Votes: 87 60.0%
  • Other, (please specify)

Votes: 11 7.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

t0ad

The Nightman
Established Member
I would say handgun (S&W 686/Kimber 1911), but lately I've kept my RR CAR15 with Trijicon Tritium ACOG handy.

whitetrash1

Established Member
Thanks for the advice :rockon:. That is the reason I was originally not going to get a handgun, do you think a 12ga would penetrate the wall with 9 shot? I do live in a town home and my neighbors have two small children that share a room on the other side of my bedroom wall.

in your situation i would go with handgun with a hollow point. the round will expand and thus slow if you miss the intruder and hit a wall. Also while a shotgun is better for stopping power and accuracy, it will be easier to move through out the house with a hand gun. you can also operate a hand gun with one hand versus needing two for the shotgun. this will make it much easier to negotiate corners and turn on lights.

there is a pretty good article on this very arguement in the guns & ammo book of personel defense.

Dr. Gonzo

We're in Bat Country
Established Member
Premium Member
a 410 shotgun. You'll kill the intruder but don't have to worry about exit wound shot going through walls.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
A computer, that can change the liberal votes to conservative with each election.

hb712

Established Member
A smaller caliber handgun would be ideal. You need to consider what is beyond the target you are firing at. I personally have my 12g with 4 in the tube (3" sabot - 00 buck - 3" sabot- 00 buck). I wouldn't suggest this for most people and, I admit my setup is not ideal.

If you are in a suburb or city, a smaller caliber handgun (9mm or smaller) should do the trick. I do like the new Taurus that chambers a .410 shot too. For intimidation, a shotgun or AK will easily do the trick. Both of these weapons have loud actions that could serve the frighten intruders.

NXSVTCOBRA

actually he is right. if you KNOW there is an intruder in the house, you should have already chambered a round. that doesn't mean keep a round chambered at all times.

Exactly, thank you

if there indeed is an intruder a round WILL have to be chambered correct? Therefore your statements are irrelevant.

Therefore you make no valid point. Unless I am a psychic and know hmmmm an intruder is on his way into my house let me get up and have a round chambered and wait on him. No it generally doesn't work like that. His exact post read: "why havn't you chambered a round by the time the intruder is in the house? thats just stupid IMHO" implying that I should have a chambered weapon in my house.

whitetrash1

Established Member
if there indeed is an intruder a round WILL have to be chambered correct? Therefore your statements are irrelevant.

Therefore you make no valid point. Unless I am a psychic and know hmmmm an intruder is on his way into my house let me get up and have a round chambered and wait on him. No it generally doesn't work like that. His exact post read: "why havn't you chambered a round by the time the intruder is in the house? thats just stupid IMHO" implying that I should have a chambered weapon in my house.

based on your statement that was quoted, you know there is an intruder, therefore you shouldn't be waiting on him to chamber a round. my statement is still valid.

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
actually he is right. if you KNOW there is an intruder in the house, you should have already chambered a round. that doesn't mean keep a round chambered at all times.

That's right...just like timpryor said. I keep it (handgun and shotgun) loaded but not chambered. If I have to reach for it the first thing is to chamber a round, then investigate the noise.

Edit: Hey whitetrash1, nice avatar.

Last edited:

timpryor

Turbo'd ST
Established Member
A smaller caliber handgun would be ideal. You need to consider what is beyond the target you are firing at. I personally have my 12g with 4 in the tube (3" sabot - 00 buck - 3" sabot- 00 buck). I wouldn't suggest this for most people and, I admit my setup is not ideal.

If you are in a suburb or city, a smaller caliber handgun (9mm or smaller) should do the trick. I do like the new Taurus that chambers a .410 shot too. For intimidation, a shotgun or AK will easily do the trick. Both of these weapons have loud actions that could serve the frighten intruders.
Smaller Caliber does not necessarily mean less overpenetration, round type and velocity come into play

and if there indeed is an intruder he will hear the round being chambered as I stated. :shrug:
Not necessarily, plus that gives away the element of suprise which is IMO a bad idea

I actually do keep a round chambered when I am at home, If i'm not its locked in the safe, plus everyone in my household knows the Cooper rules, All guns are ALLWAY loaded. If there were children in my house it would be a different story.

Ballistics test for those interested
http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

Last edited:

whitetrash1

Established Member
and if there indeed is an intruder he will hear the round being chambered as I stated. :shrug:

and if he is closer than you originally thought there is a better chance to dis arm you and use you own weapon against you. if you were to come around a corner and said intruder is there it gives the upper hand to him as the weapon is not ready

Users who are viewing this thread