Twin Turbo 5.0 Build

yellowrubiu

Established Member
what did you guys do with the fuse box on the passenger side of the car? I think its a fuse box, I'm not even 100% sure but I know there is something over there.

If you look closely at the picture above it looks like its been relocated to sit between the turbo on the passenger side and the overflow radiator overflow tank.

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
I noticed that as well. I know how hot compressor covers get so I was wondering about possib le melting of the box, but there might be more room than there appears to be in the pics (which is typically the case)

KenB

Established Member
I noticed that as well. I know how hot compressor covers get so I was wondering about possib le melting of the box, but there might be more room than there appears to be in the pics (which is typically the case)

It's fairly close but I don't think close enough to cause any issues. It's not close to any of the exhaust.

But keep in mind, right now there is zero heat protection added on this setup. No coatings and no heat shields. I'm daily driving this car right now. Keep in mind that 7 out of the last 9 days we have had high temps of 80. Obviously gets a lot hotter than that down here in the summer, but still able to get some good heat testing in now considering it's December.

We are leaving the kit as is while we do all our testing to see if anything has trouble with the heat. Once the kit is finalized, we will do some thorough logging of ambient and surface temps as is. Then we will coat the kit and add an heat shields we think might help and then log it again.

Most companies don't have the time and/or resources to do this type of testing. Thankfully in our case, this is a side project so we can really put it through the ringer before we decide to release it.

KenB

Established Member
Trying to keep occupied because the track is closed, snapped some pics with my phone that turned out pretty good.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Did I mention I LOVE THIS CAR?

yellowrubiu

Established Member
man every time I look at those pictures of the engine bay I have to wipe the drool from the keyboard. If that was my car I'd be walking around doing this all day :dancenana:

Ditty

Established Member
Probably just a little more than I LOVE this car. Really re-thinking the 5yr/100k warranty! I can't wait until this kit is done and available!!! Daddy Likey!!!!

D.T.R

Established Member
Nice build, hopefully, one day I'll be going this route.

Is there a particular reason for twins and not a big single?

KenB

Established Member
Nice build, hopefully, one day I'll be going this route.

Is there a particular reason for twins and not a big single?

Thanks. Quite a few actually.

The biggest reason is exhaust routing. This was the best possible setup we could come up with that will support both a stock engine and a built setup.

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
I really like the idea of the twins because of exhaust routing over the single with a cross over pipe, but I don't like the intercooler design with that Y pipe with the bov on it and I don't like the wastegate placement all the way up top. I feel like there will be boost creep issues on a built setup making alot of power. Any pics of where the gate mounts to the collectors?

Could you have ran a vertical flow intercooler with both turbos feeding into the bottom end tank and then having the top end tank feeding to the driver side and around to the throttle body?

KenB

Established Member
No boost creep. If I don't have it at 8 psi, I certainly won't have it at higher boost where the demand on the wastegates are much less.

I could have but this car has an air to water for many reasons I discussed earlier. And based on our early data its a homerun

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

D.T.R

Established Member
I really like the idea of the twins because of exhaust routing over the single with a cross over pipe, but I don't like the intercooler design with that Y pipe with the bov on it and I don't like the wastegate placement all the way up top. I feel like there will be boost creep issues on a built setup making alot of power. Any pics of where the gate mounts to the collectors?

Could you have ran a vertical flow intercooler with both turbos feeding into the bottom end tank and then having the top end tank feeding to the driver side and around to the throttle body?

Actually, you're more prompt to see boost creep at low boost than at higher boost.

I do agree with the wg placement... however, i also have no idea if it's even possible to place it elsewhere..

KenB

Established Member
Actually, you're more prompt to see boost creep at low boost than at higher boost.

I do agree with the wg placement... however, i also have no idea if it's even possible to place it elsewhere..

Not sure what you guys are seeing on the placement but that was a priority to us and the kit was designed around the placement. You guys haven't even see the manifolds but the gates have priority and a better flow path as compared to any kit I've seen. Plus we have 2!

D.T.R

Established Member
Not sure what you guys are seeing on the placement but that was a priority to us and the kit was designed around the placement. You guys haven't even see the manifolds but the gates have priority and a better flow path as compared to any kit I've seen. Plus we have 2!

"Normally" , a WG placed on the top portion of the manifold tends to creep more than one on the bottom.

D.T.R

Established Member
They are the MVS gates which are 38mm

Damn, that's pretty small.... I hope you don't creep though, especially on low boost.
If you do, that's a simple fix though... the flange at the manifold can be changed to a bigger one to accommodate a bigger wg.

KenB

Established Member
Damn, that's pretty small.... I hope you don't creep though, especially on low boost.
If you do, that's a simple fix though... the flange at the manifold can be changed to a bigger one to accommodate a bigger wg.

Not sure where you are getting your information from, but you are completely wrong. Because on a twin kit, 38mm gates are not small. Other single kits come with 38mm. We have 2 gates.

Have you even been following the whole thread? There is nothing to hope for, we have already achieved it. The car has been dyno'd at 6 and 8 psi with zero boost creep issues.

This wastegate design is top notch, trust me.

And show me another twin kit (or single kit) that you can change our the wastegate springs in 5 minutes. :banana:

KenB

Established Member
And just a note to everyone, I really do invite criticism, but those last few comments are just misinformed. If you are going to say you don't like something, please explain why so I can tell you why things were done the way they were done. It will help filter out inaccurate information quicker.

An example would be worrying about boost creep as we turn up the power. That is exactly the opposite of how boost creep works. Boost creep is caused by bad wastegate priority and/or undersized wastegate(s). Someone just glancing over that post might not get the whole picture. That is how bad information spreads.

This kit was designed from scratch with all of that in mind. Furthermore, I have already said it has been dyno'd on 7 psi which is the lowest it would ever go and we have had zero issues.

I encourage everyone wanting to learn more about wastegate placement to do some research. what you see in a typical kit is often times the worst way to do it. I won't comment on any other specific kit so please don't ask. Do your research and decide for yourself, focus on researching wastegate priority and also the placement and angle of where you dump it back into the downpipe.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread