We need Ford/SVT to hear our voices... 2020 GT500 manual transmission petition/request/thread

carguy19

Established Member
Hello and happy new year to all.

As most of you already know, the new GT500 has been announced and looks like a great car and will be the best/fastest mustang of all time. The major downside, is that it’s sadly being offered initially with no manual transmission.

Although the DCT is a wonderful gearbox and makes the car quicker and is more modern, my feeling is that a muscle car should have a 3rd pedal, and without it, I would not purchase the new car.

In a road and track article (which I will link below at the bottom of this post) Carl Widmann the chief engineer states and I quote:

"Right now, we're DCT-only, [but] we get feedback, and we're real tight with the Mustang crowd," Widmann said. I asked if that meant a manual was on the table. "We always listen to what our customers want, right?"

So let’s all take a minute to reply to this thread and let them know what we the enthusiasts want. I know that people with strong influence read this forum, but I will go the extra mile to print out this thread and send it into SVT/Ford Racing/Ford Product Design.

Please just write your name here on your post... first name, last initial, and how many fords/SVT’s you’ve owned in the past, and a sentence commenting “save the manuals” on this topic.

I will post mine as an example in response to this thread (see below)

Please don’t clutter this thread with commentary or opinions or how you don’t agree with me. I’m trying to keep it clean to send in to Ford for all of our benefit.

If anyone has a question, comment, or wants to assist me with this, or help me get it to the right people at Ford/SVT please pm me, or email me at [email protected]

Link to magazine article:
2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Could Get Manual - Why New GT500 Uses a Dual-Clutch

carguy19

Established Member
Carl A.

I’m from northern NJ. 07927.

I’ve owned 17 ford mustangs total in my lifetime. 6 of them were SVT models. 2 of them were GT500s. My most recent car was a 2014 GT500 which I bought new. I sold it recently to prepare for the new car coming out.

Please make this new 2020 GT500 with a manual transmission. Ford/SVT you’re going to lose a lot of loyal long time customers without giving people an option. I won’t consider the new car without a real manual transmission.

“Save the Manuals”

96gt02

Established Member
Anthony B
Have owned 10 mustangs in the past 9 years, 9 manuals, 1 auto (first one, didn't know how to drive stick) Currently my wife and I own all Ford vehicles (4 in total) GT500, Raptor, Focus ST, and Escape (in stick). We strongly prefer a manual transmission in everything we drive, The Raptor is just our emergency auto vehicle. I would never buy an auto performance car so please save the manuals

Kapy

Established Member
Kurt P

88 Cougar
01 Mustang GT
00 F150
13 GT500

Please save the manuals!

14 GT500
Established Member
I will not be buying a new GT500 without a manual. I know performance numbers mean a lot to some people, but there is the fun factor, which to me is priceless. No manual=no new GT500

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There are a good number of folks who would prefer a manual in a 2020 GT-500, for the reason @5.8 gave....the fun factor. Mustangs and manual transmissions go together like hot dogs and ball games....for the fun factor.

If Ford really is committed to listening to their customers, and if the voices are passionate and loud enough, they'll hopefully offer a manual for those who WANT a manual. As good as the DCT is, and it's a winner from what I can see, it's just not what every potential 2020 GT-500 owner wants.

14 GT500
Established Member
Ya but why would you want to cut up a new car by adding the third pedal and render it hard to resell down the line as it would be a Frankenstein car. Just think of what you would have to do to the console.

You comment is like buying a new car and then repainting it another color only worse as the color can be changed back. Hacking in a manual transmission would permanently wreck that vehicle. Who knows if the ECU for the engine would work without the DCT

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
Manual fan here. I’d still buy a used one years from now with the dct but manual offering would steer me to buy new in 2021/22.

The people who want the dct will likely buy slightly used and try to get the best deal. An enthusiast that wants the manual would be more emotionally committed and fine with paying new money.

Performance numbers are very impressive with the dct, but many of us have faster straight line cars and aren’t buying this car for that. We want a total all around excellent new shiny drivable car.

I want something very much like a Ford ZR1 with a manual. A carbon gt500 with a manual would be nervauna.

Also, the gt350r wing but I’d do that myself via catalogue or aftermarket. I’d keep the carbon wing for legitimate track days.

Kaneda

BANNED
Established Member
Real men drive Autos. Just saying. Look at me!

34409855_10160686504940105_3849484079648997376_o.jpg

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
If I had an opinion and vote, I would like to see the GT500 keep a traditional, manual option. I like to think that three pedals and a shifter are a part of the Shelby racing heritage.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

XtraTQ

Established Member
I’ve owned 7 Mustangs (all manuals) including an 04 Cobra, 08 GT500 and 11 GT500. I don’t see myself purchasing a new Shelby without it being a manual.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
All mine have been manual as well. From a 4 speed Top Loader with a Hurst Competition Plus shifter, a T5 with a Hurst shifter, a Tremec TR6060 with a FR shifter followed by an MGW shifter, a Tremec TR3160 with an MGW shifter, and a Tremec TR3550 with an MGW shifter. All were great for what they were. That said, I have no qualms whatsoever about moving on to a Tremec DCT. It'll be the first transmission in a Mustang I didn't have to add a shifter to in my lifetime.

Tank5879

Established Member
All mine have been manual as well. From a 4 speed Top Loader with a Hurst Competition Plus shifter, a T5 with a Hurst shifter, a Tremec TR6060 with a FR shifter followed by an MGW shifter, a Tremec TR3160 with an MGW shifter, and a Tremec TR3550 with an MGW shifter. All were great for what they were. That said, I have no qualms whatsoever about moving on to a Tremec DCT. It'll be the first transmission I didn't have to add a shifter to in my lifetime.
pretty much making money by not having to buy a shifter :)

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I've bought 5 mustangs, 4 new with 2 of those Shelby's. All manuals.

I'd buy manual in a heartbeat.

Make it happen Ford.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Colleton

Established Member
I've owned 6 Mustangs, all bought new from a dealership. 5 of the 6 were SVT/FP vehicles. While I prefer a manual transmission, I think the DCT is the right performance move for the new car. You just aren't going to be able to put this level of power to the ground with a manual.

Users who are viewing this thread