What’s Next? ZR1

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I highly doubt it. Not even close. Price point is likely to follow the same pattern, 5-10k additional to current models.

Weren't C6Z $125k
I think costs will go up for sure. This will be harder to work on than a front engine car.
Also going to DOHC? Going to cost more.
Before the ZR1, the c7z loaded was going up to $120k. I can definitely see a c8 Z06 going to $150k.

Even if it was $200k it would be a smoking deal considering it will walk all over an FGT for $300k less

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Meanwhile Dodge, with a shoe string budget, has been turning out cool hype cars and doing everything they can to waterfall those features and innovates to the pleabs buying the lower tiered cars.

Dodge has 49 versions of the same car that is based on a 10 y.o. chassis. At some point this gets old. I would not exactly call this innovation. Maybe that is why you can buy REs off the lot at a discount to MSRP.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Weren't C6Z $125k

Even if it was $200k it would be a smoking deal considering it will walk all over an FGT for $300k less

C6ZR1s initially got up in the 120s. I don’t think the C6Z got much past 100K and that’d be a loaded car, carbon edition limited etc.. a regular new C6Z back in the day could be bought around 70K.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Ford didn’t build it, papa. Multimatic did.

The production model FGT (not the race car) was built and sold by invite only, to people with the biggest social media following, not the average car guy.
Ford created it. It was all Ford. MM brought in their engineering for the CF and suspension but it was built and created at Ford by Ford Race employees.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Weren't C6Z $125k

Who cares, the c6 zr1 is a smoking deal compared to the 05/06 Ford GT. Rather have the Ford GT tho. Can give me 4 zr1s for the price of that FGT, still take the GT.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
The post below says differently.
The average car guy got 70% of the GT’s built. People who have no social media and or name.

If you just want some info and ignore trolling...

I went to Rolex 24 with Garen Nicoghosian. Picked him up in Tampa in the GT and gave him the opportunity to spend a couple hundred miles in the car. He was the exterior design manager on the car. That basement studio at the Ford Product Development Center in Dearborn you've seen in all the stories; that's where he worked on the car basically 24/7 dating back to 2014. If you know anything about Project Silver, he worked on that too dating back to 2012, I believe. A lot of the stuff from Project Silver made its way to PHX. If I had to say what guy did most of the day to day minutaie on the design of the car from, it would be him. Surfaces, materials, shapes, etc all of it. 350 miles in a car with a guy who did all that stuff...you will hear stories about all of it.

Chris Svensson is in charge of all design of all cars in North America. Craig Metros is in charge of all exterior design. Svensson->Metros->Nicoghosian. Before Metros came back to the U.S, an Australian guy named Todd Willing had that job. There's a lot of people involved in the design of the car, but all of those guys personally put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into the GT in that studio. I don't pay as much attention to interior stuff but I know somewhat of the interior counterpart to Nicoghosian was a guy named Bill Mangan, who also did most of the interior theme stuff on the 05.

You can't really pin one guy on the design of a car, so I would say those 5 names are the most important names in the process. I would also say that you can't really assign any credit to anything on this car without ultimately getting to Raj Nair, who was the VP in charge of every product Ford builds around the world at the time. This car is his, and his hands are all over it no matter what the topic.

MM was used on production of the car because they've been a Ford technical partner for a long time and the whole racing thing. Multimatic nearly built the 05/06 GT, and built the first prototypes of that car. Ultimately John Coletti somehow handed it to Saleen instead, but MM still at least ended up producing a couple thousand billet control arms for the car. The guy that runs the production facility in Markham actually ran Milford Fabricating in Detroit when they were producing the frames for the 05/06. He commutes from here to run the plant. The guy that runs the paint facility at MNV, ran the paint facility at Saleen Special Vehicles in MI when they produced the 05/06. You can probably get a sense that there's a lot of repeat personnel on both cars.

Multimatic's technical expertise comes in on chassis and suspension. The DSSV damper is ubiquitous across the industry and race world. A guy named George Howard-Chappell runs their WEC team and is kind of the race brains. I think he and this aerodynamicist Mark Handford (best known from F1) did a lot of the "maximize race capability to the rules" stuff. He ran Prodrive for years when they won LM for Ferrari and Aston Martin. A guy named Brian Willis was an MM employee responsible for a bunch of chassis/suspension stuff that I gather dated back to the Le Mans LMP-winning 1999 BMW V12 LMR. Larry Holt, who is the overall brains of Multimatic, is the dude that runs it all. He is truly a beyond amazing character. I've hung out with him quite a bit the last few years and everyone is coming to hm for something. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of motorsport. I've walked the plant with him twice and that alone is worth the price of admission if you are a car guy.

Beyond that, it would require a book to get into the people working on the car in Allen Park. Everyone here is familiar with Jamal, Pericak, but there's a whole bunch of dudes who have spent the last 3 years of their Ford careers at FP doing nothing but working on this car. Some of them will continue to do nothing but GT until it's completion. The "it's a MM car" thing is a cheap troll.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
As a consumer I'd rather be buying a product at a discount than with an ADM.

I bet Dodge built 20:1 RE to GT350Rs.

Dodges gamble is they'd rather show solid sales and catch an extra sale at discount instead of miss a sale entirely and let a dealer make some side cash. (to many vs not enough)
Dodge has 49 versions of the same car that is based on a 10 y.o. chassis. At some point this gets old. I would not exactly call this innovation. Maybe that is why you can buy REs off the lot at a discount to MSRP.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
The post below says differently.
The average car guy got 70% of the GT’s built. People who have no social media and or name.

The article below says different:

3008C248-25E9-4DE6-BCEE-BA91CFD744D6.png

merkyworks

Established Member

No dog in this fight but just to stir the pot a little and I don't feel like doing work at work :D

So '03-04 Terminators are considered by some to have been/still are the best late model mustang and that car was built on the SN-95 chassis which was 10 years old at that point. If you really want to get technical the SN-95 platform was just a variant of the Fox platform which ran for 13 years, so you could say the Terminator was built on a chassis that was over 23 years old. So old chassis platforms can still turn out good cars.

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
according to this logic neither toyota nor subaru can call their brz/GT86 cars toyotas or subarus.
this is a problematic line of argumentation.

blk02edge

Established Member
Does it really matter who built it? The FGT was and never will be affordable to the masses. I don't think we'll ever know the percentage of who did what but multimatic is pretty much the king of GT racing and I doubt Ford had their fingers up their ass. The GT is an awesome car that will forever be an icon. My ONLY gripe is the media embargo Ford had on publishing real numbers and now the car is 3 years old and technically irrelevant in the game. Well and that I can't afford one unless I sell my house and live in a shed.

Typical Ford marketing or lack thereof

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
No dog in this fight but just to stir the pot a little and I don't feel like doing work at work :D

So '03-04 Terminators are considered by some to have been/still are the best late model mustang and that car was built on the SN-95 chassis which was 10 years old at that point. If you really want to get technical the SN-95 platform was just a variant of the Fox platform which ran for 13 years, so you could say the Terminator was built on a chassis that was over 23 years old. So old chassis platforms can still turn out good cars.
Lets be honest, that chassis isn't the reason it's still adored.

The first time I drove one in anger, the only thing I could say was I liked the engine and the way it looks.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Why no Boss? Shove the 5.2 into a normal body GT with PP, MT82 and rear seat delete.

Isn't that essentially what the Bullitt is, minus the 5.2 block? It even has the GT350 intake manifold.

True, but he asked where the argument is coming from.

Every company has its flaws, and these things are cyclical. Dodge spent decades producing undesirable garbage. It's only since 2015 with Fiat that they've found a good stride. Even then, long term outlook is still marginal.

SRT was putting out desirable cars long before 2015. Remember the 300C SRT8, Charger SRT8, Challenger SRT8, Grand Cherokee SRT8, Caliber SRT4, Neon SRT4, etc.?

Weren't C6Z $125k

Would I (or most anybody shopping in that price range) buy a C8 ZR1 over the competition at that price? Heck no! The C8 absolutely IS a game changer, but it's a game changer for its price. Start pricing it the same as cars it can compete with, and Chevy wouldn't be able to sell a single one of them. At those prices, design and attention to detail become extremely important. The C8 isn't there yet. Except for the horrible steering wheel, I'd say the C7 actually has a nicer interior than the C8. (Hmm... I wonder if a steering wheel swap will be possible.)

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
No dog in this fight but just to stir the pot a little and I don't feel like doing work at work

You would be derelict if you did not.

I am not saying the Chal/Char are not awesome, I have one. But pooping out a slightly different version of the same car over and over is not innovative. At some point they will be left behind, arguably it is happening now.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Looks much better.

Doubt the hood will have the big bubble for the supercharger though.....

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Maybe the bubble is so you can carry 3 golf bags in the front? Or 2 golf bags and a cooler!

Users who are viewing this thread