Want Smoother Shifts? Try This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
Ok, did this today. I used the 2 washers listed in this thread. First, you don't have to lower the trans. A 3/8" drive 15/16" socket, a good tight swivel and a few extensions will get you where you need to be. Now, I did this on a friends rack with ample light, and getting the bolt out was easier than getting it back in. My impressions, the car does shift much easier and smoother. One thing that I really noticed is, how little effort is needed to get out of the gear you're in, to the next one. I give this a 9/10 due to the cost, and reward.

its about time that you joined the club!! =]~

just messing with ya!

i agree this is a great mod, especially for the cost. it made quite a bit of difference for me. i did this mod about a year ago (im guessing), and have had no issues or ill effects from it what-so-ever! no slipping out of gear or anything like that. i would definitely recommend it as well...ESPECIALLY if you are going to be doing a clutch swap/have the tranny pulled anyway!

:rockon:

bfletch76

Established Member
I'm doing a clutch swap this week and will def be adding this to the list of to do's..

SonicBlur2003

U.S.C.G.
Established Member
Have to love the simple chages to these cars that can make them even more amazing. thanks for thie info guys. I will try to do this ASAP as well

31BCobra

#60 04' Cobra - Torch Red
Established Member
Okay so I finally got around to doing this mod. It is doable without dropping the tranny, not only is it doable I did it with all 1/2 drive extensions, swivel and socket. Used a 15/16 socket with a swivel, and then a 6in and a 4in extension.
Took me about 40 min, and most of that was trying to get the detent bolt with the washers back into the hole. I used the NAPA part # that was given at the start of this thread.

All the shifts are like butter now, and most noticeably it takes hardly any effort to get it out of gear and into neutral. Can't wait to try out some power shifts, I think this may be the solution to the car locking you out of gear at high RPM will update after cruising later tonight.

So far I give this mod a 9/10 - Its cheap, and it delivers. :rockon:

cobra187

"If you ain't first, you're last" -Ricky Bobby
Established Member
Guys I did this mod a while back to my T56. It has around 14,000 miles on it now. I've put about 150 miles on it since the mod, and have had 0 issues. The transmission shifts so much smoother, but I still have to fight 3rd just a little. I also played around with my clutch quadrant. I had to take the 4 crossmember bolts out and tilt the engine to get to it. I also used a swivel and a 1/2" ratchet. I had the car up to 150+ on the German autobahn and had no issues with the car popping out of gear. Powershifts are a breeze now. Have fun and good luck.

20redfire03

Established Member
It may have/may not have been listed but is there a part for advance auto?

snakeraper11b

Established Member
The Dorman number is 65277. Youre looking for 2, 13/16 m20 washers basically. Should be a stack around 1/10" thick.

Cobra03SC

Established Member
Just to update alittle, its not hard to do at all, and can be done in about 20 mins. I would recomend unbolting the 4 trans mount bolts, and the 2 motor mount bolts and jacking the very font of the motor up slightly, this will tilt the trans down far enough that you can fit just about any tool you want in there. I did this method without removing the x pipe aswell, but if you want you could remove the x pipe for more room.

Ralo

Established Member
It's been a couple years since I've done this but all I did was drive my car up on ramps then use a deep well socket, universal joint, extension and ratchet.

sam92lx

SVTP Style Consultant.
Established Member
Mines getting done this weekend after a clutch swap.

RussZTT

Established Member
I did this few months ago using 2 washers. Hated it so I took them both out. I cold not slam 4th for the life of me.

americanthunder

nuts and bolts
Established Member
did mine also, along with the other mod how to adjust your factory clutch cable, car shifts perfect now, so stoked these cheap mods made a huge diference in the overall feel of the car, before, every, i mean every shift was painfull,and plenty of missed shifts... now i never give it a second thought, and never missed a shift since. sweet mod.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Glad to see that this thread is still alive and well, and helping people out with their shifting issues.

MICLO50

got Liquid corn?
Established Member
just bought my 2 washers the other day. cant wait to feel the difference!

matt87

Established Member
will this mod help getting the car into reverse? mines a pita!

matt87

Established Member
not since last year and its already a 4 years old. maybe time for a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread