turbo owners is it worth it to go turbo?

What is your opinion on turbo kits?

• Yes I would do it agian but it is a PITA

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • No its too much trouble I wish I had not done it

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • If you got the money and patience then do it

Votes: 21 52.5%
  • Just make a built motor, twin screw car that is more than enough power

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

03cobrarocks

Established Member
I just wanted to try and get a few opinions from some people with turbos like is it worth the extra money and effort over a 2.8kb or 3.4 whipple. It seems like there is soo much extra stuff needed to make a turbo car run at its potential boost controller, two step, better downpipe, custom exhaust etc etc.

With a 2.8, longtubes you can easily be in the mid to low 10s on the right setup so I am just wondering would you do it agian if you could go back in time?

Nazman

Established Member
I tried the Turbo thing and I was not happy with the end result.

Yes, it made some good power (740+ @ 18PSI) but trottle response was way to slow for my taste.

Combo was 284CI, 9:1CR, Cams, Sullivan, BBT76 w/.96 AR, 3" down pipe, WG to the atmoshpere.

So, sold everthing, went back NA/Nitrous....now building a 3.4W.

Naz

TRBO VNM

you don't have an option for me..lol

yes I would do it again and it WASN'T a PITA.

turbo is not for everyone.

the upgraded downpipe or exhaust, etc are not required. just something people are or want to do to try and get every bit out of the setup. it is the same thing as people now wanting larger plenums for their whipples and KB's. there are always things you can and want to do to any combo you go with. it just depends on if you can say no to modding.

I had the single hellion kit on my first comp orange and loved the car. I actually was to a point that I was completely satisfied and stopped modding for a while.

getting the most out of the car at the track isn't easy. there are things you need to do and learn how to launch a turbo car. it isn't as easy as the twin screw, nitrous or NA to launch.

LOVESBOOST

Established Member
Although I have not done a turbo'd car, I have participated in helping a very good friend make his own on a 98 NPI car, it was a pain, but the end result was just plain nasty.

Now I am not sure, but I think it may have been one of the fastest NPI cars in the country. With a stock untouched block on the 14psi tune and pump gas, on a built auto and BFG Drags the car went low mid 11's, Like 11.57 or something.

He used to have a P1SC, and with my Novi I would walk around him everytime, with the turbo I couldn't touch him.

Just my experience, and when I get some more money I will be going turbo!

SVTburnout

Banned
its almost finished but its been a long time and alot of $$. no way i would do it again, ive been kicking myself ever since i scrapped my 2.8

this better be worth it, start up should be this weekend

in response to youre question, I cant eally give one.

i wish i had kept my twin screw thothats for sure

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
I definitely love my turbo Cobra but it is definitely an expensive ordeal to go through. Although I have had my share of trouble with my car I still think it's worth it. A turbo Terminator is just savage.

BLK_03

Established Member
Totally worth it. No regrets. The ultimate IMO. Downside.... $$$... Lots of it.

If you want ET though, you'll either need a full standalone with 2 step, or an auto. I'm doing the auto thing currently.

I like it so much in fact, I will be purchasing a clean 93 black Cobra, swapping in a modular, and fabbing my own twin kit soon.

shhak

Established Member
Some say they're a PITA... I didn't really have much trouble with mine. They are more $$$, but I'd much rather have a turbo car than a TS car. Once you take a ride in a turbo car, the whole idea of the cost, trouble, etc... goes right out the window. Building my new setup as we speak...

solidsnak3

NOVA STOCK
Established Member
dont regret it. even with the small issues im having now, the turbo performs. i'd do it again only i would have researched better. luckily these forums exist so we can learn about other peoples experiences.

DoomsDay

Slayer of Gods...
Established Member
I've definately had my problems with mine. But i'd probably do it again on my next car, but i'd go with a prefabbed kit like a hellion or whoever is reputable for the model over custom kit. I just wanted a turbo larger then what was on the market at the time for mine.

03cobrarocks

Established Member
its almost finished but its been a long time and alot of $$. no way i would do it again, ive been kicking myself ever since i scrapped my 2.8

this better be worth it, start up should be this weekend

in response to youre question, I cant eally give one.

i wish i had kept my twin screw thothats for sure

you ever go to the track with your 2.8?

03cobrarocks

Established Member
Some say they're a PITA... I didn't really have much trouble with mine. They are more $$$, but I'd much rather have a turbo car than a TS car. Once you take a ride in a turbo car, the whole idea of the cost, trouble, etc... goes right out the window. Building my new setup as we speak...

yea I rode in mannys up at hpp when he was on a torco 770+ rwhp and it was BADASS! pulled like a freight train! I do not have the money right now as I am going to school but when school gets out I am wanting something big at least a kb 2.8 with longtubes, procharger or maybe turbo so im trying to get info now. :)

03cobrarocks

Established Member
Totally worth it. No regrets. The ultimate IMO. Downside.... $$$... Lots of it.

If you want ET though, you'll either need a full standalone with 2 step, or an auto. I'm doing the auto thing currently.

I like it so much in fact, I will be purchasing a clean 93 black Cobra, swapping in a modular, and fabbing my own twin kit soon.

This may sound noobish but whats a standalone? are you talking standalone full system... I feel dumb :bash:

carolinacat

...LOST
Established Member
I miss my old 2.2kb it was a blast to drive and the scream from it was great... And i could put pump gas in it...Ah only memories now.

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
I miss my old 2.2kb it was a blast to drive and the scream from it was great... And i could put pump gas in it...Ah only memories now.

Ever hear of turning down your boost? I run 15psi on 91 octane and make a lot more power than a KB 2.2 would on 91. The scream however, can't really help you there but I think I scare more pedestrians with my open wastegates then a KB would :)

03cobrarocks

Established Member

yea but **** man with your solid rear, turbo, and transmission you got to be hauling the mail! :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread