truth about the boss intake

Highway Star

Established Member
We will see.

Not to get of topic but what 1/4 mile times have you run with your setup? Should be low 11's on street tires and high 10's with drag radials correct?
Great Job on the NA HP #'s!

Have not got a quarter mile time on it yet. i have a Torsen t2r differential that does not like hard launches. i will get a time out of it. I would be satisfied with high 11's. Low 11's, I do not know, but thanks for the vote of confidence. My Michelin Super Sports grip as a god as street tire is gonna grip. As to shifting at 7500. First it is a tuning challenge just to get the engine to spin at 7500. Second I highly recommend A shifter and bracket to stabilize your shifts. I have shifted at 75-7600 no problems except 1st to second can be a litlle gamey and I usually make that shift at 71-7200. My car is more built for the track but it is plenty fast on the street. I make peak torque at 6750 rpm but torque and hp come on at 4000 and pull right to 7700 which is our tuning limit. Making horsepower at high rpms is fun. Some people on here talking knuckle dragger talk about torque down low. They should not kid themselves, Horsepower is what counts unless you are racing 10 feet. Being able to change gears at high rpms allows you to take advantage of momentum. Regardless of torque, a flywheel spinning at 7600 rpm prior to shift is carrying substantially more energy than a flywheel spinning at 6800. So far my clutch has handled it pretty well.

More info hear: Featured: Carlo Spiga’s 2011 Ford Mustang GT | Mustangs Daily

coyotestang

Established Member
i have the boss intake on my car and i feel no torque loss at all. and i can tell it pulls harder up top(no dyno numbers yet). but getting more out of every gear is gonna make you faster than someone thats not

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
your drag strip results don't prove anything. i went 12.3 at 117 with an xpipe, axle back, air filter, and tune...the rest of the car was 100% showroom stock. my car is a full weight 3.31 gear, stock tire car. No issues with traction in first second or third. Just because the car spins the tires doesn't mean the intake is making more power...it means the driver needs to lay off the throttle alittle bit.

there is still no proof out there that a boss intake car can out run a stock intake car at the drag strip. we probably will never see any back to back results either.

I only have exp with a buddy on the street with a 2012 filter tune exhaust 3:73 m6 we're races from 5-50 mph rolls and I slowly pull him every time ? Some guys see a torque loss some don't guess I got lucky "shrug"

oneboredguy

Established Member
I only have exp with a buddy on the street with a 2012 filter tune exhaust 3:73 m6 we're races from 5-50 mph rolls and I slowly pull him every time ? Some guys see a torque loss some don't guess I got lucky "shrug"

I have raced you in my stock 5.0. You beat be from a dig the first weekend i had the car. Idk about your buddy but you weren't pulling me. I'd like another go tonight if you're going to be out. I have the white 5.0 with glass top and brembos. I didn't know you had any mods until i saw the cobra wheels on the 5.0 in your sig and i put 2 and 2 together

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
I have raced you in my stock 5.0. You beat be from a dig the first weekend i had the car. Idk about your buddy but you weren't pulling me. I'd like another go tonight if you're going to be out. I have the white 5.0 with glass top and brembos. I didn't know you had any mods until i saw the cobra wheels on the 5.0 in your sig and i put 2 and 2 together

Oh! nice car man! never got a chance to talk to ya... could have just been me but, it seemed like I had 1 1/2 to 2 cars on ya and was steadily gaining who knows I shut her down going into that turn at 125 :eek::eek:... I said slow pull, obviously it wasn't like I decimate my buddy or you. However, I wouldn't say that I'm lacking low or mid range torque from swapping to the Boss Intake and do notice the gains up top. Your car 3:73 ?

oneboredguy

Established Member
Oh! nice car man! never got a chance to talk to ya... could have just been me but, it seemed like I had 1 1/2 to 2 cars on ya and was steadily gaining who knows I shut her down going into that turn at 125 :eek::eek:... I said slow pull, obviously it wasn't like I decimate my buddy or you. However, I wouldn't say that I'm lacking low or mid range torque from swapping to the Boss Intake and do notice the gains up top. Your car 3:73 ?

