Turbo really better?

DOHC

Just Mod It
Established Member
I have been thinking of going turbo, but for the $, it seem's talking to friends ( I have not ran all the #'s) that for the same price going turbo you could have a built block and fuel system with a large twin-screw and make more power. What do you all think?:shrug:

DOHC

Just Mod It
Established Member
Well, yes those are nice #'s, But the Question was about $$$. I would say a 3.4 Whip on a built block could make more power at a higher boost for less $$.

Blown04GT

No, it's not a GT
Established Member
for the same price going turbo you could have a built block and fuel system with a large twin-screw and make more power. What do you all think?:shrug:

It looked to me like you were saying for the same price, you could make more power with a twin-screw. Either way, sure you could get out for less money going twin-screw, but you will be limited on power. I am not sure what your power goals are, but if they are anything above 750-800, you should be looking at going turbo. There are other advantages of going turbo as well, not just the ability to make more power.

If you look at kit vs. kit, you may spend a grand or two more on the turbo kit, but you will end up with more and more room to grow.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
i just think its cool to say "Yea i have a twin turbo cobra" peoples faces drop

BLK_03

Established Member
I have been thinking of going turbo, but for the $, it seem's talking to friends ( I have not ran all the #'s) that for the same price going turbo you could have a built block and fuel system with a large twin-screw and make more power. What do you all think?:shrug:

Make more power? No way. Well, I guess I should say boost for boost there is no way. 20 pounds of boost on a twin screw will be 100 or more HP less than 20 pounds of boost on a turbo car. But if you run 8 pounds on the turbo car and 20 pounds on the twin screw, well then of course the twin screw makes more power.

Setting up a Terminator for a turbo will cost much more than setting one up for a twin screw. A fuel system is going to be required for either setup. Even the cheapest turbo kit that is out is thousands more than a twin screw.

I would also say it is EASIER to get a better ET out of a twin screw car. But once you get the turbo car setup, it will run better numbers---just harder to do so.

blackvenom77

killer cobra
Established Member
Make more power? No way. Well, I guess I should say boost for boost there is no way. 20 pounds of boost on a twin screw will be 100 or more HP less than 20 pounds of boost on a turbo car. But if you run 8 pounds on the turbo car and 20 pounds on the twin screw, well then of course the twin screw makes more power.

Setting up a Terminator for a turbo will cost much more than setting one up for a twin screw. A fuel system is going to be required for either setup. Even the cheapest turbo kit that is out is thousands more than a twin screw.

I would also say it is EASIER to get a better ET out of a twin screw car. But once you get the turbo car setup, it will run better numbers---just harder to do so.

Which do you like better now you have had both?

DOHC

Just Mod It
Established Member
Im not talking about boost, Im talking about HP for your $. Seems a lot of turbo guys running 700 or 800 HP on the stock motor. That was the route that I am thinking of taking. Some of my friends say I could get a built motor, fuel system, and large blower (2.8 or 3.4) And make the same power for le$$ and have the reliability of a motor to handel the power. The cost of the blower, motor and fuel system would be around 8 grand doing some of the work myself. Just from doing a little searching, going turbo is over 10 grand.

Blown04GT

No, it's not a GT
Established Member
Your numbers are a little off for the twin screw setup.

Twin-screw - 4K for the 3.4
Fuel System - 1500-2K depending on what you go with
Motor - 4K

And that doesn't include any labor whatsoever and then you have to get the rest of the supporting parts and a tune.

What are your plans with the car? How much street use, how much track use? Any hp or 1/4 goals?

03cobrarocks

Established Member
The way I look at it is a 700 rwhp twin turbo cobra is just the tip of the iceburg for the turbo kit.... A 700 rwhp twin scerw car is starting to max out the blower before you have to get a bigger motor or spray.....

Also turbo is just sweet to be able to change the boost with a controller! With a blower you have to change the freaking pulley and belt and so on... I would think that would get real old real quick...

DOHC

Just Mod It
Established Member
Your numbers are a little off for the twin screw setup.

Twin-screw - 4K for the 3.4
Fuel System - 1500-2K depending on what you go with
Motor - 4K

And that doesn't include any labor whatsoever and then you have to get the rest of the supporting parts and a tune.

What are your plans with the car? How much street use, how much track use? Any hp or 1/4 goals?
700 to 800 hp 1/4 mile and road racing. can drop boost for road.

The way I look at it is a 700 rwhp twin turbo cobra is just the tip of the iceburg for the turbo kit.... A 700 rwhp twin scerw car is starting to max out the blower before you have to get a bigger motor or spray.....

Also turbo is just sweet to be able to change the boost with a controller! With a blower you have to change the freaking pulley and belt and so on... I would think that would get real old real quick...

Off topic again.
X2:rockon:

And again. PSI is just for talk. I think it was a 3.4 whip made over 700hp at 19psi. Headers, port and cams dropped 2-3 psi. If I remember he made 750+.
But even that is off the topic. Most Turbo cobra run in the high 600hp and the low 800hp, Right? The #'s just seem to point to the twin-screws with a reliable motor at that hp. What did you Turbo guy's pay the hit this HP?

Blown04GT

No, it's not a GT
Established Member
If you are trying to make a decision on just money alone, you may not be ready for this large of a step. You need to make your goals and go after them. Sure, one may cost more than the other, but that is not the only factor you should consider.

I wanted to make a lot of hp with a stock motor and the only way to do that was to go twin turbo. Less boost, less stress, more power. What worked for me may not for you.

And yeah, most stock motor turbo cobras make from 650-800 but there are also some with built motors making 1K easily........enter BLK 03. Again, sit down and make your goals, don't let only money influence your decision.

no1sirbutler

Established Member
one thing to remember that it takes more power to turn the twin-screw where the turbo is free hp. so the motor actually works easier to make the power w/ a turbo instead of a s/c. so even if you built the motor it might not hold up as well as the turbo'd stock motor. if you want a good 800+ i would go turbo. and if you built the bottom end and put a turbo on it, it would be way more reliable than that built s/c motor.

one thing to keep in mind is, making hp is never cheap either way will prolly cost you more than planned unless your one hell of a planner

DOHC

Just Mod It
Established Member
And yeah, most stock motor turbo cobras make from 650-800 but there are also some with built motors making 1K easily........enter BLK 03. Again, sit down and make your goals, don't let only money influence your decision.

Yes this is why my freinds have talked me out of going turbo. Unless you plan on going 1000hp its not worth the $. I have the money to go turbo and was one click away from buying a kit, but know I really think I could have a better setup at 800hp with a twin-screw Than a turbo for less $. Its even to much for the street.

-Wade-

Established Member
Yes this is why my freinds have talked me out of going turbo. Unless you plan on going 1000hp its not worth the $. I have the money to go turbo and was one click away from buying a kit, but know I really think I could have a better setup at 800hp with a twin-screw Than a turbo for less $. Its even to much for the street.

Manny at HPP made over 1000 rwhp, close to 1100 uncorrected with the HPP Twin turbo setup on a stock motor. Stock heads, cams, block, internals, etc. The cam covers had never been off. The twin screw is fun, but like others have said, whats the point of doing something if you dont do it right the first time?

There is nothing like the feeling of a turbo charged car. I'm sure your car is fun to drive now, and a few extra grand sounds like its ridiculous, but the fun you will have with the car after the turbo is priceless.

Reliability is NOT a factor with a turbo car given the correct kit, setup and tuning. The only reason I can come up with is people have so many horror stories about turbo companies themselves, not the end product. There are plenty of companies that have been out there for years and years without problems. I have seen just as many if not more problems out of twinscrews. Ive never seen turbos break the snout of a crank due to stress.

The bottom line is, it will always take power to make power with any belt driven device. The twin screws are less efficiant and will run out of steam way before the turbos. Not to mention putting less stress on your oh so important motor.

Look at the fastest NHRA, Fun Ford, NOPI, etc cars - All running turbos. (Some classes have their winners w/o turbos but they are the TINY minority)

A supercharger is a good route for some, just not me and/or most of the people that I know.

-W

03cobrarocks

Established Member
700 to 800 hp 1/4 mile and road racing. can drop boost for road.

Off topic again.

And again. PSI is just for talk. I think it was a 3.4 whip made over 700hp at 19psi. Headers, port and cams dropped 2-3 psi. If I remember he made 750+.
But even that is off the topic. Most Turbo cobra run in the high 600hp and the low 800hp, Right? The #'s just seem to point to the twin-screws with a reliable motor at that hp. What did you Turbo guy's pay the hit this HP?

How am I off topic? You just said you could drop boost for the road... Its a heck of a lot easier with a controller than have to change pulley and belt!

anyway it sounds like you have made up your mind anyway :poke:

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
Turbo all the way for me. I maxed out a ported Eaton, then went with the Whipple 2.3. Now I'm running the Hellion turbo kit and will never go back to twin screw again.

The power is much more linear and easier to put down on the street with the turbo. Also, I picked up close to 100 rwhp at the same boost level.

I also like being able to turn up the boost with my EBC, a lot easier than swapping pullies. A turbo is also easier on the motor because I can run lower boost to get the same hp as the twin screw setup and doesn't put that extra load on the crank like SC cars do. I love the turbo and only wish I had gone straight from the Eaton to the turbo setup and saved money and time on buying the Whipple.

It did take a while to get used to not having all that low end torque of the Twin screw, but now I have even more torque only at higher RPM's. That has only really effected me at stoplight launches but, I found that I can now launch at higher RPM's which puts me into boost pretty quick and I don't waste so much time spinning the tires or trying to feather the clutch to get out of the hole like with the twin screw setup.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread