Twin Turbo setup... I need help guys... smoking

blowngt

Established Member
How many gpm is the oil pump? Do we need to get rid of the "catch" cans from the turbos, and, is there a central tank on ur car, that the oil collects in, at the pump or turbos? Do your lines run parellle with the ground and what size of the lines on ur return pump are you running?? :shrug:

The lines are all -6. I wouldn't say that the lines are paralle to the ground, but there isn't much of a decline if that's what you're asking.

I'm not sure how many GPM the pump is. I'll try to find out. The only catch can that I'm running is the one in the second picture (the sump).

The only complaint I have is that the pump is noisy, kinda like an external fuel pump. You really can't hear it when the car is running though.

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
Yes, this is hepcat007's car. The builder put better rings in it this time so it should be fine. I will definitely check to see if the seals have been blown on the turbos this next weekend when I go to check it out. what GPM pump should I be running? just wondering.

Slow99x

Established Member
God I hate that HP intercooler design! I know it would have been harder to come up with a side to side design with the turbos mounted where they are but it would have made more power at the smame boost.

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
well, the builder doesn't think that it is a blown seal yet. He told me that the return lines (I didn't ask about the feed lines) are NOT the same length. So, if we put the more powerful pump in the longer line and the less powerful pump in the shorter line, would that work. He did tell me that it does have the more powerful one on there right now after the T in the line. Any more input would definitely be helpful because we are all going to try and figure this out this weekend and HOPEFULLY it will be driveable ~crosses fingers~

shhak

Established Member
well, the builder doesn't think that it is a blown seal yet. He told me that the return lines (I didn't ask about the feed lines) are NOT the same length. So, if we put the more powerful pump in the longer line and the less powerful pump in the shorter line, would that work. He did tell me that it does have the more powerful one on there right now after the T in the line. Any more input would definitely be helpful because we are all going to try and figure this out this weekend and HOPEFULLY it will be driveable ~crosses fingers~

2 pumps may be pretty noisy. I talked to HP once before about a friends car and they suggested 1 pump. You can remove both return lines and plug the 1 hole in the pan. Then run 2 equal lengths of line to a T and then run 1 line to the pump. Then run the line out of the pump to the pan. 2 pumps will work, but if you can get it to work with 1, I'd go that route. With 2 pumps, there's twice the chance for a failure. Good Luck:beer:

blowngt

Established Member

I've only got 1 pump and I have zero drainback issues with my kit. IMO, two pumps are completely unecessary.....

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
well, as it is now, I believe, is the two lines coming to a T and then to the pump and to the oil pan, but I could be wrong. I think that there are two taps in the front of the oil pan if I remember correctly though and the feed line comes from the oil pump I think :shrug: I guess I'll find out this weekend. I have a lot to learn about a twin turbo setup, a lot different than a blower on a 97 :D

Blown02

Established Member
I had a hp kit.. No smoking problems when I had mine.. no restrictors or pump.. some peoples hp kits smoke though.. i would make him fix it before I bought it..

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
he took the price down $2000 when he found out that there was a problem, so its all good. You didn't run any restrictors or a pump to get the oil back to the pan??? I haven't heard of anyone running that without problems. I don't know though. It seems that it would be an aweful lot of oil running to the turbos with not very much pressure to get it back to the oil pan...

We will try and set it up with equal length return lines to a T, to ONE (more powerful one) pump, and only one line into the oil pan and seal up the other tap thats in it. The feed line split from the oil pump with a restrictor for each line going to the turbos... should the feed lines be the same length also? <I've been thinking about this and this seems to be what sounds logical... I'm no engineer though

Blown02

Established Member
he took the price down $2000 when he found out that there was a problem, so its all good. You didn't run any restrictors or a pump to get the oil back to the pan??? I haven't heard of anyone running that without problems. I don't know though. It seems that it would be an aweful lot of oil running to the turbos with not very much pressure to get it back to the oil pan...

