Upcoming timeframe on the next GT500 and speculation

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I heard from a pretty respected member on one of those other Mustang forums that the Mach 1 will be before the new GT500.
Is this true,.....I don't know?
You should see how many people want a V6 and awd Shelby GT500 on that forum. I shake my head reading those posts. That's not for me. I want a big brute V8, gobs of power/torque and rwd. Call me old school, I guess. :D

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Yes the warranty matters to a lot of people, and that's is why the majority of GT500s do not get modded. It's only the majority of people who post on this website that mod their cars. No matter the cost or warranty situation, building your own high powered car is always a poor substitute for buying a real deal factory built GT500.

David
Not for people that want to go faster.

Juic3d spent about $20k and his white 5.0 was running 8's. Its always better to buy the cheaper car and build from the ground up if you are racing.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Depends on the type of racing you're doing....it would take a hell of a car to run with the GT350R for that money. And then you just have a suped up GT that's harder t sell and won't maintain it's resale value.....it's this for that.

Juic3d spent about $20k and his white 5.0 was running 8's. Its always better to buy the cheaper car and build from the ground up if you are racing.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member

If you're racing you don't care about money longevity or dependability. Individual buyers who throw a blower on would never be able to pass Fords reliability testing.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Assuming you are talking about the ET, a friend of mine who works for GM. Said the car is within a tenth in the 1/4 mile of the 2015 Z06 that shares the same motor with an 8 speed automatic. Also said it runs 11.2s on the street tires. Here is a video of the Z06 on drag radials.

https://youtu.be/ijdRyRiygoE

David

This seems perfectly logical. Half a second faster than the 2013-2014 GT500 at similar or slightly higher mph. 13-14 GT500s and Hellcats are about to lose some luster (value). Ford needs to shoot for 10s on street tires.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
This seems perfectly logical. Half a second faster than the 2013-2014 GT500 at similar or slightly higher mph. 13-14 GT500s and Hellcats are about to lose some luster (value). Ford needs to shoot for 10s on street tires.

Smacking head on wall...ten on street tires. Let's begin:
11.2 on street tires and only a tenth behind the z06? What about the z06 running 10.5 on the oem cup 2...
To me it seems as they are comparing gm times to the best negative altitude runs online.
With these 10.4/10.5 stock z06 runs everyone said that it would easily pick up a half second on DR.
Yet real world negative density testing only took it to a 10.2 the exact same times the zr1 put up with stick shift.

Now they say the new zl1 will run 10.6 oem, or 10.3/10.4 on DR? While having the same power but with 400lbs more weight and balance issues(f/r) much greater than the corvette.

Now to the problem of 10s on street tires.
You can add power. But that won't help if it's a street tire. 1000hp will just spin the tires.
You can add sticky tires. Not dependable/safe on real roads nor do they last and are expensive to replace.
You can take weight off. Not going to happen with people wanting luxury comfort and federal safety regulation.
Transfer the weight. Not going to happen in its present form or any front engine inexpensive base car.

What does that leave? 700-750hp mustang weighing in at 3900/4000lbs with the cup2 tire not safe in the wet at those power numbers that will run exactly where the HC/new zl1 run. Mid to high tens on ET or DR.

The only thing I can see to helping with lower times is computer controlled power output. 500hp on takeoff and shifts with the 700hp available when tires have traction.

David Neibert

Established Member

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
It's just a stripped down Mustang GT with a Roush supercharger kit installed and a voided Factory warranty....No thanks. Better off doing that with this 670 HP version kit and buying the 3 year warranty from Roush.

http://www.roushperformance.com/parts/2015-mustang-supercharger.html

David

Have you ever tried to collect on the roush warranty? I know of two stories one was denied and then he filed a lawsuit the other was denied until a friend contacted Jack directly. No thanks.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Smacking head on wall...ten on street tires. Let's begin:
11.2 on street tires and only a tenth behind the z06? What about the z06 running 10.5 on the oem cup 2...
To me it seems as they are comparing gm times to the best negative altitude runs online.
With these 10.4/10.5 stock z06 runs everyone said that it would easily pick up a half second on DR.
Yet real world negative density testing only took it to a 10.2 the exact same times the zr1 put up with stick shift.

Now they say the new zl1 will run 10.6 oem, or 10.3/10.4 on DR? While having the same power but with 400lbs more weight and balance issues(f/r) much greater than the corvette.

Now to the problem of 10s on street tires.
You can add power. But that won't help if it's a street tire. 1000hp will just spin the tires.
You can add sticky tires. Not dependable/safe on real roads nor do they last and are expensive to replace.
You can take weight off. Not going to happen with people wanting luxury comfort and federal safety regulation.
Transfer the weight. Not going to happen in its present form or any front engine inexpensive base car.

What does that leave? 700-750hp mustang weighing in at 3900/4000lbs with the cup2 tire not safe in the wet at those power numbers that will run exactly where the HC/new zl1 run. Mid to high tens on ET or DR.

The only thing I can see to helping with lower times is computer controlled power output. 500hp on takeoff and shifts with the 700hp available when tires have traction.

10s on street tires is exactly where it's headed. Hero runs on Hellcats and GT500s are already in the bottom 11s on street tires. Do you seriously think there are no more gains to be had? More advanced launch control programming is absolutely going to happen. Why are you so surprised that this is possible when the whole industry is headed that way? Ford is doing round the clock work with software in every aspect of vehicle dynamics.

The new GT500 will probably take aim much closer to the Z06 than is comfortable for Chevy. It probably won't be too far off in cost either. I'm thinking the new car will run 70-75K fully loaded with magnetic ride, tech pack, etc...

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
10s on street tires is exactly where it's headed. Hero runs on Hellcats and GT500s are already in the bottom 11s on street tires. Do you seriously think there are no more gains to be had? More advanced launch control programming is absolutely going to happen. Why are you so surprised that this is possible when the whole industry is headed that way? Ford is doing round the clock work with software in every aspect of vehicle dynamics.

The new GT500 will probably take aim much closer to the Z06 than is comfortable for Chevy. It probably won't be too far off in cost either. I'm thinking the new car will run 70-75K fully loaded with magnetic ride, tech pack, etc...

For $75K before ADM, I'll buy a Z06.

Users who are viewing this thread