What speed is the 2013 GT500 coupe limited too?

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Exactly.

They discovered that light at the end of the tunnel was in actuality the freight train that is the '13 GT500.

And they are on the tracks........
Metallica - No Leaf Clover [Official Music Video] - YouTube
reminded me of one of the greatest damn rock songs ever written. now back to your regularly scheduled program...

hence why they fired 100 engineers the other day (GM)?? :idea:
context for the curious...
GM Eats Its Children: Cuts Research And Development | The Truth About Cars

Last edited:

speednutz

Established Member
Some of them are also claiming the it has overheating problems.

I don't know where some of this stuff comes from. :shrug:

They might have gotten that from a video where the Ford guy said there was excessive heat generated on the race track ?
Couple that with the fact they knocked out the grille for more air and one might think there is a problem.

IcebourgGT500

Established Member
We have to remember that the 2012 ZL1 was and attempt to de-throne the 2012 Shelby GT500......against the 2013 Shelby GT500 it does not have a chance!! I can't wait for the info to start emerging on the stats for the Coupe.

There is 2 guys that work at the same chemical plant as I do that have orders left for the ZL1. One year ago it was 5..........once the stats came out and what the dealerships were doing with ADM's 3 of the guys cancelled out there orders. :dw::shrug::dw::beer:

walt

ZL1 for lunch
Established Member
I hate to bring this up again. But now that the car is out, who can show me concrete proof that you don't need the SVT package and/or the track pack on the car to stay unlimited?

Not that I'm planning a 200mph run any time soon ,but if the chance ever came up I want to make sure I ordered my car right. I didn't get the track pack because I most drag race.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I hate to bring this up again. But now that the car is out, who can show me concrete proof that you don't need the SVT package and/or the track pack on the car to stay unlimited?

Not that I'm planning a 200mph run any time soon ,but if the chance ever came up I want to make sure I ordered my car right. I didn't get the track pack because I most drag race.

This is all you need. He(chief svt engineer) has already stated this. I just dont have the actual quote.

The convertible will be limited, the coupe will not be- According to Hameedi.

PowerUp

Established Member
I think some of the confusion is coming from the Car and Driver "preview" drive-along.

Speaking of mass, there will also be a convertible version of the GT500, as before. And though, theoretically, any 2013 Shelby should have the muscle to hit 200 mph, Ford will govern the top speed of the convertible to 155 mph or so, the current Shelby’s speed limit. The heavier convertible has a softer suspension and no rollover hoop. It’s also likely that the Shelby coupe without the Performance and Track packages may be governed, due to cooling issues—the Track package adds engine-, transmission-, and differential-lubricant coolers. After all, SVT says the Shelby coupe weighs 3850 pounds, and its powertrain generates a lot of  heat.

Feels Like a BMW?

IIRC that information was published elsewhere too.

So what is the REAL black and white answer?

walt

ZL1 for lunch
Established Member
I think some of the confusion is coming from the Car and Driver "preview" drive-along.

Speaking of mass, there will also be a convertible version of the GT500, as before. And though, theoretically, any 2013 Shelby should have the muscle to hit 200 mph, Ford will govern the top speed of the convertible to 155 mph or so, the current Shelby’s speed limit. The heavier convertible has a softer suspension and no rollover hoop. It’s also likely that the Shelby coupe without the Performance and Track packages may be governed, due to cooling issues—the Track package adds engine-, transmission-, and differential-lubricant coolers. After all, SVT says the Shelby coupe weighs 3850 pounds, and its powertrain generates a lot of  heat.

Feels Like a BMW?

IIRC that information was published elsewhere too.

So what is the REAL black and white answer?

Well, is there truth to what car and driver is saying now that the car is here?
That's what I'm trying to find out. I need proof.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Nowhere in the owners manual does it mention limits, but I'm not sure it discusses Verts either.

It does 100 easy enough.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member

c'mon man, if the speed was limited without the track pack, then it would've undoubtedly been mentioned in at least ONE review. there's a reason that it hasn't been mentioned in a review...

walt

ZL1 for lunch
Established Member
c'mon man, if the speed was limited without the track pack, then it would've undoubtedly been mentioned in at least ONE review. there's a reason that it hasn't been mentioned in a review...

You would think that to be the case ,but I would like to know for sure.

walt

ZL1 for lunch
Established Member
Something tells me "walt" is on recon from Camaro5.

Haha!! :lol: That's funny right there.

No, I've been just reading a lot of mixed facts about it and want to make sure that I ordered the car so that it will do 200 MPH if I ever get the chance.

Besides, what fun would it be to have 662HP and only be able to go 155MPH.

I could do that in my 2010.

Last edited:

Florian

Established Member
straight from the sourcebook:

Shelby GT500 Convertible Features
• The same 650-horsepower(1) 5.8L supercharged V8
engine and Tremec ® 6-speed manual transmission
as the Shelby GT500 Coupe
– Top speed limited to 155 mph on convertible

No limits on coupe.

F

walt

ZL1 for lunch
Established Member
straight from the sourcebook:

Shelby GT500 Convertible Features
• The same 650-horsepower(1) 5.8L supercharged V8
engine and Tremec ® 6-speed manual transmission
as the Shelby GT500 Coupe
– Top speed limited to 155 mph on convertible

No limits on coupe.

F

Where's this source book ,and where can I read it?

walt

ZL1 for lunch
Established Member
FYI- the coupe does in fact do over 155

You seem to be the guy in the know here. You helped me out with fords ordering system.

Where can I read the facts about the speed limiter in the coupe ,and if you need the SVT package or both the SVT package and the track pack to get the couple unlimited?

Users who are viewing this thread