Went to the dyno! Hellion twins inside

robbinthehood

Established Member
External and larger wastegate and larger turbo as well as all new hot side piping and maf relocated to intake.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

ajpturbo

Established Member
No piping is below the subframe/K member. You won't be using your stock manifolds as you said in the other thread.

ajpturbo

Established Member
Op how is the drivability of the twins?also is there piping below the subframe?

Drivability will be dependent on your tune. And deciding how you will go about the strange stalling/surging idle condition.

I say relocate the 02's. Some say it's all in the tune. Some say remove BOV springs. Some say no problem at all. Good luck with it.

I don't really know I have turbos til I get into the pedal

OveRBoreD

Established Member
^^^this. It's all in the tune on drivability. It does feel kind of anemic at times because timing is taken out even at partial throttle. I'll post up some vids I did the other day to show the turbo lag since everybody thinks about it. (Was done at 2k rpm in 5th so I wasn't expecting it to kick in hard)

2011 Mustang GT Hellion Twin turbo lag - YouTube
Couldn't embed the vid with my phone.

streetmuscle07

Established Member
^^^this. It's all in the tune on drivability. It does feel kind of anemic at times because timing is taken out even at partial throttle. I'll post up some vids I did the other day to show the turbo lag since everybody thinks about it. (Was done at 2k rpm in 5th so I wasn't expecting it to kick in hard)

2011 Mustang GT Hellion Twin turbo lag - YouTube
Couldn't embed the vid with my phone.

Are you running the 6262 bb? So 4k rpm isnt bad lag.people can just down shift also while driving

ajpturbo

Established Member
I know some of you will disagree, but a mustang forum is not the best place to get turbo information. The import scene is much more versed in turbos. They are much more widespread because they are much more dependent upon them to run with others due to the displacement handicap.

The "lag" on a hellion twin kit is NON existent.

The lag time is the time measured from when you stomp on it to when you hit your desired boost level while in the OPERATING range of the turbo.

If you have a turbo that doesn't spool or light off until 4k and you are holding your foot down from 2k to 4k that is not the "lag" time.

say your boost level would be 8 psi and you can hit that at 4k. The lag time would be the time it takes to get to 8 psi measured from when you floor it at 4k.

If you put it in 6th gear at 1500rpm and hold it down and you say the turbo lag is terrible you are completely wrong. The turbo will simply never spool there.

Once you are in the operating rpm of the turbo, the lag will come from the size of the intercooler, the length of piping and design of the turbo among other things.. Some of these turbos today are very sophisticated and smaller intercoolers have become more efficient the turbo lag of old is all but gone.

I got smaller turbos than what the OP has. That alone didn't change the lag time. A bigger contributing factor was that I went ball bearing. I hit 5 psi by 2500rpm that is NOT an improvement in turbo lag, but a shift in the operating range of the turbo. Once you are in the appropriate range the hellion twin kits spool almost instantly...As I'm sure other coyote twin kits do as a lot of them are using similar turbo systems.

ajpturbo

Established Member
^^^my fault. Meant boost threshold. Most people think it's lag much easier to call it that.

LOL I didn't write that in response to you....just wanted to speak about lag in general and for people that might think you have bad lag lol.

The only thing I think my friend has on me with a 11' kenne bell is he can make full boost at 1500rpm...I always liked that in my old kenne bell on the highway with tall gears..Didn't have to shift to pass people.

ajpturbo

Established Member
Nice...I'm happy but if I did it again I may go Full Race.....We better knock this off before we upset the natives here lol

Users who are viewing this thread