Yeah has 3.73s. We will have to get together sometime again. I yelled with shaun@aed just to see what mods respond well to his tunes since he will be tuning my car here soon. Just need a couple items too allow the manual to shift up high then its game on.

PS. Shaun said that without a doubt a boss intake with the right set up would be faster.

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
Yeah has 3.73s. We will have to get together sometime again. I yelled with shaun@aed just to see what mods respond well to his tunes since he will be tuning my car here soon. Just need a couple items too allow the manual to shift up high then its game on.

PS. Shaun said that without a doubt a boss intake with the right set up would be faster.

Yeah man! I should have went through him to begin with... I have a 93 octane BAMA tune now it's decent but he puts up great numbers. We'll bump into each other again... I need to get UCA and LCA's getting some bad hop on launch now that I went to DR's love the white man! Had a white gen 1 for 10 years wanted something different. FYI if you hadn't read JLT CAI has a ton of surge (only effects mine till it warms up) love the way it looks but yeah think he pushes airaid have you raced Or know Davis Green fox Saleen rear wing ?

Ultrakla$$ic

WhoFlungPoo
Established Member
STB-1.gif

blah..blah....blah......:nonono: Love mine!

Last edited:

White608

Go faster
Established Member
I'll have one in the next couple of weeks and will do a before and after track test, shifting at 7k..

ford20

Established Member
The Boss intake is good if you are looking for a better underhood appearance then the stock, and personally I like the way it looks and would do it in a heartbeat. Where the Boss intake really shines is in the high RPMs which for drag racing is where you want to be. You want to maximize your time in the upper RPM so that when you shift gears you are in your sweet spot which is where the stock intake fails. It starts to loose its power around 5000 RPM and continues you drop as the RPMs rise. So if you shift at 7000 RPM on the stock manifold (assuming you adjust your shift point with a tuner) you are in a lower power range then if you had the Boss intake. The Boss intakes as stated before continues to make power where the stock one doesn't so you can stay in the power band longer with more power, shift higher and remain in your sweet spot.

Is it worth it for a street car? Some people say yes, some people say no. For me it is but I can't wait for the CJ intake to come out with reports of 25HP over the Boss manifold it certainly sounds interesting.

I happen to have the Boss intake with an AED tune and its quite nice.. I keep melting tires down through first and second. Be careful though - i noticed after a few accidental runs to 7600 rpm that the clutch pedal likes to act up, kinda stick to the floor. My impression of the intake is positive in that first gear is actually somewhat useful with a 3.73 gear. shifting at 6900 rpm in first was tough w/ the factory intake.

One time it actually stuck and then unstuck at a traffic light and i almost rear ended the car in front.

i also have headers and OR/X so i dont notice that its down on torque.

The cobra jet intake has better flow near the injector bungs and a bigger throttle opening, i think its just like the boss apart from that.
Take off the assist spring or get a GT500 Clutch assembly. What happens is the spring is to strong to allow the clutch pedal to return to then engaged position. If you remove the spring the clutch pedal will return without much trouble.
STB-1.gif

blah..blah....blah......:nonono: Love mine!

Like you are ever going to use it :poke:

oneboredguy

Established Member
So what all has to be done with the clutch assembly to take advantage of all those extra rpm's you turn with the boss? Different break fluid, tranny fluid. Then what? Seems like if you have the right set up the boss helps a lot over stock.

ford20

Established Member
So what all has to be done with the clutch assembly to take advantage of all those extra rpm's you turn with the boss? Different break fluid, tranny fluid. Then what? Seems like if you have the right set up the boss helps a lot over stock.

If you are talking about what I think you are talking about, this is all you have to do. Also here is the thread I got that information from. IF thats not what you were talking about, my bad.

WWW.S197FORUM.COM

For those that have been following the progress of our car you know that we experienced a similar issue that others have seen where the clutch pedal sticks to the floor after high rpm shifts. We only experienced this once the stock rev limiter was raised and we started shifting the car at 7000+rpm's. What happened was during the 1-2 as we as the 2nd-3rd gear shift the clutch pedal seemed to want to stay at the floor preventing the clutch from re-engaging. Definitely not a good thing for drag racing. Shifting the car itself wasn't the issue as the transmission is smooth as can be and the shifter is really easy to use but again it was the issue of the clutch pedal sticking to the floor keeping the clutch from re-engaging.

After speaking to a few others that had experienced the same thing we finally started hearing what the issue was. Supposedly it was the clutch box pedal assembly. A TSB to this date has not been made for it but there was a control number issued. The word was that the clutch box pedal assembly needed to be replaced with one from a GT500. We obtained the part number from our friends at Lamotta Performance (Thanks Jake!!) and ordered one up.

As we waited for the assembly to show up we put a Mcleod RXT twin disc clutch kit in the car compliments of our good friends at Mcleod. After the install which went great the clutch pedal seemed even lighter than stock. However I believe that the installation of the clutch made it easier to feel the problem in the stock clutch pedal assembly. The best way to describe it was that the clutch pedal just felt lazy coming back off the floor. It was weird though as it seemed there was a point just a few inches off the floor that it was binding and then it would finally spring back. I knew this wasn't the clutch and it really became apparent that there was definitely an issue with the pedal assembly. At this point we had not received the replacement pedal assembly so I started thinking of another fix. If we were to use a pedal stop to prevent the pedal from passing the point to where it was binding when pressed in it would eliminate the bind in the pedal when the clutch was depressed. Just as we were speaking about this in the office guess what? The new clutch pedal assembly arrived.

So we had Derek go right to work on the car and pulled the stock pedal assembly out to compare to the one off of the GT500. Here's a few pictures with a few notes which should hopefully help others to see what's going on.

GT500 assembly is on the Left. Stock 2011 GT assembly is on the right.
photo2.jpg

Stock 2011 GT assembly- Take a look at the spring mechanism. It's a completely new design than the GT500 has. The rebound spring is separate from the main pivot shaft that the clutch and brake pedal work off of.
photo4.jpg

Stock GT500 assembly-Now take a close look at the way the spring is used on main shaft in this assembly where both the clutch and brake pedals pivot on. Even outside of the car when you press in the clutch pedal on the GT500 assembly the clutch is smooth all the way in and released smooth all the way out. What happens on the 2011 GT assembly is after it's pressed in and starts being released you can feel a bind in the pedal as it tries to pivot with the new spring setup. It seems to be the spring itself but also how it pivots in it's new location. After installing the new GT500 assembly in the car you can press the clutch in and let go of it and it springs right back. There's no binding at all and doesn't feel lazy to come back off of the floor. At this point we're pretty confident that the pedal issue is fixed. The clutch pedal now feels just as smooth as it did on our 2010 GT500 which felt awesome. We'll be taking the car to the track on Friday just to be sure but from what we can see it looks like the 2011 clutch box pedal assembly has some issues that definitely caused problems us shifting in the higher rpm's.

photo1.jpg

Hope that helps some of the guys out there that experienced the same thing we did.

Jared

Need4Speed03

Established Member
I'll have one in the next couple of weeks and will do a before and after track test, shifting at 7k..

If you shift at 7k with the Boss intake you will be slower (or best case you wont gain anything)! Gotta rev it to 7500 min!

I just put a BOSS intake on my car...cant wait ot get back to the track, shifting at 7500!

Last edited:

White608

Go faster
Established Member
If you shift at 7k with the Boss intake you will be slower (or best case you wont gain anything)! Gotta rev it to 7500 min!

I just put a BOSS intake on my car...cant wait ot get back to the track, shifting at 7500!

I want to start there and see what gains there are going up.

david nagel

Established Member
so with a new throttle body and cai help out with the torque loss? i just drive mine when my wife doesnt take it to work

Users who are viewing this thread