• Shotgun

Votes: 87 60.0%
  • Other, (please specify)

Votes: 11 7.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crew_dawg16

Established Member
What type of gun would you choose if you could only have one and why? Are handguns better, or would you rather use a shotgun? I need a gun for home defense soon and I'm torn because my wife will need to use it as well.

SinisterX

Makin ALL KINDS of gains
Established Member
Depends on you. Hand guns provide being able to hide them in the drawer and eaiser to control, Scatter guns lay the smack down quickly and w/ 00 Buck provide a wide area to hit.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
12 gauge in my room, .45 in my roommates room, and 2 pittbulls out in the backyard
GL to any robbers

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
I voted handgun because it is easier to move around with, but you can't beat the sound of a pump action 12 ga for getting someones attention. As for me, I use both. :rockon:

Make sure your wife practices with what ever you pick. When things are happening fast you don't want to try to remember how it works.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
Depends on you. Hand guns provide being able to hide them in the drawer and eaiser to control, Scatter guns lay the smack down quickly and w/ 00 Buck provide a wide area to hit.

This is a prime example of why you don't ask for firearms advice on a car forum:rollseyes

Buckshot=overpenetration. Most handguns = overpenetration. If you want something both you and your wife (the limiting factor) can & will use if necessary, look for at largest a 20ga but a 28ga or even a .410 would be a better bet. Load it with 8 or 9 shot which won't penetrate the wall with enough energy to kill your neighbor/significant other/daughter/etc.

crew_dawg16

Established Member
This is a prime example of why you don't ask for firearms advice on a car forum:rollseyes

Buckshot=overpenetration. Most handguns = overpenetration. If you want something both you and your wife (the limiting factor) can & will use if necessary, look for at largest a 20ga but a 28ga or even a .410 would be a better bet. Load it with 8 or 9 shot which won't penetrate the wall with enough energy to kill your neighbor/significant other/daughter/etc.

What gun would you suggest for a 20ga?

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
What gun would you suggest for a 20ga?

stick with a name brand and, imo, a pump action. They're cheap & simple to operate/maintain. remington 870 express' are pretty much world renowned for affordability & reliability. I have one in a youth model 20ga that never misses a beat. Your wife may like something along those lines because it is small. I also have a winchester model 1300 that's eaten thousands of rounds & I have no complaints about it. IIRC, mossberg makes dedicated home defense shotguns or you can retrofit the brand of your choosing with a shortened stock/barrel & extra magazine capacity. Whatever you choose for home defense, consider what's on the other side of the wall at which you discharge the firearm and whether your chosen cartridge will penetrate that wall with enough velocity to injure/damage someone/something you don't want injured or damaged. I had 4 buck in a 12 ga one time as a home defense round until it occured to me one day that, if someone was to break into my house, they would have to come through the living room and down a short hallway to get to my room. If I were to shoot down that hallway at someone, on the other side of the aforementioned living room wall was the garage....and my new-to-me 03 cobra...in point-blank range of 4buck. Poor decision making on my part there.

Last edited:

NXSVTCOBRA

nothing gets rid of an intruder more then the sound of a round being chambered into a 12ga shot gun. I have a mossberg persuader (500) loaded with 00 buck. That's what I'd grab first if I had an intruder.

timpryor

Turbo'd ST
Established Member
nothing gets rid of an intruder more then the sound of a round being chambered into a 12ga shot gun. I have a mossberg persuader (500) loaded with 00 buck. That's what I'd grab first if I had an intruder.
why havn't you chambered a round by the time the intruder is in the house? thats just stupid IMHO

.45 ACP(or .40 or 10mm or 9mm ect ect) with a quality Jacketed Hollow Point with a mounted light and/or nite sites is my HD weapon of choice.

but whatever you choose you need to TRAIN with it in the DARK since thats most likely the situation you will be in.

Last edited:

crew_dawg16

Established Member
stick with a name brand and, imo, a pump action. They're cheap & simple to operate/maintain. remington 870 express' are pretty much world renowned for affordability & reliability. I have one in a youth model 20ga that never misses a beat. Your wife may like something along those lines because it is small. I also have a winchester model 1300 that's eaten thousands of rounds & I have no complaints about it. IIRC, mossberg makes dedicated home defense shotguns or you can retrofit the brand of your choosing with a shortened stock/barrel & extra magazine capacity. Whatever you choose for home defense, consider what's on the other side of the wall at which you discharge the firearm and whether your chosen cartridge will penetrate that wall with enough velocity to injure/damage someone/something you don't want injured or damaged. I had 4 buck in a 12 ga one time as a home defense round until it occured to me one day that, if someone was to break into my house, they would have to come through the living room and down a short hallway to get to my room. If I were to shoot down that hallway at someone, on the other side of the aforementioned living room wall was the garage....and my new-to-me 03 cobra...in point-blank range of 4buck. Poor decision making on my part there.

Thanks for the advice :rockon:. That is the reason I was originally not going to get a handgun, do you think a 12ga would penetrate the wall with 9 shot? I do live in a town home and my neighbors have two small children that share a room on the other side of my bedroom wall.

crew_dawg16

Established Member

While I would love to see their reaction from the sound of the action, they'd have to live through the first shell to hear it.

NXSVTCOBRA

why havn't you chambered a round by the time the intruder is in the house? thats just stupid IMHO

.45 ACP(or .40 or 10mm or 9mm ect ect) with a quality Jacketed Hollow Point with a mounted light and/or nite sites is my HD weapon of choice.

but whatever you choose you need to TRAIN with it in the DARK since thats most likely the situation you will be in.

what IS stupid; for me to "have" a round chambered with a small child in my house.

Users who are viewing this thread