Want Smoother Shifts? Try This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

black 10th vert

Established Member
120 posts in this thread, 21 of them are people saying they are subscribing. anyone else done this yet?

I was thinking the same thing, myself! Well, at least I bought the Dorman washers already, just need to find the time to do the install.

Black Sex

Established Member
any results yet? I might have to go do it myself, hmmm... If I didnt have this damn diarrhea I would post back in about an hour

Last edited:

CSCOBRA03

Established Member
What did you find out?

I did check and all that the detent does is to keep the shift rails in place. So buy installing the washers as shims all that you do is decrease the spring tension on the shift rails. As long as you don't decrease the spring tension to much it should be fine. Just make sure it won't pop out off gear.
I will be looking forward to hearing how well this works on smoothing out the shifting.

sassafras

Established Member
Got out on the road last night, and it feels just slightly better. I still get the notchy feeling going from 1-2 and from 2-3 but it's a little less notchy. I can now pull it out of gear into neutral without pushing in the clutch much easier. In summary don't expect a miracle but it will help a little.

Transmission mods are a Spec 3+ clutch, Fiore Quad and FW adjuster, LDC freeplay mod, and a MGW shifter.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
Got out on the road last night, and it feels just slightly better. I still get the notchy feeling going from 1-2 and from 2-3 but it's a little less notchy. I can now pull it out of gear into neutral without pushing in the clutch much easier. In summary don't expect a miracle but it will help a little.

Transmission mods are a Spec 3+ clutch, Fiore Quad and FW adjuster, LDC freeplay mod, and a MGW shifter.

hmmm....this seems pretty consistant with what some of the other members that have done this mod said.

so all in all, considering what one must go through to install the mod....would you say its worth it?

sassafras

Established Member
hmmm....this seems pretty consistant with what some of the other members that have done this mod said.

so all in all, considering what one must go through to install the mod....would you say its worth it?

If you have the correct tools (the setup I mentioned earlier in the thread is what I used), once the car is up in the air, it is literally a 2 minute job. For this, I say it's worth it, if you have to drop your transmission it isn't.

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
My trans is out for a clutch swap. I just installed the 2 washers and i'll have it all back together tomorrow. I bought the washers at Advanced Auto... Same part number as the autozone PN.

Slow99x

Established Member
I just finished doing a Spec 3/Flywheel and this detent mod. The tranny shifts like butter compared to how it used to be. No popping out of gear at all and there is still a little tension but at times it can feel a little sloppy. All the gears go in very well and the shifter feels great (stock base with MGW "blue handle"). I went on my last Chicago cruise after the install and through any traffic and multiple red lights there were no problems at all. We used 2 crush washers and GM syncromesh and this is the best this trans has EVER felt.

ROADSTR6

Deficient SVT Poster
Established Member
I just finished doing a Spec 3/Flywheel and this detent mod. The tranny shifts like butter compared to how it used to be. No popping out of gear at all and there is still a little tension but at times it can feel a little sloppy. All the gears go in very well and the shifter feels great (stock base with MGW "blue handle"). I went on my last Chicago cruise after the install and through any traffic and multiple red lights there were no problems at all. We used 2 crush washers and GM syncromesh and this is the best this trans has EVER felt.

It's good to finally hear some positive results! I'm glad it worked out for you. :rockon:

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member

What do you mean when you say it feels a little sloppy? Could you elaborate a little more on this?

TRBO VNM

hmm would it change ur shift stops on the shifter??? a little bit...?

shift stops in a shifter on a T56? the T56 has built in stops, no need to have them on the shifter. if you want confirmation, search. it has been discussed many times and people have posted they confirmed it with tremec. the mgw instructions even say to remove them.

Scottyk

Established Member
Sounds like a good mod for someone whos afraid to rip the crap out of the shifter!! Shift that sucker like it owes you money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread