We need Ford/SVT to hear our voices... 2020 GT500 manual transmission petition/request/thread

DepWraith

Established Member
Sid just posted spy pics of the up and coming Vette. I wonder if the Cheby boys are going to cry after they find out it will only have one tranny option. Ohhh....it too will be a 7 speed DCT.

The C8 will be bad ass regardless of what tranny it will have. Can't wait to see the times compared to the GT350...

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The Hellcat Redeye only comes with an automatic trans.

I’m depressed now. Why dodge, why...

In all honesty, the expense of making a manual handle 800tq is probably very high per car

More cars are making 800hp/tq now but transwise, dct is more cost effective and reliable to handle it.

Cost go up as you factor taking a manual trans and drivetrain there in large scale. Chevy does offer the 7spd manual zr1. I wonder if that is the end of the road

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
A Miata is a sports car. So is an s2000.

A 2019 gt500 is hyper muscle.

The demon is hyper muscle.

I will say a Camaro zl1-1le being manual is pretty badass

decipha

Established Member
Say what yall want but I would never buy a sports car or performance vehicle that doesnt have a manual trans. Be it outdated old or stubborn mentality its how I view a sports car. Manual trans with no less than 8 cylinders.

As for going electric Im all for it! Ive tuned some stock ecus to control auto trans with electric motor swaps and if one was affordable Id be all over it.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Say what yall want but I would never buy a sports car or performance vehicle that doesnt have a manual trans. Be it outdated old or stubborn mentality its how I view a sports car. Manual trans with no less than 8 cylinders.

As for going electric Im all for it! Ive tuned some stock ecus to control auto trans with electric motor swaps and if one was affordable Id be all over it.
Meh, does your feelings get hurt when autos woop up on you?

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse

Im putting down just over 1400rwhp to the pavement on my 03 cobra. I hadnt had an auto yet "woop up on me".
My bad, I was suppose to be barking up that tree over there....carry on. ;)

You don't think a built auto would do better at the track than your current set-up?

Last edited:

decipha

Established Member
it would

an auto swap is in the works

keep in mind she has gone far beyond what i consider to be a fun or practical vehicle anymore and the only reason why its getting an auto is to make it an all out drag car now. If I were to daily drive her which isn't practical the t56 would stay. But at this point the car is rather useless as it just sits most of the time so something has to give.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
it would

an auto swap is in the works

keep in mind she has gone far beyond what i consider to be a fun or practical vehicle anymore and the only reason why its getting an auto is to make it an all out drag car now. If I were to daily drive her which isn't practical the t56 would stay. But at this point the car is rather useless as it just sits most of the time so something has to give.
That's where I was going with that...most high HP cars are autos. Yours must be a freak of nature with a manual at the HP.

LostM

Established Member
fuk that, a race car doesnt need an auto, i prefer manual

my race car is useless with a manual, im going auto

...see the problem there?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member

Basically confirms why the powerful Ford Mustang will have a DCT.
Same reasoning.
-J

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
A 3.63 1st would be useless as well. I’m pretty sure the 9007 is being used. Only thing unfortunate is that the closest to a 1.0 gear is a 1.1 or 5th

xblitzkriegx

Established Member

For drag racing the issue is consistency, not parts strength or ability. Launching a manual car at any power level is more difficult and then you have the gear changes.

Many moons ago, a manual for the street was the hot ticket cause autos were trash for anything except drag racing and even then, you needed a lot of converter. That's not the case anymore.

You still see lots of manuals or manual derivatives in road racing because reliability is more important and it's a hard ask for an auto to deal with full throttle upshifts and long term heat build up but it's still possible.

Regardless, rowing gears has more driver engagement and there's just something about checking for neutral before starting the engine or the nice mechanical sound first gear makes from a dead stop and an auto just can't do.

LostM

Established Member
For drag racing the issue is consistency, not parts strength or ability. Launching a manual car at any power level is more difficult and then you have the gear changes.

Many moons ago, a manual for the street was the hot ticket cause autos were trash for anything except drag racing and even then, you needed a lot of converter. That's not the case anymore.

You still see lots of manuals or manual derivatives in road racing because reliability is more important and it's a hard ask for an auto to deal with full throttle upshifts and long term heat build up but it's still possible.

Regardless, rowing gears has more driver engagement and there's just something about checking for neutral before starting the engine or the nice mechanical sound first gear makes from a dead stop and an auto just can't do.

So, in what racinf is consistency NOT an issue? In what racing is fastest possible/most acceleration possible NOT the goal?

DCTs in racing are doing great because besides the inherent mechanical advantages, it allows the driver to focus on the rest of their jobs.
I cant think of a single scenario in which a manual car vs dct, everything else equal, the manual would win.

Is there something fun about sticks, sure. Is it more of a nostalgic offering than a means to accomplish a set goal and therfore scratched off the plans,yes.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
So, in what racinf is consistency NOT an issue? In what racing is fastest possible/most acceleration possible NOT the goal?

DCTs in racing are doing great because besides the inherent mechanical advantages, it allows the driver to focus on the rest of their jobs.
I cant think of a single scenario in which a manual car vs dct, everything else equal, the manual would win.

Is there something fun about sticks, sure. Is it more of a nostalgic offering than a means to accomplish a set goal and therfore scratched off the plans,yes.

Bracket Racing Manual < Auto

xblitzkriegx

Established Member

Automatics inherently build up heat more than a manual due to their design. Advances in cooling is leveling the playfield though.

A DCT is not an automatic transmission, there is no torque converter. Technology has come a long way and it's probably possible to use an auto to endurance race with. If you have a colong problem with an auto though, you're done. Once the fluid gets even a little bit, the clutches let go, that's it.

Manuals are more tolerant to heat, are lighter, (sometimes) eat less power, and are cheaper to maintain. And at the end of it all, they're just more engaging to use.

A Prius and a GT 500 will make it to the grocery store but only one will put an smile on your face doing it.

LostM

Established Member
Automatics inherently build up heat more than a manual due to their design. Advances in cooling is leveling the playfield though.

A DCT is not an automatic transmission, there is no torque converter. Technology has come a long way and it's probably possible to use an auto to endurance race with. If you have a colong problem with an auto though, you're done. Once the fluid gets even a little bit, the clutches let go, that's it.

Manuals are more tolerant to heat, are lighter, (sometimes) eat less power, and are cheaper to maintain. And at the end of it all, they're just more engaging to use.

A Prius and a GT 500 will make it to the grocery store but only one will put an smile on your face doing it.

I dont even know what your arguing for/ against with that response.

DCT is the ultimate choice when performance is the goal

Users who are viewing this thread