What was your last workout?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
A lot of People I know that don't go because of a child use that as an excuse because they don't want to train.

I disagree. Thats a big moment in life. The gym will always be there, your daughter is only born once. Its a matter of what you value more.

Dusten

Established Member
Saturday was my farthest run of 16.6 miles at a 8:52 pace. Yesterday was hill repeats and a 4 mile progressive pace run (7:45 to 7:00).
Running is by far the most challenging sport I've taken up. I've spent most of my life in the gym lifting weights, so the transition was a difficult process. I also learned that treadmills are from the devil, and I absolutely have to be outside. Pouring rain or 6" of snow is still better than a treadmill.
You're last statement is the truth. I run and will run in 15* weather before I run a treadmill.

Today was a 4 mile trail run at an 8:20. I hurt myself doing a tough mudder in March and am still working back to my old pace

jaxbusa

Established Member
weight training is FAR better for ur health then cardio alone is. and steer clear from cross fit its simply dangerous to ur health and a complete and utter WASTE of ur time!

random shit is NOT functional training! its basically a kipping workout which again is a WASTE of time and jumping around with random exercises is another WASTE of time!

I once wore a heart rate/ pulse monitor during a weight lifting routine and was shocked how elevated my rate was through it. It seemed just as good as cardio.

I heard a lot of negative things about cross fit and tried it once. It wasn't for me. I can see how people can get injuries doing it, however, I am sure every coach is different. I've been asked my opinion on it and I think it can be good. Not everyone wants to look like a bodybuilder. And some people need variety and a little competition to push them. I think people should do what keeps them healthy and coming back for more.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
I once wore a heart rate/ pulse monitor during a weight lifting routine and was shocked how elevated my rate was through it. It seemed just as good as cardio.

I heard a lot of negative things about cross fit and tried it once. It wasn't for me. I can see how people can get injuries doing it, however, I am sure every coach is different. I've been asked my opinion on it and I think it can be good. Not everyone wants to look like a bodybuilder. And some people need variety and a little competition to push them. I think people should do what keeps them healthy and coming back for more.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I heard bad things about it too, but then found out a guy I went to school with ran a gym near the house. I did the free few classes to learn the fundamentals and watch the regular class. I didn't see anyone doing anything that I would consider dangerous. The trainers are always walking around making sure everyone's form is correct and if anyone has an injury they adjust what they do until they get well enough to participate in the regular routine.

I personally take my time when doing the workouts and only record my times when we do the benchmarks so I can compare later. Everyone is really supportive and positive.

Adower

Established Member
Vinyasa yoga 1hr. It literally has improved my life 100 fold. I have sciatica and herniated discs. Since I've done yoga my back and core have really come around

Last edited:

Dusten

Established Member
I disagree. Thats a big moment in life. The gym will always be there, your daughter is only born once. Its a matter of what you value more.
I think it depends on how they word it.

Some people make it sound like their kids prevent them, vice the people who just prefer time at home.

We use exercise as a family thing. I'll go for a5 mile run and my kids go with on bikes.

Branhammer

Established Member
Oh man do I hurt myself all the freaking time. I lift way more weight than I should. After I finally heal I do something else stupid to screw myself up again
Yep. Same here. I sat around for a year getting flabby because of a herniated disk. I actually just got done with my arm day and my shoulder is feeling a bit tweaked. Hope it's better tomorrow...

My daughter was born yesterday. I was in the gym this morning. Heavy back day with some abs to finish. I have been going 7 years straight my wife has been going 4. It's a life style. A lot of People I know that don't go because of a child use that as an excuse because they don't want to train. Time can me found for the gym, maybe 5 am or 10 pm but I know I'll be there.

This. The "no time" excuse is a pile of bullshit. FIND the time. Or just don't bitch about being out of shape.

And it certainly is a lifestyle. I used to go through these cycles where I would work out SUPER hard for a few months until I reached my goals, then immediately fall off the wagon and be a big fat piece a shit ****** for about 6 months and loose all the gains and then some, then get back on it hard again. After I while I realized I was just overdoing it and burning myself out.

So now I've found my happy medium where I still train hard but my gains come slower, rather than kill myself for a few months for quick gains. I still eat the things I like and just try not to go overboard, rather than put myself on an awful strict diet that makes me miserable for a few months.

The key is to find a routine that you are comfortable doing for the rest of your life. Every day. I'm 33, so it took me a very long time to figure it out.

Branhammer

Established Member
Oh and as for crossfit, it definitely works. I don't do it. It's not for me, but I don't deny the results.

That being said, crossfit pull-ups are weak shit. I always crack up when a guy tells me he can do 25-30 pull-ups and then tries to show me those cheating-ass pussy crossfit pull-ups haha.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Oh and as for crossfit, it definitely works. I don't do it. It's not for me, but I don't deny the results.

That being said, crossfit pull-ups are weak shit. I always crack up when a guy tells me he can do 25-30 pull-ups and then tries to show me those cheating-ass pussy crossfit pull-ups haha.

b42.gif

Branhammer

Established Member
Agree 100% with their definition of a pull-up.

All they do with crossfit pull-ups is use momentum. I don't care if you can do 30 crossfit "pull-ups." If you can't do 10 slow, all the way up and all the way back down until your arms are straight pull-ups, then you can't do 10 pull-ups.

verbal

Established Member
I weight train 5 days a week for about 1:15 a day.

Day 1 - chest
Day 2 - back
Day 3 - rest
Day 4 - shoulders
Day 5 - triceps/biceps
Day 6 - legs
Day 7 - rest

I don't nearly get enough cardio or ab work in.

I have quit the gym after a couple of months my whole life. At 39, this is the first time I have ever been completely dedicated to working out and I look forward to going to the gym every day.

CGLhawk260

Established Member
Nice run! Most would say that was an 8:20 mile vs. saying mph.

I quoted in MPH because it was on a treadmill with an average 1.5 incline. This is not my best run on a treadmil that's for sure. My best outdoor run was at a track last year 8 miles in 56.00 7:20 pace. I can't beat that lately 63.00 minutes last week outdoors. I'm 47 years old. IMO Running is the devil compared to other cardio exercises and weightlifting.

Users who are viewing this thread