Want Smoother Shifts? Try This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

key

Established Member
Is it impossible to get to this bolt going in from the top down through the hole the shifter comes through?

2001blkR

Established Member
Got it out with a 3/8" ratchet, 10" and 6" extension, universal joint, and short 15/16 socket.

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
My trans is out for a clutch so i'll do this mod and report back. Sounds like an EPIC WIN for all of us!!!!

Jefe

Established Member
Is it impossible to get to this bolt going in from the top down through the hole the shifter comes through?
If its in the same exact position as the pic above then looks like you could. Might just need a spotter under the car

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
Anyone else with comments about this mod? I get my tranny back in about 2 weeks and I'll be doing this mod before it goes back in.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Seems like a few people got the bolt out..... throw on some washers and get it back in! I'd like to hear some reviews on this.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Never heard of this either.

I wonder what would happen if you only used 1 washer instead of 2????

Maybe be a happy medium between no tension and some tension. :shrug:

03slobra2

POSI "race"port FTW
Established Member
Getting excited, my car will be done tonight and will have the mod done as well... then off to the rollers tomorrow!!!

TRBO VNM

Is that a Ford T56? I see you modded the vent tube. I've been thinking of doing that so I can pull the trans off of the bell housing while its in the car. I just always pulled the whole thing.

huh? I never pull the tranny and bell housing out together. always pull the tranny first and then the bell housing. if you think that 1 bolt is a pain, I hate to see what you think about the top starter bolt.

extensions and 15mm socket and that bolt comes out without issue. putting a jack under the crank pulley may help you a little, which will tilt the rear of the motor down some, but don't do too much.

OP, thanks for the info. looking forward to some results from others

Black Sex

Established Member
huh? I never pull the tranny and bell housing out together. always pull the tranny first and then the bell housing. if you think that 1 bolt is a pain, I hate to see what you think about the top starter bolt.

extensions and 15mm socket and that bolt comes out without issue. putting a jack under the crank pulley may help you a little, which will tilt the rear of the motor down some, but don't do too much.

OP, thanks for the info. looking forward to some results from others

The vent tube is right above one of the bolts. I could never get at it so I just pull/put back in all in one piece. I never have a problem that way. BTW, I can do all 3 starter bolts in under 5min. That top one dont bother me. I have a short extension and snapon swivel. I can put the car on jackstands and have the tranny out in 2hrs. BTW if I will be doing this mod soon before im back at the dyno :rockon: Just waiting to hear if it works good or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread