truth about the boss intake

oneboredguy

Established Member
I have searched through this forum and others researching about this intake and it seems that half the people love it and half hate it. I am wanting to get the intake and o/r x and get it tuned by aed. Dies anybody have first hand experience with the intake and what combo they have to take advantage of it? Is getting the stock intake ported a viable alternative to getting the boss? Id like some first hand info before I decide to purchase our not to purchase. Thanks everybody.

war_machine92

Banned
just wait and get the new cobra jet NA intake manifold, it supposively doesnt have the whole torque cut up top like the boss manifold

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I have searched through this forum and others researching about this intake and it seems that half the people love it and half hate it. I am wanting to get the intake and o/r x and get it tuned by aed. Dies anybody have first hand experience with the intake and what combo they have to take advantage of it? Is getting the stock intake ported a viable alternative to getting the boss? Id like some first hand info before I decide to purchase our not to purchase. Thanks everybody.

Since the Boss intake allows you to up the RPMs to almost 8k, I don't think a ported stock manifold will net you close to the same result.

You may gain a little bit more top end with the better air flow, but I don't think it will match the power significance of the Boss up top.

Just MHO.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Since the Boss intake allows you to up the RPMs to almost 8k, I don't think a ported stock manifold will net you close to the same result.

You may gain a little bit more top end with the better air flow, but I don't think it will match the power significance of the Boss up top.

Just MHO.

The boss doesnt make any power it just keeps you in the power band longer

KalEl370

Established Member
just wait and get the new cobra jet NA intake manifold, it supposively doesnt have the whole torque cut up top like the boss manifold

I don't know if a lot of people will go the cobra jet intake route, it's much more expensive than the Boss intake. You have to run a different TB with the Cobra Jet and the intake plus TB alone will cost you close to $1500. I think other changes have to be made as well because info on the Cobra jet intake is that peak hp is made at 7750rpms. You can find the Boss intake for around $400 and most people shift around 7500.

hurikane85

Established Member
The boss intake was developed to really only cater to the "top end" for road racing. Having the power on top really helps with momentum that you want to carry in that type of racing. Kinda like a Yz125 two stroke lol gotta keep her wound up! Yet, alot of people think more horsepower means faster quarter mile times. I wan't a boss intake, yet I bought the car for open track events. It all depends on what you want and what your going to do. If its just drag racing your into wait till a new intake comes out that caters to torque numbers too.

alex12gt

Established Member
I didnt notice a huge difference with mine but it does look good on the engine if you decide to buy one deff go used

ViciousJay

Established Member
It may not make much net power, but keeping you in the powerband longer is still more power to me. That's more power you had at a certain RPM than you did before. Right?

i guess, when i think a mod makes power is when it peaks above its previous rated power

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I don't know if a lot of people will go the cobra jet intake route, it's much more expensive than the Boss intake. You have to run a different TB with the Cobra Jet and the intake plus TB alone will cost you close to $1500. I think other changes have to be made as well because info on the Cobra jet intake is that peak hp is made at 7750rpms. You can find the Boss intake for around $400 and most people shift around 7500.

Ford Racing Cobra Jet 62.5mm Dual Blade Billet Throttle Body

Ford Racing Mustang Cobra Jet Intake Manifold (11-13) M-9424-M50CJ at LRS - Free Shipping!

$680 for the cobra jet throttle body and $850 for the manifold. Plus you need an intake tube. Thats more than the MMR sheetmetal intake manifold. Is it worth it? who knows. The boss manifold, in my opinion, is only good with boost. But when you take the engine to 7500+ rpms with boost, i would want stiffer valve springs.

To the OP, many people have had a lot of success with shaun's tune and the boss manifold on NA motors. If it were me, id skip the boss manifold (because it's a lot more expensive now) and just get an Offroad X or H and an AED tune.

KalEl370

Established Member
Ford Racing Cobra Jet 62.5mm Dual Blade Billet Throttle Body

Ford Racing Mustang Cobra Jet Intake Manifold (11-13) M-9424-M50CJ at LRS - Free Shipping!

$680 for the cobra jet throttle body and $850 for the manifold. Plus you need an intake tube. Thats more than the MMR sheetmetal intake manifold. Is it worth it? who knows. The boss manifold, in my opinion, is only good with boost. But when you take the engine to 7500+ rpms with boost, i would want stiffer valve springs.

To the OP, many people have had a lot of success with shaun's tune and the
boss manifold on NA motors. If it were me, id skip the boss manifold (because it's a lot more expensive now) and just get an Offroad X or H and an AED tune.
Actually Jeg's still has the Boss intake for $409.

Impact 5.0

Established Member
I've gone over this time and time deciding if I want to get it or not... Pay full price now only to loose money down the road when its time for a Whipple... Most people I have talked to who picked one up say 75% of the reason behind it is it looks better when the hood is open.

chao5.0

Established Member
I've gone over this time and time deciding if I want to get it or not... Pay full price now only to loose money down the road when its time for a Whipple... Most people I have talked to who picked one up say 75% of the reason behind it is it looks better when the hood is open.

if your going with a Whipple then why waste the money? i could see if you were going with a centri or turbo but not a Whipple or KB.

since i don't do a lot of drag racing anymore i do mostly roll racing with friends the BOSS would benefit me but i still would only do it if i was going with boost or perhaps N2O.

Impact 5.0

Established Member
if your going with a Whipple then why waste the money? i could see if you were going with a centri or turbo but not a Whipple or KB.
Originally I wanted it because looked better with the hood up but yea what you said... lol

curemystangitis

Professional Amateur
Established Member
I just ordered this set up and I'm waiting to schedule the install and tune from AED for when the group drive shaft purchase is complete. I think it's worth it as an appearance mod alone. I see the potential power gains as being minimal but if tou're willing to wait a month I can report back with actual numbers.

oneboredguy

Established Member
I'm more of a drag racer but once I get now miles on my motor and tranny i'm going to spray it. Nitrous is all torque so would that work better with the boss? I didnt know anything about the cobra jet intake. sounds expensive. Seems like there are other cheaper mods that would benefit a na 5.0 more than the boss intake

twistedneck

Established Member
I happen to have the Boss intake with an AED tune and its quite nice.. I keep melting tires down through first and second. Be careful though - i noticed after a few accidental runs to 7600 rpm that the clutch pedal likes to act up, kinda stick to the floor. My impression of the intake is positive in that first gear is actually somewhat useful with a 3.73 gear. shifting at 6900 rpm in first was tough w/ the factory intake.

One time it actually stuck and then unstuck at a traffic light and i almost rear ended the car in front.

i also have headers and OR/X so i dont notice that its down on torque.

The cobra jet intake has better flow near the injector bungs and a bigger throttle opening, i think its just like the boss apart from that.

Last edited:

oneboredguy

Established Member
I happen to have the Boss intake with an AED tune and its quite nice.. I keep melting tires down through first and second. Be careful though - i noticed after a few accidental runs to 7600 rpm that the clutch pedal likes to act up, kinda stick to the floor. My impression of the intake is positive in that first gear is actually somewhat useful with a 3.73 gear. shifting at 6900 rpm in first was tough w/ the factory intake.

One time it actually stuck and then unstuck at a traffic light and i almost rear ended the car in front.

i also have headers and OR/X so i dont notice that its down on torque.

The cobra jet intake has better flow near the injector bungs and a bigger throttle opening, i think its just like the boss apart from that.

Do you have a dyno comparison and/or track times from before and after. I'm more interested in performance then just the numbers.

twistedneck

Established Member
Do you have a dyno comparison and/or track times from before and after. I'm more interested in performance then just the numbers.

No, there are a lot of Boss dyno curves. all show torque loss below 5000.. some show torque loss until 6000 - btw, thats HP loss too. In my car, what i do notice is a clear power band that really hits at 5000 and just gets stronger until i lose my nerve.

previously, i noticed the band started at 4000 and held strong to 6500.

you will notice the loss in low / mid range torque. so if its more head snapping torque you want forget the boss.

Users who are viewing this thread