Want Smoother Shifts? Try This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
not since last year and its already a 4 years old. maybe time for a new one.

Maybe but I would really try adjusting it properly first. Are you using a aftermarket firewall adjuster/quadrant?

MysticRob

Established Member
My stock shifter is difficult to shift and very notchy so figured I'd buy the 2 washers and see how it goes when I change all the fluids tomorrow. Unfortunately none of the local stores like Oreillys, Pepboys, or Napa have them in stock, so...

I got onto Dorman's website and input the 65277 part # to see what the OEMs call it:
Dorman Products - Search Results

Turns out the Honda dealership right down the street had a ton of the OE#: 94109-20000 washers, which is the aluminum version, so I picked up 2 for less than $3 total.

Apparently the OE#: 90413-568-690 brass version no longer exists anywhere nationwide in their system, and the Dorman 65277 is on back-order everywhere I called with days' long waiting times. Figure the aluminum version will work well, and shouldn't compress as much as the brass, which as hard as my shifter is to move, is probably a good thing. I'll post back results after I get this done, hopefully before Saturday night.

Last edited:

jrichber

browser
Established Member
Well did this the other day. And must say cant really notice much of a differnce. Can still hit every gear fine. Maybe 4th gear is a little easier during regular driving. But nothing crazy. Ohh well got them at napa for $2.50 was worth a shot.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I popped in 2 of the Dorman washers. Felt ok at first, now since installing a new rubber inner shift boot it will 'pop' out of 3rd gear with the slight tension of the new boot. Annoying to say the least.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I popped in 2 of the Dorman washers. Felt ok at first, now since installing a new rubber inner shift boot it will 'pop' out of 3rd gear with the slight tension of the new boot. Annoying to say the least.

What shifter are you using? I've fixed guys shifters that had stops on them. They basically had the stop adjusted incorrectly and it couldn't sit all the way in 3rd like it should.
Another guys car I repaired had worn synco's and it simply wouldn't hold in gear. Hopefully that's not your case.

Also your new boot. It's not pinching or something causing excessive pressure on the shifter when in 3rd is it?

My personal car I run two washers and have zero issues.

kr3w239

Established Member
Just did this along with replacing fluid with Amsoil ATF.
It did not help with high RPM shifting but I used to have problems putting in reverse and now there is absolutely no problem anymore.

Well worth it's money. But looks like I'll still havee to do quad/firewall adj.

08mojo

Established Member
I did the mod over year ago. No adverse effects to date. The transmission is still notchy as hell and much harder to shift than our other MT-82 car...

I am running a steeda tri-ax. I would not do the mod again...I especially would not drop the transmission just to do the mod.

gabe1530

Banned
I did this mod a little over a year ago and noticed a small difference. I took my mid pipe off to make the install easier. If you have the free time, this mod is easy but I wouldn't say it's something you have to do.

MICLO50

got Liquid corn?
Established Member
I did this 'mod' when I had the trans out. Can't tell a difference at all :nonono:

jrichber

browser
Established Member
Did this about 6 months ago noticed maybe a small different. Didnt drop the tranny and wasnt a problem 2" extension swivel and 6" extension.

stangman1

Established Member
Just a little FYI for the guys on here. I recently bought a modded 03 cobra from Ontario Canada. I am in the process of changing my Spec 2 clutch for a McCleod RXT. I was going to do this mod to my tranny while it was out. So I get the washers & begin to remove the nut on the tranny & notice that this mod is already done. No big deal right??? Well the only place that has turned a bolt on this Cobra is Steedain Milton Canada. So evidently they are doing this mod to these cars. I really didn't know of the notchiness in the shifting like you guys have been mentioning. My car shifts like butter & now I know why. Just thought I would share this info..

MysticRob

Established Member
My stock shifter is difficult to shift and very notchy so figured I'd buy the 2 washers and see how it goes when I change all the fluids tomorrow. Unfortunately none of the local stores like Oreillys, Pepboys, or Napa have them in stock, so...

I got onto Dorman's website and input the 65277 part # to see what the OEMs call it:
Dorman Products - Search Results

Turns out the Honda dealership right down the street had a ton of the OE#: 94109-20000 washers, which is the aluminum version, so I picked up 2 for less than $3 total.

Apparently the OE#: 90413-568-690 brass version no longer exists anywhere nationwide in their system, and the Dorman 65277 is on back-order everywhere I called with days' long waiting times. Figure the aluminum version will work well, and shouldn't compress as much as the brass, which as hard as my shifter is to move, is probably a good thing. I'll post back results after I get this done, hopefully before Saturday night.

Okay, so I finally got around to doing this mod yesterday and was very impressed with the results! :beer:

Before the mod every gear was notchy and hard to shift into, and reverse was especially difficult to get into. I couldn't get a good enough angle on it with the cat and subframe connectors in the way, so I disconnected the h-pipe and let it hang, removed the 4 crossmember bolts while supporting the tranny with my jack, then lowered the tranny about 3 inches.

Gotta say, reverse is way easier (still a bit difficult to get into but much better) and every gear is now just butter. This is how the tranny should've shifted from the factory!

After getting the tranny bolted back up, I raised the h-pipe up a bit and bolted it back together so it didn't hang as low, which now allows me to clear my steep driveway without scraping anything.

b_dike

Established Member
Want smoother shifts? Try this N2MB WOT box!!! Of coarse this only works at wot, but it sure works. I thought I'd have to use washers on the detent bolt as well cause I was getting locked out of 3rd and 4th when shifting at or near redline. Now with this wot box shifts are super smooth. Definitely one of the best mods I've done so far.

ajt9229

Established Member
Just orderd mine on Ebay. Im out of town this week and didnt want to have to search for it. So for $3.84 it was worth ordering it and having it waiting for me when I get home. Pluse what you'd spend in gas money it probably equals out!!! LOL.

Dorman 65277 Oil Drain Plug Gasket | eBay

nextime

Termi? Read Signature
Established Member
You can get the gasket locally. Just order it and they will call you when it gets in and no shipping charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread