friends that had to end up adopting. Also, getting pregnant then losing the baby is something very real to prepare for. This is one of the things we went through during those three years and it was hell, worst time of my adult life and I have no doubt it was even worse for my wife. Be prepared for this as much as you can be.

Last edited:

bosscj

Established Member
Premium Member
thank you all for sharing your stories and your advice. SVTP is full of some cool bros haha. I know my wife is super excited. She has wanted a kid for like 10 years, and I've been putting her off the idea LOL. Time to keep the family name going. Hell, what's the point of life, if you can't smile next to your child, and teach the happy things? Right ?
There is absolutely nothing greater!!! The best feeling in the world.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

NY03SonicConv.

Established Member
My wife and I waited 10yrs, both sets of parents got divorced and we didn't want to put anykids through that. We have three now,lotta work but watching them grow up is amazing

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
I was 28 and she was 25 for my first son that will be 4 soon, I was really not ready but made a commitment to her when we got together about having kids.

When we started having complications at the hospital the day we had our first I was mad. Mad that we had a great life together. I knew I was going to loose my son and my wife that day, and have to go home alone. But Several hours and a big scar later we had my boy. She wanted number two, he hit the ground a year ago. I really was happy with just one, but the longer it goes the better it is. My wife and two sons complete my family and couldn't be happier. I will say I can't handle delivery, at all. Too much shit that can go wrong and it freaks me out. And if your wife is going to stay home, invest in bum genious diapers. Will save you more money than you will ever know.

NJredfire03

Established Member
well gents....my wife and I are finally making the decision....and truthfully i am scared shitless. She is going off birth control, and whatever happens will happen. I have known my wife for 14 years. We have been married for almost 5. I love her to ****ing death and we make a great team. I am 30 years old.......and I need to grow up....LOL. But honestly I'm ready for the next step in life and we have made the decision. I have my finances sorted, I'm in a great home, and frankly I don't want to be too old when I have my first kid. I know you can never be "prepared" for a kid but I am still nervous. I'm not really sure what I am asking from you guys. I guess maybe some advise. And maybe a blessing LOL. It's just a crazy to think about children and being a parent. Being a good role model for another human being.....When all this time, I've only taken care of myself, and thought only of my life. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks =)

Man it sounds like you two are primed for a child. Smart move being all prepared in life before adding another human to your family. I was never READY for kids. My wife is older (37) when we had our child. I was 5 days shy of 32. I really didn't want kids until I saw my daughter pop out. It really does force you to grow up. I have subconsciously made adult decisions. Like selling my 13 GT500 to make home upgrades. Not buying another mustang until all debt is gone. It's crazy what a tiny human can do to you. But it's wonderful. My daughter just turned one last week. She's the light of our life. Every decision I make from here on out is based off of her. So be scared, but know things come naturally. Fatherhood was ingrained in me and I had no idea. And don't get down if things don't happen as quick as you think it will. It took 2 years for my wife and I. Best of luck bud. Cars come and go, kids are forever. I'll get my ass in the seat of another mustang sooner or later.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
I haven't considered them yet (25 years old). At this point in my life I don't want kids, but who knows how I will think in the future.

bosscj

Established Member
Premium Member
why do you guys think I bought a terminator LOL. after kid pops out, no more toys for a while haha
Hahaha I did mine backwards. Had my son then bought my boss....total slide of hand and misdirection!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

NJredfire03

Established Member
I haven't considered them yet (25 years old). At this point in my life I don't want kids, but who knows how I will think in the future.

Dude at 25 I said the same thing. You never know what will happen by 30. Just do what you want though.

Users who are viewing this thread