Want Smoother Shifts? Try This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbob8915

Established Member
The vent tube is right above one of the bolts. I could never get at it so I just pull/put back in all in one piece. I never have a problem that way. BTW, I can do all 3 starter bolts in under 5min. That top one dont bother me. I have a short extension and snapon swivel. I can put the car on jackstands and have the tranny out in 2hrs. BTW if I will be doing this mod soon before im back at the dyno :rockon: Just waiting to hear if it works good or not.

Had my tranny out three times already, takes about two hours or less on the floor. Thinking I could just remove exhaust, remove crossmember and tilt tranny to get to detent bolt.

TRBO VNM

The vent tube is right above one of the bolts. I could never get at it so I just pull/put back in all in one piece. I never have a problem that way. BTW, I can do all 3 starter bolts in under 5min. That top one dont bother me. I have a short extension and snapon swivel. I can put the car on jackstands and have the tranny out in 2hrs. BTW if I will be doing this mod soon before im back at the dyno :rockon: Just waiting to hear if it works good or not.

I know the vent tube is there and has the bracket attached, I just never had a problem. same here on the starter. everyone complains about it. I never have issues with it. I just use extension and a swivel socket and it is cake.

forget doing it on the ground. been there, done that. had a tranny out in 30min today from start to finish. gotta love lifts and tranny jacks.

I assume you don't have long tubes? pulling a tranny and bell housing as one, like required with the mach's or gt's, if they have long tubes and are lowered, forget it. pita.

2001blkR

Established Member
Got some results for you guys. It was a bitch to get that bolt back in with nothing removed. The tranny feels less stiff and a lil sloppy but nothing I can't get used to. My only concern was the 2-3 shift and downshifting to 3rd at ~60. It wasn't a night and day difference like I was expecting but it does help. Not as much of a "wall" goin to 3rd but it's still there. All in all it's an improvement and pretty cool for just installing 2 washers.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
very interested in hearing experiences

forcefedcobra

Established Member
interesting. I bet dropping the rear of the trans would make install of the shims easy as pie. I've been needing to get under my car to free air my wideband o2 sensor and tighten up all my exhaust stuff. I might just have to do this because my trans has been VERY notchy............was thinking it might be due to my mgw getting old. I'm eager to hear results from more people.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I am a Ford Master Tech and I will check into this tomorrow to see what this effects on the trans. My gut feeling is that it will be safe as long as the tension is not reduced to much and the trans pops out of gear.I will check my service manual tomorrow and post what I find out.

What did you find out?

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
Got some results for you guys. It was a bitch to get that bolt back in with nothing removed. The tranny feels less stiff and a lil sloppy but nothing I can't get used to. My only concern was the 2-3 shift and downshifting to 3rd at ~60. It wasn't a night and day difference like I was expecting but it does help. Not as much of a "wall" goin to 3rd but it's still there. All in all it's an improvement and pretty cool for just installing 2 washers.

ah-ha! so it DOES work. not quite as well as some of the other threads have made it seem....but still works none the less. awesome! thanks for your feedback!! whos next?

Black Sex

Established Member
I know the vent tube is there and has the bracket attached, I just never had a problem. same here on the starter. everyone complains about it. I never have issues with it. I just use extension and a swivel socket and it is cake.

forget doing it on the ground. been there, done that. had a tranny out in 30min today from start to finish. gotta love lifts and tranny jacks.

I assume you don't have long tubes? pulling a tranny and bell housing as one, like required with the mach's or gt's, if they have long tubes and are lowered, forget it. pita.

I got used to pulling the trans/bellhousing all in one from my 98cobra. LOL....I also learned how to balance a 5spd on floor jack.
No longtubes or a lift here....yet. I told the wife we will have one someday. I do however have a tranny jack. Almost a must since I always do all my work by myself. Im one of those fuys that always helps everyone else with their stuff but never have help with my stuff....weird. BTW the tranny jack works awsome for the IRS too. That is like an hour job now too.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Really interesting. I'd like to hear a one washer test from someone. Maybe I'll try to nail this down this week if I can get on the bolt.

sassafras

Established Member
Well a 3/8" ratchet, 12" extension, swivel joint, and a short 15/16" socket made this project take about 2 minutes since my car was already up in the air. I won't be able to get it down until this weekend, but I'll post results.

spincobra03

Established Member
Well a 3/8" ratchet, 12" extension, swivel joint, and a short 15/16" socket made this project take about 2 minutes since my car was already up in the air. I won't be able to get it down until this weekend, but I'll post results.

Nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread