We need Ford/SVT to hear our voices... 2020 GT500 manual transmission petition/request/thread

blk02edge

Established Member
Some buyers will choose an older model or a GT350 with the same mindset, I completely agree. At this point however, Ford has no intention to offer a manual. The best hope is for a long production run if you want a manual. Because if this GT500 is only a 2 or 3 year run it is going to a tough sell internally.
What is your concrete evidence that ford has no intention to do so? Is @DBK still around? Id like to hear his pov. But TOB, you never understood my point, my point was never about how likely it is or how much economic sense it makes. In that realm, I agree with you, my point was VERY basic but im tired of trying to explain it. Carry on...

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I think a lot of buyers want a true slushbox 4spd auto like a 4r70w for nostalgia. Maybe a 5r55.

I’m sure we can all agree a nice aod-e or maybe even a 2spd powerglide is the really only way to do this car

Some people are acting like a dct is some kind of shitbox, it’s a good trans. 7 gears, plenty of strength, excellent feedback. It is a manual trans with two clutches and an automated engagement system as well as a “drive” calibration but it’s not going to be bitter smooth like an auto.

Go drive a dct car, it’s an automated double clutch manual. People thing a dsg is a dct. They go drive a vw Jetta and talk shit. Wrong gear box. Dsg is direct shift gearbox. Entirely different. Yes they both have multiple clutches, but one has modes and inputs, the other is load based.

Dsg is basically the daily driver/comfort watered down and softer dct. Very forgiving and easy to drive. Has creep mode at low speed etc.

Dct’s actually tend to drive what some would call shitty at soft driving situations. It’s basically a very aggressive barely streetable setup that requires hundreds of hours of fine tuning to map a decent drive calibration. Most of the expense when ordering a dct is from the drive calibration. The parts are maybe $1500-2500 more than say a tr6060. The tuning and calibrating can be upwards of $2.5-5 million bucks of staff, lab testing, coding, road testing etc etc.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
What is your concrete evidence that ford has no intention to do so?

To be clear, I stated that "At this point however, Ford has no intention to offer a manual." Widmann has commented on this very point on video but for "concrete evidence" I'd ask if you read the link I posted earlier and that I quoted. R&T stated clearly...

A Ford spokesperson clarified that a manual for the GT500 is not planned currently...
2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Could Get Manual - Why New GT500 Uses a Dual-Clutch

And as I stated previously...

Tob said:
The best hope is for a long production run if you want a manual. Because if this GT500 is only a 2 or 3 year run it is going to a tough sell internally.

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm still not sure you know what yer talkin' about. I'll wait for @DepWraith to weigh in.
And when he does, mic drop, threads over.

I’m glad Ford will see guys will want a manual.
I’m more glad they see we want the best performance available.
It’s not like they don’t offer a manual Shelby.
And if more buy them, instead of arguing online with no intention of buying, then the accountants may see the business case for offering 2 trans choices in a low volume halo car.
Just like the Hellcat A8 cars waxing the manual and the A8 numbers dwarfing the M6; if the DCT significantly outperforms an M6 test car, as I’m sure it has, I’d guess actual buyers would reach the same conclusion as Ford Performance. It’s not like they aren’t hardcore enthusiasts too.
-J

Snoopy49

Established Member
If I was going to waste a wish on Ford, I would wish to buy one for MSRP. From all my calling around, it truly would be a wasted wish.

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
If I was going to waste a wish on Ford, I would wish to buy one for MSRP. From all my calling around, it truly would be a wasted wish.

MSRP is definitely possible, but it does take a lot of patience and searching/calling.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I think ford will end up offering a manual gt500 in year 2-3 as a heritage package, and not available with the carbon fiber aero package. Here’s why.

1. Profits from the successful 2019/20 launch program can be put to the cost of development. No out of pocket expense.
2. Appease the purists, bolster public perception.
3. It’ll further profitability by rolling profit into another profit maker. Margin will yield higher margin, would be tax and liability will be shifted into product development and cost.
4. Ford won’t launch with the manual to minimize cost and to maximize leveraging long term cost.
5. A manual heritage car won’t get the scrutiny on track or at track days of a handling/aero/carbon top tier car. You won’t see bogus comparison tests of “we chose the manual and it was slower than the dct Ferrari we tested against”. The top package mustang has to be hellbent on winning races. There isn’t a manual Ford GT for the same reason. There is a manual focus rs and gt350/r. Ford isn’t anti manual, they just aren’t looking to lose at halo level. Testament to that, the gt350r at 526hp keeps up with the 650hp zl1 (non 1le). Ford wants the gt500 tp/hp/ap/full monte to wreck an auto zl1-1le or z06.

Porsche did similar when they brought the manual back into gt3 ranges.
-manual gt3
-manual 911 sport classic package
-the perfect look and package to satisfy purists and car fanatics. I’m a fan. Bigly.
98951370-949E-44B1-BB33-7E54D1CB62F3.jpeg

A 2021/2022 gt500KR manual only makes sense so it can be king of the road. As in street car.

A 2019/20 gt500 carbon wheel aero pack top tier car needs to set records and prop up the legacy.

The dodge demon ain’t got a stick yet and I doubt it ever will get one. The hellcat red eye is it’s equivalent 911 sport classic or the presumed gt500kr I’m dreaming about.

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
This would be ok. Although it sucks that Ford is taking over 8 years to take my money (2014-2022). I guess they are selling so many cars they don’t need my 80k!

blk02edge

Established Member
To be clear, I stated that "At this point however, Ford has no intention to offer a manual." Widmann has commented on this very point on video but for "concrete evidence" I'd ask if you read the link I posted earlier and that I quoted. R&T stated clearly...

2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Could Get Manual - Why New GT500 Uses a Dual-Clutch

And as I stated previously...
At this point... Hmmm so no concrete evidence that it wont happen, I never once said it should happen immediately, but.. At SOME point, if they do offer it, itll be due to people voicing their opinions on wanting a manual

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
"Concrete evidence" probably isn't the best way to phrase a question on something Ford may or may not decide to do in the future. I presented to you a linked article that indicates that Ford stated clearly that a manual transmission is not currently planned. And no mention of immediacy either. It doesn't get much clearer than that.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Sid just posted spy pics of the up and coming Vette. I wonder if the Cheby boys are going to cry after they find out it will only have one tranny option. Ohhh....it too will be a 7 speed DCT.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Last edited:

decipha

Established Member
This is the same crap Ferrari pulled with their paddle shifting autos dropping manual trans. Hopefully ford wisen's up.

Any true sports car has a 3rd pedal.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
This is the same crap Ferrari pulled with their paddle shifting autos dropping manual trans. Hopefully ford wisen's up.

Any true sports car has a 3rd pedal.
Nah, just closed minded thinking in that regard. What makes a sports car or hot rod or muscle car or pony car is much more than the trans choice.
Tech and modern performance will always advance, so if you can’t open your mind to new things, seeing taillights is in your future.
I’m all for saving the manuals, but Fords making the right choice, at least to start.
-J

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
At this point... Hmmm so no concrete evidence that it wont happen, I never once said it should happen immediately, but.. At SOME point, if they do offer it, itll be due to people voicing their opinions on wanting a manual
At some point...those that are actual buyers are all Ford really wants to hear from.
I’m a hardcore stick guy, but the #savethemanual guys that go after manufacturers for new models without one need to recognize the best way to make it happen is to vote with your wallet.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread