truth about the boss intake

Highway Star

Established Member
The Boss intake is Good. very good.

:nonono: cant fix stupid...

Like others and myself have said the stock intake is better below ~6,800k rpm which is where a street car lives. This is on a non FI car of coarse. Both intakes have very distinct uses, which is why its on the boss to begin with since it is ment to be a track car (not a dragstrip).

The Boss is 5 tenths of a second faster in the quarter mile and the only performance impacting difference between the two vehicles is two exhaust cams and the intake. You do not need Gobs of Torque to have a good quarter mile time. Ferrari's turn great quarter mile times and they have little torque in comparison. A Ferrari California with similar horsepower to our modded vehicles has less torque, weighs more and turns an 11.7. It is not all traction control. 90% of a Quarter mile run is done above 6000 rpm That's where you need your torque. The Boss increases your horsepower and moves your torque curve to the right. It picks up torque and horsepowere starting at 4500 rpm all the way to redline. This stuff about there is only more horsepower at 6500 rpm is nonsense. While it is maybe not the best mod for an automatic with 3.31's but definitely an improvement on a manual with 3.73's. I have a fully modded naturally aspirated build with ported heads and comp cams so I take full advantage of the manifolds capabiliities but I have seen others with only the manifold and a tune and they do quite well and better than stock, with very little noticeable torque loss down low.

See: 2011 Mustang GT Load Bearing Dyno Run 520 RWHP 7700RPM - YouTube

2011 Mustang GT Dyno Print Out 520 RWHP - YouTube

86merc

Established Member
The original post was about a street car with a off road x-pipe and tune asking about the benefits of just adding a boss intake. Why do you guys keep pushing info about ported heads, aftermarket cam shafts and so on? That is not what the original post was asking about.

Last edited:

Sof Top

boost junkie!
Established Member
The Boss is 5 tenths of a second faster in the quarter mile and the only performance impacting difference between the two vehicles is two exhaust cams and the intake. You do not need Gobs of Torque to have a good quarter mile time. Ferrari's turn great quarter mile times and they have little torque in comparison. A Ferrari California with similar horsepower to our modded vehicles has less torque, weighs more and turns an 11.7. It is not all traction control. 90% of a Quarter mile run is done above 6000 rpm That's where you need your torque. The Boss increases your horsepower and moves your torque curve to the right. It picks up torque and horsepowere starting at 4500 rpm all the way to redline. This stuff about there is only more horsepower at 6500 rpm is nonsense. While it is maybe not the best mod for an automatic with 3.31's but definitely an improvement on a manual with 3.73's. I have a fully modded naturally aspirated build with ported heads and comp cams so I take full advantage of the manifolds capabiliities but I have seen others with only the manifold and a tune and they do quite well and better than stock, with very little noticeable torque loss down low.

WOW! 520rwhp NA...:rockon::rockon:

mhyjek

Established Member

Not to get of topic but what 1/4 mile times have you run with your setup? Should be low 11's on street tires and high 10's with drag radials correct?
Great Job on the NA HP #'s!

wbt

Banned
I have run the Boss intake on both auto and manual trans cars. Those saying it doesn't work, don't have the right combination and shift points. I have seen many people purchase it and pull it off the car claiming they ran worse times at the track. The reason for this is they are not shifting the car at the right RPM. The Boss intake does work and will result in better 1/4 mile times period.

For my auto car.....

Before Boss intake:
[youtube_browser]LdfMCkxmt9c[/youtube_browser]

After Boss intake:
[youtube_browser]fdM2fQ4UKvU[/youtube_browser]

The DA difference between the runs was:

11.31 - 1,208'; corrected time - 11.16@121
11.00 - 1,425'; corrected time - 10.82@126

It is a worthwhile mod however you MUST shift the car between 7,600 and 7,800 RPM and launch the car at 6K+ on the manual trans cars. For the auto, a converter will absolutely help the car on launch and I would consider it a supporting mod to running the Boss intake.

Both the quickest/fastest N/A stock long block manual and auto cars run the Boss intake.

Bolt-on 2011-2013 Mustang GT 5.0 Drag Racing ET List

86merc

Established Member
What worries me the most about trying a Boss intake is the issues people seem to have shifting the stock clutch over 7,000 rpm. The engine needs to be reved to take advantage of any gains the intake offers. Even Ford said they had clutch issues when testing the Roadrunner in development. So besides a intake and tune the clutch may also need to be replaced to shift that high with out issue. Adding to the expense. Parts wear out so it isn't the end of the world. But some thing to think about for manual trans owners.

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member

The Boss has the 302R cylinder heads not just cams and the intake manifold.

BPatterson

Established Member
I run the Boss on a M6 3.31 car, and will agree the car needs more gear, obviously, and a better clutch. The stock clutch does not like 7K+ rpm's.

wbt

Banned
I run the Boss on a M6 3.31 car, and will agree the car needs more gear, obviously, and a better clutch. The stock clutch does not like 7K+ rpm's.

BPatterson has my Ram dual disk with alum. flywheel from my M6 car unless he sold it. ;)

I agree on the M6 the stock clutch needs to be replaced. It is a supporting mod to being successful with the Boss intake. :beer:

BPatterson

Established Member
BPatterson has my Ram dual disk with alum. flywheel from my M6 car unless he sold it. ;)

I agree on the M6 the stock clutch needs to be replaced. It is a supporting mod to being successful with the Boss intake. :beer:

Unfortunately, I did sell it. :(

86merc

Established Member
I thought the clutch was ok. Just needed different fluid so it won't boil?

Nope. That might help but not a solution for 7,500+ rpm shift points.

I read that during the development of the Boss engine they had issues with the coyote clutch pressure plate coming loose. They ended up with a different clutch set up and flywheel. Because they added two more bolts to hold the pressure plate to the flywheel. As well as other changes. So a Boss clutch set up or an aftermarket clutch would be needed to operate correctly at those rpm.

rubicon1979

Established Member
So it's worth what maybe .1 or .2 in a quarter on the same car same tuner? That wouldn't be bad for $400 or so but when you factor in a clutch and transmission woes shifting that high it doesn't seem worth it to me.

wbt

Banned
So it's worth what maybe .1 or .2 in a quarter on the same car same tuner? That wouldn't be bad for $400 or so but when you factor in a clutch and transmission woes shifting that high it doesn't seem worth it to me.

Did you bother reading the thread? :shrug:

hand-filer

Established Member
I spend around 99.29% of the time below 6,500 rpm. That means I would be disapointed with a Boss manifold set-up on my car 99.29% of the time.

rubicon1979

Established Member
Did you bother reading the thread? :shrug:

Yea and you gained .3 but there are a lot of others who didnt. For every person who gained there is another who didnt. I believe overall its about a wash in performance gain but it does look cool. My tuner said he would ONLY recommend the boss intake if track use was my primary concern for the car otherwise he didnt feel the trade off was worth it.

I am no expert! I wanted to hear otherwise since it looks cool and they're always for sale used for around $300 or so now.

If I was going all out N/A and wanted every last tenth in the quarter I would buy one but I have to be honest, mine is a street car so I'm gonna save my money and have a faster car for how I drive it 99.29 % of the time lol.

Street Performance > Strip Performance for me anyway

wbt

Banned
Yea and you gained .3 but there are a lot of others who didnt. For every person who gained there is another who didnt. I believe overall its about a wash in performance gain but it does look cool. My tuner said he would ONLY recommend the boss intake if track use was my primary concern for the car otherwise he didnt feel the trade off was worth it.

I am no expert! I wanted to hear otherwise since it looks cool and they're always for sale used for around $300 or so now.

If I was going all out N/A and wanted every last tenth in the quarter I would buy one but I have to be honest, mine is a street car so I'm gonna save my money and have a faster car for how I drive it 99.29 % of the time lol.

Street Performance > Strip Performance for me anyway

I agree with your tuner and also agree it is probably not the best mod for most cars that spend little time at the track.

I have always preached that it is not a part for everyone. To see the gains, you have to be willing to push the car meaning the supporting mods to do it need to be in place.

The new CJ intake takes it to another extreme regarding supporting mods. Great for the small N/A crowd seeking every possible gain however it is not meant for the average owner at all. We are talking cams, heads, throttle body, intake, etc.... It is less expensive to just buy a nitrous or FI setup.

RMoore92

Established Member
I'm more of a drag racer but once I get now miles on my motor and tranny i'm going to spray it. Nitrous is all torque so would that work better with the boss? I didnt know anything about the cobra jet intake. sounds expensive. Seems like there are other cheaper mods that would benefit a na 5.0 more than the boss intake

Just put a torque converter in your car and you'll jump over the low torque area to where the boss makes power :)

Users who are viewing this thread