Twin Turbo setup... I need help guys... smoking

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
You know what, one of my buddies came up with a possible explaination....
There is a high-volume oil pump on the car, there ARE restrictors on the feed line. Do you think that this could create a large amout of psi going into the turbo, kind of like putting your thumb over a hose and turning it on all the way? which would blow the seal in the turbos???

I was going to have them take off the restrictors and put the extra scavenge pump in and see if that does the trick.

y2k2gt

2V PoWereD
Established Member
I have one restrictor before the T that the feed lines are attached to. You shouldn't remove it. I have the high volume pump also.

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
so you don't think that this combo (high volume oil pump and restrictors) would make the psi too much and blow a seal? I'm hoping that putting the extra oil scavenge pump in will solve the problem but he said it was smoking pretty bad. It won't be too much to get the turbos rebuilt but I would rather not have to do it, if it has to be done, I'll just have to wait. These HP kits seem to have a smoking problem with everyone that buys them, that I have read at least. This weekend my buddy will install the extra oil scavenge pump so we will see if that fixes it. I have my fingers crossed...

Slow99x

Established Member
This is where knowing if you really have ball bearing turbos would come in handy. There is no "rebuilding" a ball bearing turbo. If it's blown you need to replace the center section. The cost is near $800 per turbo depending on the size of the turbo.

shhak

Established Member
Not sure if this helps any, but my car has 1 scavenger pump for 2 turbos. It is mounted so that the line to each turbo is the same length so it draws the same from both turbos. Also, if you can't figure it out, try calling precision-autosports in Beavercreek, OH. The owner, Jeff, has a lot of experience with this exact issue. He made custom fittings using nitrous jets to restrict the oil to the turbos. Just my 2 cents....

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
DO NOT remove the restrictors. If you take them off you are running -4an line straight into the turbos and that will flood the hell out of them. I have the HP kit on my car and I was killing mosquitos in the next time zone before I had restrictors. Now I only blow smoke after I slam on the brakes and the oil drain goes back to the turbo. I'll be installing a Westech turbo-scavange pump soon; both turbo drain lines into a T, single line into the pump, single line out of pump and into oil pan.

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
Okay, so I won't remove the restrictors, I will ask tomorrow about the ball bearings, hopefully I will find out this weekend if adding the extra pump by itself will fix the problem

shhak

Established Member
DO NOT remove the restrictors. If you take them off you are running -4an line straight into the turbos and that will flood the hell out of them. I have the HP kit on my car and I was killing mosquitos in the next time zone before I had restrictors. Now I only blow smoke after I slam on the brakes and the oil drain goes back to the turbo. I'll be installing a Westech turbo-scavange pump soon; both turbo drain lines into a T, single line into the pump, single line out of pump and into oil pan.

That is exactly how mine is set up. Works perfectly... No smoke EVER!:beer:

procharged 347

Established Member
Hey guys this car that max is talking about is very well put together, all the good stuff is on his car, no B/S when the guy he bought if from built it. The other pump can be put inline, and if so, anyway that it shoulbe done, the way its plumbed, wired, or anything you guys can think of to help us fix his problem would be awesome!!! Im his buddy whos helpin him and would love to get it sorted out, thx alot boys, Im not a SVT owner, but mustang owner all the same, thx again for your time!! :beer:

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
i found out the other day, the turbos are non-ball bearing, they are the GT32 turbos.

Do you guys know where we would mount the pumps if we are going to have 2 pumps in the return system? I want to have it all up and working great because if it is still smoking after we install this other pump, I will have to have the turbos rebuilt. Oh, and by the way, the pump that is off the car now is the more "powerful" one of the two, I don't know the exact specs though if that makes a difference or not.

blowngt

Established Member
i found out the other day, the turbos are non-ball bearing, they are the GT32 turbos.

Do you guys know where we would mount the pumps if we are going to have 2 pumps in the return system? I want to have it all up and working great because if it is still smoking after we install this other pump, I will have to have the turbos rebuilt. Oh, and by the way, the pump that is off the car now is the more "powerful" one of the two, I don't know the exact specs though if that makes a difference or not.

I'm running 1 Mocal oil pump and custom sump. I've never expierenced any smoking issues, but I had everything installed at the same time. Here are a few pics....

drain20003wc8.jpg

drain20002vs5.jpg

shhak

Established Member

I would just use 1 pump, probably the more powerful of the two. Try to run an equal length of hose from each turbo to a "T" and the one line from the "T" to the pump. Mine is setup that way and it works perfectly.

y2k2gt

2V PoWereD
Established Member
Who did you buy the car from. Is he from this board??

Last edited:

y2k2gt

2V PoWereD
Established Member
This was hepcat007's cas wasn't it?? I remember reading about it now. He had the engine rebuilt and the rings didn't seat and the builder was going to redo it. It seems like after that he didn't post anything after the engine was fixed. The rings thta didn't seat are the same ones I've been running with no problems. So, the turbos were new back in february. I bet the seals are ruined. Pull the exhaust housings off and look for oil.

procharged 347

Established Member
I'm running 1 Mocal oil pump and custom sump. I've never expierenced any smoking issues, but I had everything installed at the same time. Here are a few pics....

drain20003wc8.jpg

drain20002vs5.jpg

How many gpm is the oil pump? Do we need to get rid of the "catch" cans from the turbos, and, is there a central tank on ur car, that the oil collects in, at the pump or turbos? Do your lines run parellle with the ground and what size of the lines on ur return pump are you running?? :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread