Twin Turbo 5.0 Build

KenB

Established Member
Thanks for all the positive comments. It really means a lot to us.

Ok, Jake got the pipe from the intercooler to the throttle body all mocked up! Looks killer.

Just the pipe

IMAG0366.jpg

Comes up from the intercooler next to radiator
IMAG0368.jpg

front view
IMAG0367.jpg

side view
IMAG0369.jpg

KenB

Established Member
Is there a reason why you're going with an A/W intercooler on this build?

Yes, quite a few. Most kits use an air-to-air because they are cheaper and much easier to install. Also, in the past they did the job ok. But with the limited room in the front bumper to get proper airflow for an air-to-air on the newer cars, combined with 600+ rwhp being a normal number nowadays with many cars pushing 800+, an air-to-water is just a better choice in this application in my opinion.

I can't really give hard numbers yet, but I will once we have this car running. But I think the performance of this setup will be just as good as any air to air in regular use, hopefully better. But more importantly it will shine at the track. Most people probably aren't going to notice +/- 20-30 rwhp on a 600 rwhp car on the street in most cases. But at the track where things are more critical the air-to-water will outshine the air-to-air every time.

Most people shy away from air-to-water due to cost and complexity. Not only do you have the cooler itself, but you have a heat exchanger, tank, lines, mounting brackets and a pump. Most people don't want to go through the trouble of setting that up. Also, most people think of Twin Screws and heatsoak when they think of air-to-water and Mustangs. We get all the benefits of air-to-water with none of the heat soak because our intercooler is placed away from any heat at all. Thankfully we have learned a lot about street air-to-water setup thanks to Ford and the Shelby's Cobras and GTs. Think of how well the Shelby intercooler works on the high horsepower cars and it's sandwiched in-between a hot engine and a very hot blower.

If we decide to produce this turbo system, we will also offer the intercooler setup as a complete kit to convert a Vortech or Procharger. We will provide everything you need from the blower to the throttle body. Just need your blower bracket and head unit. It will make it a simple conversion and you would never know it's there. It will support well over 1,000 hp.

I already have a Procharger test car lined up. Joe Coffeeman DeCaria

Here is his car:

IMAG0097.jpg

and here is his timeslip from tonight:

IMAG0095.jpg

It's on E85, D1 on about 16 psi, Circle D converter on Radials. Even in cool temps tonight (59*) it was seeing 175 IATs. I think with our intercooler setup it will pick up an insane amount of power.

Last edited:

KenB

Established Member
Those turbochargers are awfully close to the valve covers. Aren't you worried about melting them?

No not at all. But I will be logging surface and ambient temps under the hood to make sure. Also, they will be coated once the project is done.

Think of how many kits squeeze a single turbo (more heat) in between the front of the motor and the plastic fan shroud. Or how about all the turbos, twins and singles that are behind the plastic bumpers. The valve cover is designed to take more heat that either the fan shroud or the bumpers.

BOOSTD5.4

Established Member
We are considering it. It will be awhile before any pricing would be determined. Just stay tuned to this thread for updates!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

X2 for a Boss!

Mike

Ditty

Established Member
I am LOVING EVERY minute of this build!!! I really hope this is a great payoff!!! I'm sure it will be, but I have been excited on other projects in the past that either didn't deliver as expected or were complete failures! (One of 'em MINE! Failure.) PLEASE GOD LET THIS BE AWESOME!!!!! PLEEEEAAASSSSEEEE????!!!!

BTW....I want this set up so badly...but this 100K mile warranty is killing that dream for a few years!

KenB

Established Member
I am LOVING EVERY minute of this build!!! I really hope this is a great payoff!!! I'm sure it will be, but I have been excited on other projects in the past that either didn't deliver as expected or were complete failures! (One of 'em MINE! Failure.) PLEASE GOD LET THIS BE AWESOME!!!!! PLEEEEAAASSSSEEEE????!!!!

BTW....I want this set up so badly...but this 100K mile warranty is killing that dream for a few years!

Well to put your mind at ease, the last major turbo car I was involved in set the record for quickest 3v. That was a few years ago and still holds the record. This will payoff, trust me

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

svteezy

Established Member
No they are 100% custom. I'm not going to post pictures of those yet.

ha I understand.. Im working on putting together a plan on my coyote fox for a turbo build.. Im looking at doing a single due to lack of room in the engine bay.. Your twin setup looks amazing though! I have an idea for headers but just wanted to see how yours looked.

KenB

Established Member
Here is the 3v I was talking about, Vinny Barber's car.

the-engine-bay-of-barbers-wild-steeda-mustang.jpg

and here is the last build to come out of Jake's shop that I tuned

IMAG0030.jpg

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Hey Ken where is the mass air meter at on that Ford GT? Stock ECU? Or you tuning Big Stuff 3 now also? (Maybe that's just wishful thinking that I could get you to help me out on my tuning with the new CJ I'm building lol)

Guys, Ken Bjonnes really knows his stuff and always surrounds himself with excellence. Has tuned several of my cars and is always willing to teach.

KenB

Established Member
Hey Ken where is the mass air meter at on that Ford GT? Stock ECU? Or you tuning Big Stuff 3 now also? (Maybe that's just wishful thinking that I could get you to help me out on my tuning with the new CJ I'm building lol)

Guys, Ken Bjonnes really knows his stuff and always surrounds himself with excellence. Has tuned several of my cars and is always willing to teach.

I wasn't involved in the design of that kit and Jake is a standalone guy. So, MAF placement wasn't considered at first, then it was decided to use the stock computer. At first we put the MAF right before the throttle body. That worked but it got too hot and I was worried it would melt. The best I could come up with on that setup was to use dual MAFs on the inlets. That is a bandaid because the BOVs blow off to atmosphere and it goes rich. Runs fine but we are not ok with leaving it that way, so we are going to swap out the BOV and run bypass valves like this:

QRlg.jpg

and route it back to the inlets after the MAFs.

I've been tuning BS3 for awhile, that is what was on Vinny Barber's 3V the last year we ran it. In the picture above it still had the stock computer on it.

Thanks for the kind words

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread