Used mustang prices...

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
What was bad about them? Serious question as i dont know. I thought 94/95 were the ones to avoid? Is 99-04 that much better?

I drove a couple 98 GTs and they seemed ok to me. they sure looked good.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

The 96-98 had anemic torque and the ho felt nonexistent as well.
Trust me, I love the 96-98 body style, but the GTs were meh at best.
Some gearing is definitely a big help.
Honestly I use the term "turd" because it reminds me of the old MustangWorld days.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Honestly I use the term "turd" because it reminds me of the old MustangWorld days.

ya, Ive made the mistake of checking in over there every once in a blue moon.

The 96-98 can be a great looking car but I think it'd have to be a 4 valve for me to consider it

robvas

Established Member
You're going to replace the motor with a built one on a 96-02 no matter what.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
560C9497-537F-46B9-9926-BC00D23FEE6D.jpeg

At the gym yesterday.

Still love these too

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
94-95 still used the 5.0.
96-98 GT went to 4.6 2v rated at 215-225hp.
99-04 GT was also 4.6 2v, but with PI (performance improved) heads, cams, and intake. I thought they had a different compression ratio too thanks to different pistons.

Even though the 94-95 GT didn't really make any more power than the 96-98, they had the more desirable 5.0 which seems to have saved them from falling into the same "turd" category as far as I can tell.

You got a nice bump in compression swapping the PIs onto a 96-98 2v block.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
The 94/95 i was told were the red headed stepchild and didnt have as many parts available for them.

Yeah id take cobra version on any of them anyways lol

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Even the DOHC felt anemic till gears and full boltons… I had an 01 covra before my 03 cobra.. now have a 98 cobra, project car that I am sorting.

Last edited:

Dano91

Established Member
In January I purchased a s197 gt500. The dealer I bought it from delivered it from down south. As he was getting ready to leave he saw I had a 01 Cobra under in my garage under a cover and quickly showed interest.

This was a very nice looking car with standard rock chips on the front fascia and hood and a few small rust bubbles but overall a very nice looking car. I really loved this car, driving it and the way it sat.

Under the car was another story. After buying the car several years ago I came to find out the front frame rails and strut towers were rotted among other soft spots. Looking back, I sort of don’t know how the front of the car was not collapsing on itself. I always figured I’ll drive it and enjoy it and take the beating when it’s time to sell it.

With the gt500 coming I knew I had to get rid of it and put it on Facebook. I priced it relatively low with details on what it was. I got many hits. I really didn’t want to sell it to some kid that didn’t understand what it was. Fortunately I didn’t have to.

The dealer saw it and wanted it. He barely looked it over. Of course he low balled but I felt like a hero getting him up to the price I paid for it back in 2018.

He left and two days later, out of curiosity, I figured I’d look and see if it was up on his website. It was. He wanted $17.5k for it. I laughed and thought it would never sell at that. It was gone off the site two days later.:(

Last edited:

Tezz500

Established Member
The 94/95 i was told were the red headed stepchild and didnt have as many parts available for them.

Yeah id take cobra version on any of them anyways lol

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Nah. The 94-95 was the same guts as the 93 and earlier.

Same body as the 96-98.

Nothing you couldn’t get. In fact, there is WAY more parts available for the 94-95 5.0s than the 4.6L 2v still to this day I would suspect.

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
In 1999 I was able to buy myself a 1970 Camaro that was in pretty good shape. I also was able to mod it, all on a high school budget, paid $5,500 for it. I couldn’t even think about the possibility of buying one in today’s market. Even rust buckets are going for high dollars. The car flippers/investors in my opinion killed the car scene for the future generation of upcoming gear heads.
View attachment 1759298
Mint :) love the 70 maro

Detroit Iron

Established Member
Premium Member
I always wondered why Ford made the 96-98 4.6L 2V so anemic. They knew what the competition had back in 93 with the fourth gen F body with LT1 power. The 4.6L 4V cars were nice, but the drop off in performce to the 2V was HUGE. The bang for the buck that the fox body dominated in was completely reversed. Being a mustang fan back in those days was tough. In the long run, Ford won the war by selling a ton of these cars. The Camaro will be gone for good after 2023, GM will likely rebadge it to some EV SUV.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Even the DOHC felt anemic till gears and full boltons… I had an 01 covra before my 03 cobra.. now have a 98 cobra, project car that I am sorting.
I bought an 01 new that I still have. While slow compared to today's stuff I went 13.3 @ 105 stock back in the summer of 02. Was pretty decent at the time and enough to hold off auto ls1s.

Has an Eaton now so it's a lot more fun.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I bought an 01 new that I still have. While slow compared to today's stuff I went 13.3 @ 105 stock back in the summer of 02. Was pretty decent at the time and enough to hold off auto ls1s.

Has an Eaton now so it's a lot more fun.
I went from an LS1 99 6spd formula with full bolt ons to an 01 cobra that I bought new… I was honestly a bit let down, but quickly remedied that with longtubes, bassani exhaust, 4.10s, anderson ford CAI and tune by Dom Orlando. This made a night and day difference…car put down near bolt-on LS1 numbers and I had no problem beating mildly modded fboats at the time… Now the 03 was a ****ing game changer, traded my 01 in with quickness!

Tezz500

Established Member
I always wondered why Ford made the 96-98 4.6L 2V so anemic. They knew what the competition had back in 93 with the fourth gen F body with LT1 power. The 4.6L 4V cars were nice, but the drop off in performce to the 2V was HUGE. The bang for the buck that the fox body dominated in was completely reversed. Being a mustang fan back in those days was tough. In the long run, Ford won the war by selling a ton of these cars. The Camaro will be gone for good after 2023, GM will likely rebadge it to some EV SUV.

I thought the same thing when it first came out. I really don’t know the answer to it. All I can really think of now is that Ford was embracing the OHC Modular engine line and in the long run, with the Coyote and Predator, I can admit that it was a payoff.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member

Long watch... TLDR.. the repos have begun, banks DO NOT want to write down losses, they have auction minimum bids too high and keep pushing for "no sale" until they find a buyer.

This won't affect new cars... New cars even at higher prices will crush used cars.

Cars are being repo'd with temp tags from 2020 now.....etc.

Not to be a scumbag, but that a good thing for me to add another toy.

robvas

Established Member
My 02 Z28 must have been a freak, 13.0@108 A4/2.73's!

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member

Long watch... TLDR.. the repos have begun, banks DO NOT want to write down losses, they have auction minimum bids too high and keep pushing for "no sale" until they find a buyer.

This won't affect new cars... New cars even at higher prices will crush used cars.

Cars are being repo'd with temp tags from 2020 now.....etc.

Wait, which guy is the host of that show? The guy on the right or the guy on the left?

Users who are viewing this thread