What’s Next? ZR1

smitty2919

Established Member
I've read a lot of response's but how does this put into the Porsche market like a GT-3 or TT Carrera

Performance wise some think it is projected to be on par with a GT3 or GT3RS. Build quality is doubtful to be Porsche-like but as to be expected.

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
I don't think this will hurt 911 sales at all. Its a very different kind of thing. Its definitely going to disrupt the use market in a huge way. Once these things are a couple years old I see it driving NA porsches into the dumpster because you KNOW this vette, as good as it is, won't retain its value so it'll just drive everything else down.

...and then we swoop in to buy dirt cheap c6's and caymans! :D

merkyworks

Established Member
Ford stopped selling cars in North America. They're still making and selling cars in the rest of the world. They just released an all-new Focus in Europe a few months ago. The ST version is already getting high marks from reviewers.

Sure Ford is selling cars in other countries, cool, but if you can't get it here in USA then it's an irrelevant statement/point. Last I checked North Carolina is in the USA so that means the only Ford cars you can buy is a mustang or a GT.

raptor
gt350
bullitt
every other mustang variant
anything with the 2.7 ecoboost
all the ST vehicles
focus RS
GT
etc etc
then just do that going back in time to list out all of the most iconic cars of all time.

Hey Marty McFly this isn't back to the future, we are talking current/2020 models. Raptor is an SUV and every mustang variant is still a mustang so that still counts as just one car.

I'll buy you a cheeseburger if the standard C8 is faster than a GT around a track.

My comparison was the C8 to the 2020 GT500 as they are similar is price and likely performance, the FGT is in a totally different category.

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
Hey Marty McFly this isn't back to the future, we are talking current/2020 models. Raptor is an SUV and every mustang variant is still a mustang so that still counts as just one car.

yeah well the rest of us live in the real world where we don't buy a new car every year and old cars don't vaporize the moment the clock strikes midnight new years eve.

And the GT500 isn't a direct competitor for the vette just because they are priced similarly. If they are then so is the raptor and so is the boxster. They're all completely different animals.

Ford makes NOTHING that competes with the vette in the market. They never have. The only thing that has changed is that the C8 is even more out of reach compared to mustangs simply because its now vastly superior in terms of engineering.

C0bra99

Established Member
Ford makes NOTHING that competes with the vette in the market. They never have.
Really so everyone is saying the new C8 is a super car (Which I agree) but nothing is in the same market because of price? I thought the GT was also a super car?so that would be a competitor. You can't just base it on price! I know the C8 kicks the crap out of it for price but that can't be the only requirement. Oh and BTW the C8 competes to all the other mid engine cars in this segment Lamborghini Ferrari Koenigseggs etc

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Really so everyone is saying the new C8 is a super car (Which I agree) but nothing is in the same market because of price? I thought the GT was also a super car?so that would be a competitor. You can't just base it on price! I know the C8 kicks the crap out of it for price but that can't be the only requirement. Oh and BTW the C8 competes to all the other mid engine cars in this segment Lamborghini Ferrari Koenigseggs etc
And Porsche Boxster....

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member

I'm not sold on it being a supercar. being mid engined does not a supercar make. that, and the GT with all of its insanity and price is edging in on hypercar territory.

the GT is more aventador and the C8 is edging in on huracan land in my mind. the vette has always competed with supercars, that doesn't make it one. a mustang can compete with a vette performance wise but that doesn't make them the same sort of thing.

of course this is all very opinion based. I just see the vette more in the base carrera/cayman/boxster/lotus realm. this is going to TANK F360 pricing, though because you'd be crazy to pick one up when you can get this for less with a warranty and american v8 reliability.

C0bra99

Established Member
Very good points and I do respect the debate. Lots of people on here seems to disagree and that the C8 is godlike and owns all.

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
yeah, until the splash dissipates and the water mellows out. GM did a great thing and it'll change things massively but I don't think this is going to drive the vette into ferrari or lambo territory in the mind of the consumer. It'll always be "just a vette" to that crowd and in the minds of the average consumer. Everyone thought the last ZR1 would dominate all but from what I've seen while it CAN be very impressive around a track it also is very difficult to use. hopefully this is the breath of fresh air we all think it is but at the end of the day consumers drive the market and this car parked next to a huracan would be just a vette and a GT500 parked next to the vette would be just a mustang.

and there isn't a thing in the world wrong with that. I'm restomod-ing a 97 cobra with 99 cobra drivetrain front to back. not because everyone else thinks its the best but because I think its the best.

different strokes. I just don't get the ford hate in this thread. its dumb.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Very good points and I do respect the debate. Lots of people on here seems to disagree and that the C8 is godlike and owns all.
You sound like a fanboy, godlike and owns all? LOL, car isnt even out yet.

Also, mentioning koenigsegg? Please tell me you're trolling. Koenigsegg makes multi million dollar hyper cars. Why even bring it up? Should we include F1 cars too? The c8 is cheaper than those and is also mid engine.

C0bra99

Established Member
You sound like a fanboy, godlike and owns all? LOL, car isnt even out yet.

Also, mentioning koenigsegg? Please tell me you're trolling. Koenigsegg makes multi million dollar hyper cars. Why even bring it up? Should we include F1 cars too? The c8 is cheaper than those and is also mid engine.
Fanboy of what? The C8? If you read my other posts I'm not on that bandwagon and I was actually commenting on alot of other posts about this car is changing the world as we know it(You know Godlike). My point was the C8 in now in a much bigger lake with some bigger fish that are a direct competitor. Price is only one metric. Yes I might of embellished to get my point across :)

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Fanboy of what? The C8? If you read my other posts I'm not on that bandwagon and I was actually commenting on alot of other posts about this car is changing the world as we know it(You know Godlike). My point was the C8 in now in a much bigger lake with some bigger fish that are a direct competitor. Price is only one metric. Yes I might of embellished to get my point across :)
One of those trolls is kaneda, he posted saying the c8 will be able to run 10.3 in the 1/4 mile.

It seems C8 hype has already died down if we are already talking about a fricken c8 ZR1. The c7 zr1 didnt come out till the 6 year of the c7 lifecycle. LOL

merkyworks

Established Member
I'm restomod-ing a 97 cobra with 99 cobra drivetrain front to back. not because everyone else thinks its the best but because I think its the best.

That's a lot of work for basically the same engine but with different intake/ignition and same T-45 transmission. Granted the IRS is a nice upgrade but why not just swap in the IRS and be done? Can you really call that a restomod?

Users who are viewing this thread