Turbo really better?

Woodys2000

Run 9's or STFU
Established Member
I went Turbo because I had the Money to do it and I had the time for the car to be down during the build up while I was on deployment. I decided Turbo over SC as I had a KB on my Lightning and saw the clear advantages of going Turbo after building my Lightning to run 10.63 with no nitrous. Turbo bottom line will put down more HP but will cost more. Reason why not a lot of guys have them or do not have them really set up for them. I have a lot more then 10K in my setup but I started with a very close to stock car and had just about everything done to mine. AODE, T-76 Hellon kit, Fuel system, Solid rearend, Drag wheels............. the list is VERY long.

BLK_03

Established Member
Sounds to me like you are giving every reason to do the blower, and coming up with every reason NOT to do the turbo. You have your mind made up.

Who cares what we say, or what your friends say, do what YOU want.

You want to make 700 hp... do the blower. YES IT WILL BE LESS MONEY. Quite a bit less.

Want more than 700? Turbo. It will be more expensive, and is quite the endeavor to take on, but is the ultimate, and puts a huge mother f*ckin' smile on my face every time I hear those woosh woosh noises.

/thread bitches

lol

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
In the end for power levels of 700-1000rwhp its going to cost alot of money either way. Making that type of power either a twin screw or Turbo, you will need the same supporting mods. Motor, fuel, drivetrain etc. I look at it this way if you are going to spend ALL that money including the supporting mods. Lets say $30k when all said and done. Why not spend an extra $2-3k and go turbo? Slapping a big twinscrew on the car isnt going to be a walk in the park, make 750rwhp and call it a day. You will still deal with costly issues, belt problems and HEAT.

I think if you have the money to go turbo, do it. You would be foolish not to.

Sneeks2nv

Fully Built, Inc.
Established Member
definately turbo, i would say to at least have 20K to spend. it all depends on were your starting from, but i know a lot of us have spent 20K-30K and still havent touched the motor. goodluck in whatever route u choose but definately consider turbo.

danny03cobra

Established Member
in my H.O unless you are building a track car, i would stick with the twin screw. I have a hellion kit and had all kinds of problems with the car as a daily driver. HP kit had drainback issues, i am going back to a twin screw.i want to make 600-650rwhp daily driven and 6 speed, i bought the car because i enjoyed driving it around. Not just to take to the track.

just my opinion.

yelostang

Established Member
Don't forget about this when talking about the money part too. When you pull all that stuff off your car you have a complete kit to sell to someone so that will offset some of the cost. Your not gonna get much for an Eaton.

yelostang

Established Member
in my H.O unless you are building a track car, i would stick with the twin screw. I have a hellion kit and had all kinds of problems with the car as a daily driver. HP kit had drainback issues, i am going back to a twin screw.i want to make 600-650rwhp daily driven and 6 speed, i bought the car because i enjoyed driving it around. Not just to take to the track.

just my opinion.

Why do you have issues with your Hellion kit as a DD? Mines great, I get better MPG while driving around and I don't scrape on anything. BTW I'm running a 4" downpipe and have an electric cutout under the car :rolling:

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member

just my opinion.

Something is not right with your car either tune or component related with the issues you are having. My car is great as a daily driver with not one single issue with my Hellion kit.

danny03cobra

Established Member
i had 2 very good tuners tune the car and it did get better, but it still stalls when coming to a light. You have to hit the gas to keep it from stalling, when you need to be hitting the brake, every person i spoke to said their car did stall also.most switched to an auto and the problem is gone, but i want to keep my 6 speed.

danny03cobra

Established Member
Why do you have issues with your Hellion kit as a DD? Mines great, I get better MPG while driving around and I don't scrape on anything. BTW I'm running a 4" downpipe and have an electric cutout under the car :rolling:

mine didnt scrape, i had idle problems and stalling coming to a light. i was told this was normal and i waould have to re-learn how to drive the car. the bov blows the air right in front of the maff, and caused really ruff idle and to stall.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
mine didnt scrape, i had idle problems and stalling coming to a light. i was told this was normal and i waould have to re-learn how to drive the car. the bov blows the air right in front of the maff, and caused really ruff idle and to stall.

Have you tried adding shims or removing shims from the BOV? Have you tried clocking the MAF in a different position? I dont know what Im doing different but mine idles as smooth as stock and no stalling

danny03cobra

Established Member
Have you tried adding shims or removing shims from the BOV? Have you tried clocking the MAF in a different position? I dont know what Im doing different but mine idles as smooth as stock and no stalling

all six are in there now, clocked the maff dif also. my tuner added a lot of dash pot just to prevent from stalling.To be honwst with you i wasnt to happy with Hellions customer service, they never even called me back to try to help out.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
all six are in there now, clocked the maff dif also. my tuner added a lot of dash pot just to prevent from stalling.To be honwst with you i wasnt to happy with Hellions customer service, they never even called me back to try to help out.

I had the best luck with no shims in mine.

MisterChrome

Established Member
Wow, those turbo kits are expensive! What gives more power, twin turbos or 1 large turbo? I have heard that twins have less lag but singles produce more power. Would the IRS not be able to handle that much power, seing that lot of guys are swapping out for solid rears? Man...if I had the money for a turbo kit!

Blown04GT

No, it's not a GT
Established Member
Wow, those turbo kits are expensive! What gives more power, twin turbos or 1 large turbo? I have heard that twins have less lag but singles produce more power. Would the IRS not be able to handle that much power, seing that lot of guys are swapping out for solid rears? Man...if I had the money for a turbo kit!

Without specs on each situation, it's hard to say. The twins, in theory, will spool faster than a larger single. The gap between the sizes will have a lot to do with the spool characteristics. I have seen twin 57 cars make more than single t-76 cars but I have seen single 88 cars make more than twin 57s. Just depends.

IRS ftl when launching on any higher hp cobra. I ran out of money so I am going to have to deal with it for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread