Want Smoother Shifts? Try This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Ok, what washers do I need for this mod? Thanks

Are you serious man? It's listed about 50 times in this thread with pics, part numbers, different brands etc. In fact just go to the first page and the very first post details all the specs for you.

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
Tim,

I'll add to your "proper" list... RP or synchromesh fluid. However, many of us have done all of those things and the results have been less than stellar for some. It may not be a silver bullet but I believe this little $3 widget does have it's place in the world of improving the shifting of the T56. I've done everything on your list as well as the washer mod. For me the washer mod made the biggest difference of all. What about this mod is not "proper"...the fact that it only costs $3 as opposed to hundreds of dollars? An improvement is an improvement in my book. Doesn't matter what it costs.
On the other hand I've done all those things also, and none of them made much difference. So when I had the trans out to replace the TOB, I put in 2 washers, with high hopes. But it didn't make any difference at all. Still very notchy. But I do agree, for 3 bucks you should at least try it and maybe you'll get results better than I did. "Notchiness" is kind of like those threads in the Exhaust section that ask "which catback sounds the best? It's very subjective.

svt4me38

BOWENZMOTORSPORTS.COM
Established Member
Through 2 in with my mgw shifter yesterday.... shifts like cutting through melted butter!

tedster429

Established Member
Damn...I failed. Tried with trans in and could not get to it. Tried doing it like someone in here did, 12" ext and univeral and the tunnel is just to tight. maybe because my drivetrain is in a 01 gt.

svt4me38

BOWENZMOTORSPORTS.COM
Established Member
I used a 12in and 6in with swivel extension with short 15/16 socket, all 3/8 drive. No problems!

Tims97SVT

Established Member
Tim,

I'll add to your "proper" list... RP or synchromesh fluid. However, many of us have done all of those things and the results have been less than stellar for some. It may not be a silver bullet but I believe this little $3 widget does have it's place in the world of improving the shifting of the T56. I've done everything on your list as well as the washer mod. For me the washer mod made the biggest difference of all. What about this mod is not "proper"...the fact that it only costs $3 as opposed to hundreds of dollars? An improvement is an improvement in my book. Doesn't matter what it costs.

If you've done all these things and it still shifts poorly then something in your set up does not work together well. What type of trans fluid you use is up to you. Your not going to see some amazing difference using this or that type. If you do see some major difference it's because the fluid needed changed or did not have the correct amount in it. I use super tech trans fluid and all of my t-56's shifted wonderfully. 95% of of poor shifting is due to improper adjustment of the clutch.

601Mystic04

Svt addiction
Established Member
Is this the said bolt because I tried to take it out and it would back out easy then just stop. I don't wanna round the bolt off trying to get it out. May wait til I do a clutch swap.

d526b92a.jpg

601Mystic04

Svt addiction
Established Member
Question does it become tight and loosen after a certain point?

601Mystic04

Svt addiction
Established Member
I just got this mod done got the bolt out it took a few tries of screwing in and out but it's definately a awesome 2 dollar mod! Napa has these washers in stock.

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Ok, did this today. I used the 2 washers listed in this thread. First, you don't have to lower the trans. A 3/8" drive 15/16" socket, a good tight swivel and a few extensions will get you where you need to be. Now, I did this on a friends rack with ample light, and getting the bolt out was easier than getting it back in. My impressions, the car does shift much easier and smoother. One thing that I really noticed is, how little effort is needed to get out of the gear you're in, to the next one. I give this a 9/10 due to the cost, and reward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread