Went to the dyno! Hellion twins inside

OveRBoreD

Established Member
Went to JMS to have them dyno tune the stang. (Love BBR and their tune was good just wanted to get it on the dyno and tuned in person). First off Monty's tune is beastly. Still have some idle issues but apparently my car is a freak and doesn't like idling. We are working on it. Second thing is dont get freaked by the PSI because it was about one full pound off before the car was started. We hit about 7-7.5psi maybe. My BC only read just over 6.5 psi. Also the car is pushing oil in the upper RPMs due to what is believed to be too much flow to the turbos.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/p2o-adM20UE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2011 GT 6m 3.55 gears
Hellion twin 62mm JB
ID1000
Vortech non programmable BAP
JBA O/R x
Stock OTA with magnaflow 3in resonators
Roush axleback
Forgestar cf5 20x9 & 20x10.5 wrapped in Invos
GT/CS lower fascia w/fogs
Roush grill
Barton 2-post
JHR clutch line
Everything else stock :)

Dyno sheets from TT 5.0 by OveRBoreD302, on Flickr

Dyno sheets from TT 5.0 by OveRBoreD302, on Flickr
Lines in graph represent 100rwhp/100rwtq. Sorry didn't get that in the pic.

There is some power hidden in the exhaust restriction but for now I'm good. Next up THE TRACK! Eventually....

BTW many thanks to Montey and the crew at JMS. Had the PCM tank and Montey worked through it cool as a cucumber. Great group of guys!

*Edit* 4sep2013

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lW1HV9PiQVc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Following StevenStarke's 2nd-3rd gear roll thought I would post my own that I had laying around for a week or two in case anyone is interested in the view. I did short shift into third after the spin.

UPDATE: Went back to JMS in Lucedale, MS and Monty sat on the dyno for 3.5 hours figuring out my stalling and drivability issues. Happy to say they are fixed! Car idles/drives as smooooth as milk and not the lumpy rancid stuff either. Kudos to Monty and the crew! MPG is still on the lowerish side (averaged 21@ 70-80 on the ride home) but I'm sure there is more to that than the tune. Also put the foot to it on the dyno with the only change since the last dyno being the 3in MBRP race cat back (meaning no change to WOT tuning). It put up some pretty numbers. We had a spike to 8.2psi around 5.5k but pretty much rode 7psi the whole way before and after. Glad to say I'm Happy now and already Jones-ing for more power. Awww the path of power is such a cruel temptress.

2011 TT coyote JMS by OveRBoreD302, on Flickr

Last edited:

OveRBoreD

Established Member
Awesome numbers. how is that non programmable BAP? Im in need of BAP for better numbers on my single kit. Would you recommend different one?:rockon:

So far the BAP is good. It's going to end up killing my pump ahead of its time of coarse but that's to be expected. Duty cycles looked great w/ plenty of head room. I would recommend JMS BAP. It's plug and play now and can be wired to be ramped up w/ boost. Helps w/ pump life and I have never heard a bad thing about them.

very nice.
so what is that smoke from?

Oil is pushing past the seals in the turbo at high rpm/under boost. Needs small restrictors. I've been told its not really a problem at this level. Will get it fixed eventually.

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
These motors flow a lot of oil and we have started seeing the turbo's feed line need's a restriction fitting added. Not a problem and it does not hurt anything. Many people use them as so do we and it does fix it. Hellion sends them with their kits now. We usually see it in late 2012s, 13s, and 14s.

OP, No hard feelings and it's been a pleasure working with you too. JMS is a good company. Sometimes, a dyno is a great tool to have.

Anything you need, do not hesitate to call.

OveRBoreD

Established Member
These motors flow a lot of oil and we have started seeing the turbo's feed line need's a restriction fitting added. Not a problem and it does not hurt anything. Many people use them as so do we and it does fix it. Hellion sends them with their kits now. We usually see it in late 2012s, 13s, and 14s.

OP, No hard feelings and it's been a pleasure working with you too. JMS is a good company. Sometimes, a dyno is a great tool to have.

Anything you need, do not hesitate to call.

It really has been great and will definitely be coming your way for future needs. :beer:

D.T.R

Established Member
Yeah i believe my hellion kit came with these fittings for this same reason.

And like Steve said, it's nothing new. Hondas have been using restrictors on the feed lines for the same reason, the motor has a lot of oil pressure. You'll be alright.

CSG

Established Member
As far as idle is concerned, I moved my mass air sensor into the intake tube from the intercooler. Also installed a straightning screen. Not a lot of clean airflow in the intercooler at idle. I had to go with the Pro-M sensor to keep from pegging with it relocated. Originally Hellion gave both options with the kit but they did away with the one in the intake tube probably to keep people from having to spend extra on a new sensor. Mine idled OK but Stretch's idled better so we copied it.

OveRBoreD

Established Member
As far as idle is concerned, I moved my mass air sensor into the intake tube from the intercooler. Also installed a straightning screen. Not a lot of clean airflow in the intercooler at idle. I had to go with the Pro-M sensor to keep from pegging with it relocated. Originally Hellion gave both options with the kit but they did away with the one in the intake tube probably to keep people from having to spend extra on a new sensor. Mine idled OK but Stretch's idled better so we copied it.

My idle bounces (750-1k) and won't steady. It stalls a lot also especially after it try's to idle for a few seconds and I give it a blip of throttle. On its way down it just stalls out. Won't catch itself. Doesn't seem to do it when moving. I really don't want to relocate and retune especially after a couple people have been running this setup fine and I just got this setup dyno tuned. We will see. Have a couple things to try.

DonutPatrol5.0

Established Member
My idle bounces (750-1k) and won't steady. It stalls a lot also especially after it try's to idle for a few seconds and I give it a blip of throttle. On its way down it just stalls out. Won't catch itself. Doesn't seem to do it when moving. I really don't want to relocate and retune especially after a couple people have been running this setup fine and I just got this setup dyno tuned. We will see. Have a couple things to try.

I have same prob with the idle and my MAF sensor is up on the tubing not in the intercooler. my car idles and runs fine on start up but driving around and coming to stop lights it will bounce and or jus stall out after 2-3 min at the light have to tap throttle when it starts to stall

CSG

Established Member
Yes, I am running an offroad x with Magnaflow 3" comp system. Once I get some track numbers I plan to make a thread on my car.

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
I have 2 of those fittings brand new if you want them, figure $40 shipped. Pm me if anything.

nice #'s, hopefully I can get my car on the dyno soon..

davidbcasey

Established Member
It's not just your car...they tuned mine and I have idle surge issues as well. It was worse from the previous tuner as it would stall coming to a stop, but it still hunts at idle. Chip wants me to bring the car back but they had the car a couple months so one would think that it would be better. Is there anyone that can tune these boosted cars to stock driveability?

CSG

Established Member
I wanted to clarify for those that may not know. My above post about power flat lining was with the stock tail pipes with resonators and GT500 mufflers. What I disconnected the exhaust I went up around 70 rwhp with no other changes. I then changed to my current exhaust setup.

Users who are viewing this thread