Twin Turbo setup... I need help guys... smoking

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
I am in the process of buying a TT 01 cobra. I know the tuner. Motor is brand new with top of the line forged parts. Turbos are Garrett Gt32 ball bearing. They're brand new also. He was going to be tuning it today but said that it was smoking a lot. He thought it might be because of the oil return pump (he had only one on there with a T kind of setup for both turbos). The guy I am buying it from has another one. Do you guys thing if I have this other one installed that it would stop smoking?

TTargaSupra

Banned
Its possible that the new pump will help the problem. Thats usually what happens when there is oil return problems.

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
It is originally the HP turbo kit but the HP's were replaced with the Garretts. They are mounted pretty low in the fenders I believe but don't quote me on that.

The HP kits do usually mount the twins for those cars down low behind the front bumper on both sides, and if there's a problem with yoru oil return then I would get it fixed before you keep ragging the turbos out. Check to see if adding another pump will fix the problem.

There's even guys with single setup mounted up high, and when their return line doesn't go down on a steep enough angle they have issues with the oil draining back to the oil pan. So with low mounted turbos you definately want to make sure the pump is working right and then if it is you will have to add another pump.

Slow99x

Established Member
No such thing as a Garrett GT32 ball bearing turbo. That series is only journal bearing. If you don't believe me just check turbobygarrett.com. These turbos may be a garrett knockoff or a mistake by the seller telling you this information but they are not ball bearing from Garrett. The smoke may be due to a blown oil seal in one of the turbos or both. This is common in journal bearing turbos when they fail. If the seller still insists that they are ball bearing turbos, pull of the intake and spin the compressor. If it is a ball bearing turbo of this size it should spin for 20-45 seconds without having to spin it that hard. This should be done when the oild is warm though.

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
At any rate, I really just want it to run, do you really think that the oil seal could be blown? The turbos are brand new and was just all installed.

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
btw, the guy tuning didn't finish because it was smoking and I won't be running it until this gets fixed and it gets dyno tuned.

y2k2gt

2V PoWereD
Established Member
I did go through two pair of turbos before I found the fix for the HP kit. The pump you have must not be working or the seals are already blown.

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
Yea, as long as its something wrong with the turbos, I am calling Rush Racing in Schererville, IN and Pauls High Performance about it and see if they will look at it since theyare the only shops that I know of that are credible around me.

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
I'm not real sure what that means, so it needs a restrictor on the feed line maybe? If I do that and add the other pump to the setup, you think it should fix the blowby problem. It wasn't ran like this for long, just some step-tuning and one time down the road and they shut it down, you think the turbos are damaged?

y2k2gt

2V PoWereD
Established Member
This is where my car is tuned. Ken has tuned on my car many hours, so I'm sure he could get yours straightened out. It's only a 3.5 hour drive for you. What is your fuel set and how much power do you plan on making with the setup?
http://www.modulardepot.com/contact_us.php

Slow99x

Established Member
It could have caused a failure on the very first time it started with too much pressure. Where are these turbos being fed the oil from? If you are feeding from the oil filter without a restictor, you could be blowing out the seals. Most turbo manufacturers recomend feeding oil from the heads.

y2k2gt

2V PoWereD
Established Member
I'm not real sure what that means, so it needs a restrictor on the feed line maybe? If I do that and add the other pump to the setup, you think it should fix the blowby problem. It wasn't ran like this for long, just some step-tuning and one time down the road and they shut it down, you think the turbos are damaged?
Yes, the restrictor goes in the feed line for the turbos. If it doesn't have them. Then, that may be the problem.:shrug: Before adding the other pump find out if it has the restrictors.
I haven't read about anyone feeding their FI setups oil from the heads.

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
thanks y2k2gt, I appreciate you trying to help me out. I'll let you know what the two shops that I am calling tomorrow say.

Mark@RealStreet

Established Member
At any rate, I really just want it to run, do you really think that the oil seal could be blown? The turbos are brand new and was just all installed.

Well as the other member said, find out why the seller is telling you he has Ball Bearing GT32s because he doesn't. It may be innocent, but it's worth asking the question.

As for causing failures quickly, it can happen. People who dry start turbos without priming the oil system quite often fail the turbocharger before the oil makes it there.

What type of pressure is the turbo seeing? Generally a journal bearing turbo wants to be in the neighborhood of 65psi, where a ball bearing turbo should be around 20-30psi.

Users who are viewing this thread