We will try and set it up with equal length return lines to a T, to ONE (more powerful one) pump, and only one line into the oil pan and seal up the other tap thats in it. The feed line split from the oil pump with a restrictor for each line going to the turbos... should the feed lines be the same length also? <I've been thinking about this and this seems to be what sounds logical... I'm no engineer though
Correct, I didnt run restrictors or a pump and my car didnt smoke.. However, after a year, 1 turbos shaft was bad, the other needed new bearings and seals.. :)

shhak

Established Member
I don't think it really matters about the feed lines being different lengths, as long as both turbos are seeing oil.

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
well, the guy that was supposed to be there so we could check it out and see what we can do about this problem didn't show up so I have to wait longer to see it. Anybody know any GOOD reliable turbo place around danville, IL? I called Paul's High Performance and they said they would not touch a turbo car. Rush Racing said they do turbo cars (they're in Schererville, IN) but I still need to ask about their experience with low-mount turbos on a mod motor.

anyways, the guy said that the only thing he thinks it would be right now making it smoke was the catch cans, so we were going to try and take those off and make sure both return lines were the same length and see what happens.

DRIVNFOOL1

Established Member
Usually a 60 thousanths restrictor on each turbo will take care of your problem. Have you measured the size of your ristrictors. Each car is different, you do not want to go to small. Start big (90thousanths) and work down, I have had to go all the way to a 50 before. You probably have so much oil in the exhaust system by this point, it is going to be difficult to tell if you have the problem fixed. I would disconnect as much of the exhaust system as possible to eliminate residual oil burning out of the exhaust giving you false smoke.

Just for everyones knowledge, if you know what size restrictors you are using post them up. This will give others with this problem a good starting point on their restrictors. I know HP will not give you a restrictor recomendation, they do not want to be liable.

Last edited:

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
Just for everyones knowledge, if you know what size restrictors you are using post them up. This will give others with this problem a good starting point on their restrictors. I know HP will not give you a restrictor recomendation, they do not want to be liable.

I'm running Function7 ~0.052" 4AN restrictors.

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
alright, so I talked to the guy that is doing the work on the car today and he said that he couldn't remember the size of the restrictor off the top of his head but he did say that he got the smallest size restrictor that garrett says that you can use with their turbos without burning them up, he talked directly with garrett. So, maybe its an issue with the actual return line size making the catch cans are restrict flow because they are filling up, and making the lines equal length from each turbo to the T in the line. Hopefully we will actually get a chance to take a look at it this weekend...

MustangJay

Banned
No such thing as a Garrett GT32 ball bearing turbo. That series is only journal bearing. If you don't believe me just check turbobygarrett.com. These turbos may be a garrett knockoff or a mistake by the seller telling you this information but they are not ball bearing from Garrett. The smoke may be due to a blown oil seal in one of the turbos or both. This is common in journal bearing turbos when they fail. If the seller still insists that they are ball bearing turbos, pull of the intake and spin the compressor. If it is a ball bearing turbo of this size it should spin for 20-45 seconds without having to spin it that hard. This should be done when the oild is warm though.

i noticed that

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
okay, i just got back from the guy's house and checked out the car. The way that the return lines were ran before the new motor and with the old turbos was: 10an steel braided line to a catch can, to a pump, to the oil pan. Just like that for each turbo, so they were ran separate... they had no problems with that setup before. now, he changed it to the one pump setup and now we have smoking problem... so, we are going to try and put it back to the two pump setup and see if that corrects the problem. if that doesn't work then it will get a leakdown test :bash: and hope nothing is wrong with the motor. If it does work, I will be getting it on a dyno asap and getting some numbers up :pepper:

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
well, we tried the setup with 2 pumps for the return system, basically we ran them independent of each other. Turbo to catch can to pump to oil pan on each side. That didn't work either, still smokes bad. hopefully I'll get it in soon to get a leakdown test and see what's up. fingers are crossed that it's the turbos and not the motor. if you guys want, I can post up pics of the car here a little later.

Users who are viewing this thread