Twin Turbo 5.0 Build

KenB

Established Member
We've been working on this for awhile and have a build thread going on on other forums and realized I never started one here. I'll give you a quick recap and copy over most of the pictures to this site.

The car is a brand new 2011 5.0 Auto. It's owned by a long time customer of mine that contacted me over the summer about turbo charging a 5.0L. He knew that my old shop built the quickest 3v turbo car and wanted some advice.

After a long conversation, he jumped in the car and drove it down here to Florida. I do all my tuning at Power by the Hour Performance in Boynton Beach. Jake, the owner and I are great friends and his specialty is custom turbo kits. So this was an obvious fit to get the project going.

The goals for the kit:
1)Reliability - No power adder kit is any good if you are always worried about it
2)Quality - It's all in the details
3)Power - The owner wanted a kit that could perform on the stock engine and also be able to flex it's muscle on a built engine without requiring a bunch of upgrades to the kit.

It was quickly decided by Jake and I that we would go twins. Anyway, here are some pics as they happened in the other threads and I will update this one as we progress.

IMAG0086.jpg

KenB

Established Member
Decided on turbo placement:

IMAG0105.jpg

3" downpipes

IMAG0248.jpg

IMAG0243.jpg

And here is one of the cooler parts. The flanges will be exactly where the stock mainfolds were, so the stock midpipe or any aftermarket one will bolt right up.

IMAG0224.jpg

IMAG0222.jpg

KenB

Established Member
passenger downpipe - two piece to make install easy
IMAG0262.jpg

IMAG0261.jpg

One of the main sticking points has been the driver's side downpipe and trying to avoid the oil dipstick when still getting around the steering shaft.

This is what we first came up with:
IMAG0251.jpg

This 'worked' but we were unhappy with the routing of the downpipe and I don't like the bend being that harsh that close to the turbo.

Then Jake decided to try and go straight back and stay as tight the the strut tower as possible. This allowed for a better shaped downpipe but made it very difficult to get to the dipstick.

Still unhappy, Jake and I put our heads together and decided to make a dipstick tube extension.

IMAG0010.jpg

IMAG0270.jpg

It used the factory bolt to hold it down and will just require a longer dipstick. Problem solved.
IMAG0273.jpg

IMAG0274.jpg

KenB

Established Member
Installed one of these on each side. They go to the manifold so we can measure backpressure

IMAG0112.jpg

2 -10AN return lines for turbos

IMAG0133.jpg

Intercooler pump

IMAG0121.jpg

This is where the two turbos will y together right before the intercooler. The BOV will also be in this area

IMAG0355.jpg

IMAG0356.jpg

IMAG0360.jpg

IMAG0359.jpg

KenB

Established Member
Getting the tank all setup in the trunk. We didn't make the tank, the owner had it from another project. We did add the larger cap.

IMAG0033.jpg

IMAG0031.jpg

IMAG0032.jpg

Got the blow off mounted. We decided to integrate it into the y. This keeps it nicely packaged and we can hard mount the y to keep everything secure. Then just run the 2 turbo pipes to this.

This was fun to cut and fit

IMAG0034.jpg

All welded up
IMAG0036.jpg

The view from the BOV
IMAG0040.jpg

IMAG0041.jpg

KenB

Established Member
Jake got quite a bit of the small things done today. Oil lines done, everything re installed. etc etc. But that makes for boring pics so I snapped a few more beauty shots with my cell phone now that it's mostly done and cleaned up. We are waiting on a tubing for the pipe to the throttle body. Water lines need to be run to the tank in the trunk. Vacuum lines to the wategates/boost controller. And probably a few little things I'm forgetting. But we are getting close!

IMAG0063.jpg

IMAG0065.jpg

IMAG0069.jpg

IMAG0066.jpg

KenB

Established Member
Thanks guys. That's all for now. Those last pictures were taken last night. The tubing we are waiting on will be here Thursday. Should be able to have everything done by Friday. But then I'm headed to PRI. So expect some dyno results next week as well as track results if the dyno goes well.

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
The problem with the turbo kit currently commercially available for the 5.0 is backpressure in the exhaust.

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
Kit is looking great! What size turbos are they? Expected power? What fuel will it be on? When's the built motor coming?

Users who are viewing this thread