Votes: 47 32.4%
  • Shotgun

Votes: 87 60.0%
  • Other, (please specify)

Votes: 11 7.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NXSVTCOBRA

Not necessarily, plus that gives away the element of suprise which is IMO a bad idea

That's your opinion and I respect that however I will not keep any of my weapons in my house with rounds chambered. Everytime I walk through my door I clear whatever weapon I'm carrying. If I suspect an intruder I will chamber a round it's just that simple. Every situation will be different however your reply is still suggesting keeping a loaded weapon which is something I will not do with a small child, If I lived alone then maybe.

upside

AWD V8
Established Member
i got 2 bean bag 12guage rounds from a buddy of mine as my first two warning shots. if he keeps coming at me after that he aint human and gets pumped full of double 00 buck shot.

NXSVTCOBRA

and if he is closer than you originally thought there is a better chance to dis arm you and use you own weapon against you. if you were to come around a corner and said intruder is there it gives the upper hand to him as the weapon is not ready

wow, some people obviously cannot grasp a point.

timpryor

Turbo'd ST
Established Member
That's your opinion and I respect that however I will not keep any of my weapons in my house with rounds chambered. Everytime I walk through my door I clear whatever weapon I'm carrying. If I suspect an intruder I will chamber a round it's just that simple. Every situation will be different however your reply is still suggesting keeping a loaded weapon which is something I will not do with a small child, If I lived alone then maybe.

Agree'd I guess i misunderstood what you were saying, like you were using the shotgun racking as your primary means of getting the BG out. I definately respect you looking our for your kiddo.

whitetrash1

Established Member
wow, some people obviously cannot grasp a point.

i do understand your point about not having a gun ready to fire around a small child and i agree with that.

i actually like the idea of having the gun unloaded with the mag next to it so that if you are ever put in the situation you have to focus a little more and be more awake and alert before any kind of confrontation. however once you are going into a confrontation i feel you should be in ready to fire state.

hb712

Established Member
Smaller Caliber does not necessarily mean less overpenetration, round type and velocity come into play

Not necessarily, plus that gives away the element of suprise which is IMO a bad idea

I actually do keep a round chambered when I am at home, If i'm not its locked in the safe, plus everyone in my household knows the Cooper rules, All guns are ALLWAY loaded. If there were children in my house it would be a different story.

Ballistics test for those interested
http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm
I agree, however, I think that goes a little above basic firearm knowledge when someone is looking for home defense. You are correct though.

You are correct that you lose the element of surprise when you chamber a round. The issue here is tactics. Do you want to surprise your adversary in this situation? Do you want to attempt to scare your adversary in this situation?

I personally don't keep a round chambered because surprise is already lost with my dogs.

GTFlow

Freak of Nature
Established Member
I keep my shotgun handy.......but I really don't see anyone breaking in to Base housing....

*knock on wood*

85FourEyedGT

I AM HOOK!
Established Member
hmm at first i was thinking of buying a mossberg 12 gauge, but the whole penetration arguement makes so much sense and I have lots of family in my house, if i bought a mossberg 500 could i shoot 20 gauge through it? or would i need a 20 gauge shotgun?

Havoc331

Established Member
i got 2 bean bag 12guage rounds from a buddy of mine as my first two warning shots. if he keeps coming at me after that he aint human and gets pumped full of double 00 buck shot.

F that bean bag shit. I'm shooting to kill if someone comes in my home & i'm not giving any warning shots either. That will get you killed. I have NO mercy for someone that doesn't belong in my home that gets shot to death with my 12 gauge.

Want foregiveness then get religion. Don't come asking me for it

03DOHC

Established Member
My Remington 870 Express 12 Gauge is loaded with the first shell being #4buck followed by 00buck. I have my shooting lanes and safe place planned out and I hope I never have to shoot some dumb shit in my house.

crew_dawg16

Established Member
hmm at first i was thinking of buying a mossberg 12 gauge, but the whole penetration arguement makes so much sense and I have lots of family in my house, if i bought a mossberg 500 could i shoot 20 gauge through it? or would i need a 20 gauge shotgun?

If you want to shoot 20ga, then you need a 20ga shotgun. Think of the gauge being the caliber of the shotgun.

musclefan21

Established Member
M4! spray and pray! lol

seriously i would get a handgun, multiple rounds in a row, enough to scare somebody.

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
How about a little lightning and a little thunder....

joedirt2ay.jpg

Life's a garden, dig it.

Silver04L

93 Octane Member
Established Member
For the OP, I am guessing that you don't have a lot of firearms experience....In your case, I would definitely start off with a shotgun. As said, they are relatively easy to hit with, especially at close ranges, and typically is only going to take one shot, again especially at close ranges. As for overpenetration, another option for you would to get what ever shotgun you prefer, Benneli makes a nice realtively cheap one, the super nova I believe. If you can find a local gun store that carries breeching rounds for a 12ga. They are usually a frangible round that is designed to not over penetrate. They will still get the job done though. I wouldn't get a hand gun for home defense if you are a new shooter. And if you and your wife are new shooters, whoever suggested a .45 is on crack. While I am sure that most of the "manly men" on here will argue, a .45 is not the weapon I would want my wife to rely on if she didn't have much experience. The weight, recoil, and muzzle flip of most .45s, combined with shooting in a low-light and high stress situation will almost guarantee a miss. Then what?

I am a firearms instructor for the military and all I own are .45s, but this isn't my first day behind a handgun....

Last edited:

justav6

BRING IT<DONT SING IT
Established Member
the 12 gauge pump action shotgun IMO is the best home defense. Only the sound is the MOST intimidating up to date.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
I have a tactical shotty for when they come in, a M4 for when they try to run and a xd40 for me to finish them off.

Users who are viewing this thread