Turbo really better?

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
I think it all depends on how you have the turbos set up as well. You can have a really good DD twin turbo pushing 800hp, but what are you going to use that for on the street? The occasional race? The occasional track event? I think that unless you've got a ton of money to spare, stick with the twin screw. No plumbing under the hood and minimal upgrades (compared to a 1000hp turbo set up)

All that being said, when I have the money, I'm going turbo, but at that point, this car wont' be my DD

BLK_03

Established Member
You can have a really good DD twin turbo pushing 800hp, but what are you going to use that for on the street?

I'm not sure what the answer is, but I'll throw out a few possibilities:

- Pushing your eyeballs as far back into your skull as possible
- Creating a smile on your face that extends to China
- Making passengers wet themselves
- Attempting to re-pave a road with rubber
- Attempting to rotate the earth on it's axis

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
mine didnt scrape, i had idle problems and stalling coming to a light. i was told this was normal and i waould have to re-learn how to drive the car. the bov blows the air right in front of the maff, and caused really ruff idle and to stall.

Yea, the stalling thing is still driving me nuts. I had it tuned out originally, but it came back. When I come to a light the rpms drop to 500 unless I goose the gas a little, then it idles at 1100 or so.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Yea, the stalling thing is still driving me nuts. I had it tuned out originally, but it came back. When I come to a light the rpms drop to 500 unless I goose the gas a little, then it idles at 1100 or so.

If you have anyone close with a Cobra, try swapping IAC valves once to see if it's something that simple!

I had a bolt on only '99 Mustang GT that started surging at stop lights to the point that over time it would drop low enough and stall, and rev up and hold a high idle if I tried to blip it to keep it running! Put a new IAC valve on it, and it was perfect!

Ken

Trick Pony

Stang Addict
Established Member
Having lived in CA I know that car stuff and especially labor costs a lot more there. Here in TX you can get a Hellion twin turbo kit for $7k installed at a local shop!
If you're talking about a given hp level that the twin screw is capable of making, then sure it's more bang for the buck compared to a turbo car making the same power.
But the fact is even a base level turbo kit (say twin 56s) has more potential for more hp in the future than a big twin screw. This is important to me because horsepower is a degenerative disease that always leaves you wanting more no matter how much you make. As mentioned before, turbos are also more efficient and easier on the engine due to parasitic losses from turning the blower and more heat generated. So they make more power at the same boost level, are easier on the motor, and are capable of running higher boost levels too.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member

I recently had to cover my seats in plastic like my grandmothers furniture to keep the stains off the seats.

Trick Pony. Who in their right mind will sell and install a Hellion TT kit for $7k? Considering the kit is $7500 base price, the shop would be selling the kit less then retail and free labor! Shit I wont do anymore wrenching for myself if someone else will do it for free!! :beer:

danny03cobra

Established Member

i was not able to get rid of that......had to of the BEST tuners work on it and it got better for a while, but it came back once the computer adjusted. not good for daily driving, otherthan that...car pulled really hard.

drove me crazy having to hit the gas when i had to hit the brakes, specially in this cali traffic.:fm:

Greg@RET

Established Member
Blow thru would be a good thing for the Hellion kits. When you get out of boost datalog what your mafV does....lots of backwash.

QWKRN U

1 0f 72 Build #159
Established Member
You think thats bad, try mentioning "auto" to him! :uh oh:

Yeah I know. Im the same way. If I wanted a an automatic 4V car with a solid axle, I woulda bought a Mach1.

BLK_03 is one of the local guys here so I enjoy giving him a lil trouble now and again. But it is one Bad ass ride. Every time I deceide 99% on a getting a whipple I see his car in person destroying someone and I think damn turbos are nice too lol.

Blown04GT

No, it's not a GT
Established Member

hahahaha, that was great!!!!!!!

Blown04GT

No, it's not a GT
Established Member
Had back luck or speaking from what you've read?

I personally haven't had any bad luck with it (knocks on wood until knuckles are bloody) but I have "read" that they aren't very friendly to launches. Not as many on the street as the track, but if it starts hopping with 700+ to the tires and things might not hold on too well :)

heytonyman

build-break-repeat
Established Member
I just went thru the mind crunches of whether to go turbo or not. Here's what I have came up with.

Looking at the Turbo/Blower decision from a money standpoint really depends on what your power goals are and what you intend to do with the car. Comparing what it takes for a proper blower setup to hit 700 and a turbo kit to hit 700 you will find a very close TOTAL when the project is complete. My current setup is a KB 2.8H, BF hub and uppers,Metco hub and lowers, BF idlers, RR tensioner, at least 3 belts, KB Throttle Body, JLT Intake, LFP HE, LFP Tank, Meziere Pump, Kooks Headers and midpipe, blah blah blah... add ALL that stuff up and you will find that total cost of a proper blower setup capable of hitting 700whp is close to, IF NOT MORE than the cost of an entry level turbo kit capable of the same power. Sure you can pickup a turbo kit thats gonna take 10K out of your wallet but lets compare Apples to Apples here. Also, don't forget the fact that there are usually $1K worth of front suspension goodies that come included with these turbo kits.

Advantage for the blower setup is that you can do it piece by piece as your checkbook can handle it and still have a running, function car. Turbo kit is an all at once throw down of cash and parts but the reward is immediate.

Like 99% of the people on here I drive my car on the street... daily. Pump gas is the key for me and lets face it, if you run a blower, you start rolling the dice anytime up over 600whp. 600whp/520ft/lbs on blower or 650whp/700FT/LBS on turbo. It's not the 50whp thats going to make it worth the swap, its the 180+ ft/lbs additional that will make all my doubts disappear. That was decision enough for me. Hellion going on in 2 weeks...

Tony

Last edited:

HomeboyNorm

Established Member
Yea if you are running NHRA and John Force. Lets be real here.

I know Apples vs Oranges, however I was being somewhat sarcastic. I did not mean to knock on the Turbo Cobras as they are still very nice cars, and your car is indeed a prime example of that. I am curious what it does in the Quarter Mile?

My opinion personally, why ruin the '03-'04 Cobra heritage by changing power adders? That is unless you want an all-out race Cobra for race purposes and best results.

I think the fastest twin screw Cobra in quarter mile so far is around 9.2 elapsed time, and a low to mid 8 ET for Turbo. Speed costs money either way, so it depends on how deep of a pocket does one have for what purpose in mind.

TRBO VNM

I know Apples vs Oranges, however I was being somewhat sarcastic. I did not mean to knock on the Turbo Cobras as they are still very nice cars, and your car is indeed a prime example of that. I am curious what it does in the Quarter Mile?

My opinion personally, why ruin the '03-'04 Cobra heritage by changing power adders? That is unless you want an all-out race Cobra for race purposes and best results.

I think the fastest twin screw Cobra in quarter mile so far is around 9.2 elapsed time, and a low to mid 8 ET for Turbo. Speed costs money either way, so it depends on how deep of a pocket does one have for what purpose in mind.

why can't a turbo cobra be just a daily driver, weekend cruiser and occassional track car just like a eaton/TS car?

TRBO VNM

I recently had to cover my seats in plastic like my grandmothers furniture to keep the stains off the seats.

Trick Pony. Who in their right mind will sell and install a Hellion TT kit for $7k? Considering the kit is $7500 base price, the shop would be selling the kit less then retail and free labor! Shit I wont do anymore wrenching for myself if someone else will do it for free!! :beer:

+1. I can tell you right now there is no way someone is only charging 7k for the twin kit and install. I know that for 100% fact because I know dealer and distributor cost on them.

BLK_03

Established Member
why can't a turbo cobra be just a daily driver, weekend cruiser and occassional track car just like a eaton/TS car?

clap2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread