TVS Swap -- what all is needed?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
^ exactly. Why didnt you go with a 2.8 instead of a 3.0, just curious

3.0 from what I understand is around 16-17psi Which is good for pump gas. The 2.8 pulley is around 18-19psi that's pushing it on pump gas.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
3.0 from what I understand is around 16-17psi Which is good for pump gas. The 2.8 pulley is around 18-19psi that's pushing it on pump gas.

I ran 19-20lbs 17* on 93 of timing and had no issues and made great power.
The 2.8 is an ideal street pulley. It is very safe for 93.
You can add octane, load the race tune and you are ready for the track.
A good tune is the key to a happy motor.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member

2.8 is good for 20#'s w/ stock manifolds, thats what I am seeing, and there is no doubt in my mind, that it is tuned properly.

21.5#'s with a 2.6 (93 mix w/ 110)

Lots of different combos out there, OP did you decide what your going to do yet? Also, make sure to add some money for incedentals, Ie...gaskets screws, all that stuff that seems to always nickel and dime me to death...:beer:

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I ran 19-20lbs 17* on 93 of timing and had no issues and made great power.
The 2.8 is an ideal street pulley. It is very safe for 93.
You can add octane, load the race tune and you are ready for the track.
A good tune is the key to a happy motor.

I know tune is key. I was considering the 2.8 pulley previously on E85. Now sticking with 92 octane I'm not sure how far it's worth pushing it just to chase a number?

Will a 3.0 upper get close to cracking 600rwhp on 92 octane? Maybe run the smaller 2.8 and add torco?

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I know tune is key. I was considering the 2.8 pulley previously on E85. Now sticking with 92 octane I'm not sure how far it's worth pushing it just to chase a number?

Will a 3.0 upper get close to cracking 600rwhp on 92 octane? Maybe run the smaller 2.8 and add torco?

You should be able to crack 600 with the 3.0
A good intake and free flowing exhaust definitely helps.

Last edited:

40mpgH8r

Cobra Newb
Established Member
I'm in the same boat OP. I will be purchasing a TVS in the summer so over winter/spring I'll be purchasing my parts that need upgraded. I was planning on going the BAP/Wiring upgrade/60# injectors route because I only wanted 550rwhp and then purchase the Fore Hat w/GT Pumps and dual FPDM route when I wanted to up the rwhp to 650. BUT the PPRV is killing me when I shift from 3rd to 4th so I figure I might as well go the Fore Hat route now and forget about the BAP. I don't think I'll be going past the 700 mark so I plan on staying returnless. I've researched pretty much past 700rwhp should be done with return style. I don't go to the drag strip.

So far I've purchased:
FRPP 60#
JLT NextGen 12' High Boost CAI

I still need to buy:
LFP SBTB
Fore Hat SN95 Level 1 Returnless System
I guess Fore Hat sells a wiring harness I'll need to wire everything together:shrug:
SCT BA2600

Money is an issue with me but only because I'm a student and parts are expensive. I'll be performing all the work except for the tune. Then of course I'll need Fuel Pressure Gauge and a SOS A-pillar.

99S_V_T

Established Member
If you plan to purchase the TVS soon you may want to hold off until the 2nd Generation comes out, VMP is supposed to unveil that here in the next few weeks. Hard telling what till be different or if the difference is worth it but time will tell. :read:

VNMOUS1

Established Member
If you plan to purchase the TVS soon you may want to hold off until the 2nd Generation comes out, VMP is supposed to unveil that here in the next few weeks. Hard telling what till be different or if the difference is worth it but time will tell. :read:

Details will be released within a few weeks for GT500 2007-2014.

bj

JustaGT5408

Established Member
So having the TVS on the GT500 isnt enough and ya gotta have one on the Cobra also? :rockon:

Shoot me a text or give me a call if you want any help with anything :beer:

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

Little do you Cobra guys know, you've had an extremely good TVS available to you for the past 1.5 years, especially since we came out with the GT500 bolt pattern elbow and monoblade TB last summer. The Cobra was a clean slate design so we got to make the inlet huge from the start, but with easy install and fuel rail access. We'll be leveraging other design benefits on some other applications but the Cobra guys are doing great with what they've got. The only thing I'm thinking about changing is the addition of an EGR provision, this may cut into the flowpath though, so we have to be careful how we do it.

The current VMP TVS Cobra design allows as much as 750rwhp on a stock cobra engine (Tim and Senkak) and 850+ on a built engine (Jake's 8.70 Cobra).

Back to the OPs question, you guys pretty much outlined what's needed, the fuel system and maf options are up for debate as there are a myriad of ways you can go, I tell most guys this is the bare minimum they need to get started:

VMP 2.3L TVS Supercharger Upgrade for 2003-2004 Cobra Mustang: VMP Tuning - Superchargers, Tuners, Custom Tunes, & Performance Parts
"Fuel & MAF Upgrades" for VMP 2.3L TVS Cobra Supercharger Upgrade: VMP Tuning - Superchargers, Tuners, Custom Tunes, & Performance Parts

The pulley on the TVS is in the same place as the stock blower so the same belts work, ie a 2.76 on a stock blower uses the same belt as a 2.6 or 2.8 on a vmp tvs.

If you want to make more than 650-700rwhp (max on stock pumps with booster) then I recommend going straight to return. Lethal has a lot of innovative parts to get you there easily and inexpensively. You can even use stock rails, which are easier to work with and provide good fuel cooling. Return eliminates any hesitation issues and provides much more consistent fuel pressure which makes tuning the car more accurate at high power levels.

Jcobra03

import reaper
Established Member
what kind of boost are people seeing with the 3.0 upper 4lb lower setups? I have a 10:5:1 teksid motor with ported 04 cobra heads on e85. just trying to get an idea of what its capable of.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
what kind of boost are people seeing with the 3.0 upper 4lb lower setups? I have a 10:5:1 teksid motor with ported 04 cobra heads on e85. just trying to get an idea of what its capable of.

I run a 3.0/4lb boost is about 21.5 power is 733/682 on a stock motor and E85
PM Jake about his set up
It is similar to yours.

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
the cooling mod will help on not killing the motor.lol what clutch do you have with the 26spline?

So can't you just get the killer chiller and not have the cooling mod since the KC will cool down the coolant and temps all around anyway?

UncleSAm

Blow Me
Established Member
So can't you just get the killer chiller and not have the cooling mod since the KC will cool down the coolant and temps all around anyway?

Coolant will still get trapped at the back of the head and get hot. The K/C would be worthless if the coolant can't get to it

93stang5.0

Established Member
My build list.

TVS 2.3
3.3 upper and 4lb lower "should see 18lbs"
Accufab TB
SCT BA2400
Stock air tube just with a bigger k&n filter
80# injectors
Fore return style system with gss342's "will run e85"
Head cooling mod, LFP H/E & LFP SC coolant tank.
Stock manifolds, bassani o/r x & CB
Stock input shaft, stock flywheel, Spec 3 clutch
FRPP diff cover, FTBR busing kit.

I am in need of other parts like LT's, kmember, 26spline shaft, clutch, flywheel and the list goes on. Funds have ran out. :nonono: lol Waiting on my NGK AFX wideband to start remote tuning with "04sleeper".

Last edited:

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
I'm so jelly of Timspony and Senkak. Sigh. One day...

OP, if I were you I would just ask these guys exactly what they did to get to 750rwhp and stay within their mod style. For example, they are return guys with E85. You don't have to get the exact return system they have, but plan on getting one that is equivalent in fuel displacement.

I do have one question: can't you just run the 2.6 and make 21 psi instead of running a 3.0 and 4# lower? I mean psi is psi, right? Or, am I wrong, and is this the reason that Bandit5.4 only made 702 and you guys made 754 & 733? I just want to know for sure so when it comes time to do it I get as much power as you guys do.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm so jelly of Timspony and Senkak. Sigh. One day...

OP, if I were you I would just ask these guys exactly what they did to get to 750rwhp and stay within their mod style. For example, they are return guys with E85. You don't have to get the exact return system they have, but plan on getting one that is equivalent in fuel displacement.

I do have one question: can't you just run the 2.6 and make 21 psi instead of running a 3.0 and 4# lower? I mean psi is psi, right? Or, am I wrong, and is this the reason that Bandit5.4 only made 702 and you guys made 754 & 733? I just want to know for sure so when it comes time to do it I get as much power as you guys do.

I might be wrong here, but I believe running a lower will usually help produce more torque for some reason.

99S_V_T

Established Member
I might be wrong here, but I believe running a lower will usually help produce more torque for some reason.

False. Blower RPM is blower RPM, doesn't matter which pulley is changed the blower will spin at "x" RPM and make "x" boost if you go with a tiny upper only or a lower and a moderate upper. if the pulley ratio stays the same RPM stays the same, flow stays the same, power doesn't change.

Users who are viewing this thread