Want Smoother Shifts? Try This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Well,

I finally got around to putting my car on the lift and right after changing my oil I decided to give in to the "anti-venom" mod.
It was so easy to do even a monkey could have done it.

After the instal of the washers my shifter was much smoother, especially since I had always complained on how notchy it had felt in the past.
The notchiness has disapeared by about 90% and it takes virtually no effort to shift on to the next gear now.
After taking my car for some highly spirited driving down in Mexico I found there were no issues or drawbacks with this mod.
The only negative, I guess, could be that its almost "too easy" to shift now.

I would say that all in all it was very worth it, I give it a 10/10. :beer:

black 10th vert

Established Member
Well,

I finally got around to putting my car on the lift and right after changing my oil I decided to give in to the "anti-venom" mod.
It was so easy to do even a monkey could have done it.

After the instal of the washers my shifter was much smoother, especially since I had always complained on how notchy it had felt in the past.
The notchiness has disapeared by about 90% and it takes virtually no effort to shift on to the next gear now.
After taking my car for some highly spirited driving down in Mexico I found there were no issues or drawbacks with this mod.
The only negative, I guess, could be that its almost "too easy" to shift now.

I would say that all in all it was very worth it, I give it a 10/10. :beer:

Excellent, thanks for keeping this thread updated!:beer: So, based on what you say about it being almost too easy now, would you recommend maybe using 1 washer, instead of both? With 1, it might loosen it up a bit, but not make it too lose.

mustangtw

Established Member
hmm, I got my tranny out right now for a clutch swap. I think I'm going to go ahead and do this mod as well. My trans has always felt notchy to me, so maybe this is the fix. I'm going to advance tomorrow to get the washers. I'll post up some feedback when I get everything back together.

nooner

Established Member
Excellent, thanks for keeping this thread updated!:beer: So, based on what you say about it being almost too easy now, would you recommend maybe using 1 washer, instead of both? With 1, it might loosen it up a bit, but not make it too lose.
TOB just went out so it looks like my tranny is coming out soon for a new clutch and TOB. So, one washer or two?

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member

I was actually thinking of that, just using one washer.
It really is a toss up. Im sure one washer would still help make it a little smoother but would still keep the shifter a little stiffer.
I might give it a try in the future since it was so easy to do. But for now Ill enjoy my new "air shifter".

black 10th vert

Established Member
TOB just went out so it looks like my tranny is coming out soon for a new clutch and TOB. So, one washer or two?

Well, that's what I wanted to know. Most of the posters seem to be using 2 of them, since they come in packs of 2. What I'm wondering is if using 1 would provide a noticeable improvement, without making it too sloppy.:shrug:

venom one

Schoolin' your kids
Established Member
This sounds like something I really wanna try. My shifter is very notchy and would love to see the difference after doing this mod.

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
UPDATE: Just finished up my transmission work and I did this mod as well... I feel a slight difference. 3rd gear still seems a bit notchy but all-in-all, i can feel a positive difference. I have not got on it hard to see what it shifts like because I also installed a new clutch and am breaking it in. For a $2 mod, I say go for it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I just finished doing a Spec 3/Flywheel and this detent mod. The tranny shifts like butter compared to how it used to be. No popping out of gear at all and there is still a little tension but at times it can feel a little sloppy. All the gears go in very well and the shifter feels great (stock base with MGW "blue handle"). I went on my last Chicago cruise after the install and through any traffic and multiple red lights there were no problems at all. We used 2 crush washers and GM syncromesh and this is the best this trans has EVER felt.

So the occasional sloppiness came after the mod? :dw:

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
So has anyone taken 2 minutes to put 2 washers on, test, 2 more minutes 1 washer on, test and have info for us?

venom one

Schoolin' your kids
Established Member
Can someone take pics of the bolt/ area of a Terminator transmission while the tranny is still mounted? Perhaps some pics while the mod is being done.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Zyborg, was it necessary to remove the trans?

Well Im not sure about a cobra but my Z was on a lift and didnt have to do anything other than unscrew the bolt. I have read in some of the earlier pages that some terminator guys got to it with out taking out the trans, just have to use a little more specialized tools.

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
The Tools

I tried 24mm and 15/16" 1/2 drive sockets with 2 different types of swivels and couldn't get the bolt out. I moved to a 3/8 drive 15/16 (a little shorter) plus a impact swivel and a wobble extension and was able to get mine out with tranny in car and exhaust in car (no cats).

Here's how you do the anti-venom mod in ten easy steps w/ tranny in car.

1. Get washers at advance <$2.00
2. Drive car on ramps
3. Raise rear high up and put on stands
4. Locate bolt in picture (blue paint on mine)
5. Get the correct sockets/swivel/wobble
6. Remove bolt
7. Add washers
8. Reinstall bolt
9. Lower car
10. Drive like a madman :rolling:

detent-1.jpg

detent-2.jpg

detent-3.jpg

BTW my car is an '01 w/ viper spec t56 from RPM transmissions

Last edited:

Slow99x

Established Member
Sorry it took me so long to reply to the questions about the sloppyness:
What I felt was a diffence that felt like slop to me because of how tight and notchy my shifter was for the 2 year I had owned the car. When the shifter became so easy after all this time, it felt like a little slop to me. Now that I have had time to get used to the feel, it doesn't feel sloppy at all. As another member said, I have a stock shifter base with an MGW handle. A full on short shifter might fell great after this mod.

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
I'd say its just less effort to shift not "sloppy". When in gear the handle doesn't move around or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread