truth about the boss intake

ALLKHEINZ

Established Member
I had a boss intake on my 2011 auto and took it off a few days later...hated the tq loss down low and founf that trading low end tq was not worth a 30hp gain above 6800 rpm...prolly great for the higher revving boss and road racing but i felt the loss of low end immediately and the hp top end gain wasnt enough to prevent my car from losing 2 tenths off my best e.t.......might be helpfull with forced induction but my car worked best with stock intake...perhaps porting the stock intake might give a good middle ground between the stock and boss intakes....Matt D of Dasilvas has the boss intake on his car and recently told me that adding the accufab tbody gave him his low end tq loss back which i found interesting....hes run 10.80's N/A in his coyote powered 05 mustang so the tbody and boss intake combo may be the trick...

oneboredguy

Established Member
No, there are a lot of Boss dyno curves. all show torque loss below 5000.. some show torque loss until 6000 - btw, thats HP loss too. In my car, what i do notice is a clear power band that really hits at 5000 and just gets stronger until i lose my nerve.

previously, i noticed the band started at 4000 and held strong to 6500.

you will notice the loss in low / mid range torque. so if its more head snapping torque you want forget the boss.

Seat of the pants don't matter to me. All about actual performance numbers here. 3.73s should help some I would think.

ryan.garcia2733

Established Member
I have boss manifold and 3.73s feels great actually faster with manifold proven, at least my car. I feel barely any loss in torque. With stock manifold definitely feels faster but it's not. With stock manifold all I do is spin every where and with the boss mani I can actually hook up real nice. I have jlt boss manifold and o/r xpipe and made 434rwhp and 372 rwtq Sae numbers.

oneboredguy

Established Member
I had a boss intake on my 2011 auto and took it off a few days later...hated the tq loss down low and founf that trading low end tq was not worth a 30hp gain above 6800 rpm...prolly great for the higher revving boss and road racing but i felt the loss of low end immediately and the hp top end gain wasnt enough to prevent my car from losing 2 tenths off my best e.t.......might be helpfull with forced induction but my car worked best with stock intake...perhaps porting the stock intake might give a good middle ground between the stock and boss intakes....Matt D of Dasilvas has the boss intake on his car and recently told me that adding the accufab tbody gave him his low end tq loss back which i found interesting....hes run 10.80's N/A in his coyote powered 05 mustang so the tbody and boss intake combo may be the trick...
This is the first I have heard about this. That throttle body is 500 bucks im sure. That seems like a lot of money that you could put somewhere else on the car and get more bang for the buck. I am a manual so I could possibly use the high end power better than an auto without a stall.

I have boss manifold and 3.73s feels great actually faster with manifold proven, at least my car. I feel barely any loss in torque. With stock manifold definitely feels faster but it's not. With stock manifold all I do is spin every where and with the boss mani I can actually hook up real nice. I have jlt boss manifold and o/r xpipe and made 434rwhp and 372 rwtq Sae numbers.
Do you have proof that the stock intake isnt faster? It sounds like if you have a drag radial or bias ply tire on the back that the stock would be faster since you wouldnt spin. the HP is nice with the boss intake though.

ViciousJay

Established Member
FAIL above^^^ The Boss manifold makes GOOD power you just need a tuner that knows what there doing:coolman:

WRONG! i had the best tuner out there and made like 5 hp if that, all it did was it kept me in the RPMS longer! sorry son but you just sailed off on the fail boat

Last edited:

FIFTY

Established Member
WRONG! i had the best tuner out there and made like 5 hp if that, all it did was it kept me in the RPMS longer! sorry son but you just sailed off on the fail boat

We have same tuner LOL, trust...it's more than 5...pm'd

86merc

Established Member

He posted that last year on the S197 forum. Never updated the thread as to what the car ran at the track after the throttle body. Dynos are not real world. If Matt could show improvements at the track with just that change it would be appreciated. Many people have revived that thread since it was started by Matt. But Matt never posted any track results.

The 'butt meter' is the most inaccurate way to judge a cars performance. Unless performance is vastly changed in one direction or another.

If you can't spin the tires now I would really think that means you are way down on torque. Track results would be a better judge of what is going on. Most of the time when I read people talking about the Boss intake and drag racing times they are not positive. To the point where people say they took them off the car and went back to the stock intake. Which sucks because it is the only cost effective intake at this time.

On the street and at the drag strip I like average power. Torque is what gets a car going from a stand still. And most of your ET is made up in the first part of the track. So on the street and drag strip I would prefer to keep the torque instead of trading it for less power and higher rpm capability.

Maybe some people will post up some real world data showing gains or losses they have seen. After all who doesn't love to learn? :beer:

twistedneck

Established Member
Im pretty sure all the fastest coyote guys use boss intake.. or some similar short runner setup.

Look at f1 or nascar or any race series. Unless its restricted they use a short runner design for throttle response and rpm freedom.

Its nice we can get away with using an f150 truck optimized intake and still hit 6500 rpm but ill take heavy breathin 7500 rpm any day and rpm equals hp cube for cube.

ViciousJay

Established Member

Im pretty sure all the fastest coyote guys use boss intake.. or some similar short runner setup.

Look at f1 or nascar or any race series. Unless its restricted they use a short runner design for throttle response and rpm freedom.

Its nice we can get away with using an f150 truck optimized intake and still hit 6500 rpm but ill take heavy breathin 7500 rpm any day and rpm equals hp cube for cube.
Shaun doesn't

86merc

Established Member

F1? NASCAR? Dude, we are talking street cars here. That stuff is something TOTALLY different than day to day driving and some drag racing. lol

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
I have the Boss 302 intake with 3:31's and on street tires 1st' and 2nd are all over the place, 3rd gets sideways 4th chirps. With Drag Radials on a poorly prepped track I couldn't cut any better than 2.1/2.2 60's due to spin. ran a 12.9@113 with a 3000 DA While Bolting on a Nitrous Kit isn't all that much more in terms of HP/$ the Boss 302 intake is awesome in my opinion. a 12.4 corrected ET with a 2.2 60ft is pretty rockin', couldn't be happier, Would love to get some True Slicks and Skinny's for a few runs.

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
I have the Boss 302 intake with 3:31's and on street tires 1st' and 2nd are all over the place, 3rd gets sideways 4th chirps. With Drag Radials on a poorly prepped track I couldn't cut any better than 2.1/2.2 60's due to spin. ran a 12.9@113 with a 3000 DA While Bolting on a Nitrous Kit isn't all that much more in terms of HP/$ the Boss 302 intake is awesome in my opinion. a 12.4 corrected ET with a 2.2 60ft is pretty rockin', couldn't be happier, Would love to get some True Slicks and Skinny's for a few runs.
your drag strip results don't prove anything. i went 12.3 at 117 with an xpipe, axle back, air filter, and tune...the rest of the car was 100% showroom stock. my car is a full weight 3.31 gear, stock tire car. No issues with traction in first second or third. Just because the car spins the tires doesn't mean the intake is making more power...it means the driver needs to lay off the throttle alittle bit.

there is still no proof out there that a boss intake car can out run a stock intake car at the drag strip. we probably will never see any back to back results either.

walked_u_hard

Established Member
For instance the car can make 10hp/tq less below 5,500rpm and then when the car actually makes up for that deficit (to be on par with the stock intake) it will feel like it is making crazy power... but really its just making up for what it lost in lower RPM's. And like the one guy said, it doesnt make power it changes the RPM at which it is applied.

Plenty of people have taken them off because you loose hp/tq through the curve, and you feel it when driving a lot on the street. The boss intake should only be used with a different cam setup on a GT motor or forced induction. period.

Last edited:

twistedneck

Established Member
In the latest MUSCLE MUSTANGS they have a very nice dyno comparison. Boss vs. not boss.

"But where the stock intake fell off, the power curve offered by the Boss kept climbing, right up to 7500 rpm"

This motor had comp cams NSR cams, JPC heads factory coyote everything but ported and cleaned up with slightly stronger valve springs.. for 30 cfm intake, 20 extra cfm exhaust.

factory intake was clear winner up to 6000 rpm.. HP and torque. example without ported heads.

6000 rpm -stock intake 488hp, boss 486
6300 rpm - stock 506 boss 511
6600 - stock 515 boss 526
6900 - stock NA - boss 534
7200 boss 539. boss has 4.5% more HP.

With ported heads the story is the same except the power difference is 545 stock vs 566 ported - boss up by 3.8% power.

on torque the boss is always down, at max vs max the boss is down by 4.8%. So we are trading that torque gain from the intake resonance of the F150 truck intake to gain the extra rpm and HP of the boss.. and thats all at only 7300. if your motor goes higher, the gains get better becuase its all about RPM when you have equal displacement and similar efficiency engines..

look at all new wicked NA motors, they all spin. ferrari 9000, lambo 8700, toyota 9000.. RPM is where its at!

Last edited:

GeorgeInNePa

Established Member
For instance the car can make 10hp/tq less below 5,500rpm and then when the car actually makes up for that deficit (to be on par with the stock intake) it will feel like it is making crazy power... but really its just making up for what it lost in lower RPM's. And like the one guy said, it doesnt make power it changes the RPM at which it is applied.

Plenty of people have taken them off because you loose hp/tq through the curve, and you feel it when driving a lot on the street. The boss intake should only be used with a different cam setup on a GT motor or forced induction. period.

And yet, others have had different experiences.

That kinda trumps your "period", eh?

twistedneck

Established Member

I agree, according to the data just posted above, the boss actually helped more with stock heads than ported heads. if you are looking to stay below 6500, use the factory intake.. if you want to exploit the built in high rpm capability of the stock GT coyote throw the boss on..

although the clutch does seem like the weak link - it was tuned for lower rpm. i'm not sure if the timing tensioners are still different on the boss I know they were in 2011. the alternator is different on the boss that's why I changed mine to free up some rpm. of course the rods and pistons in the coyote are lighter than boss and we get those nice piston jets. :)

fully floating wrist pins, beam polished / peened rods - cast or not, that used to be all race stuff.

edit.. it seems we are just discussing two ends of the spectrum. a car like the 458 Italia has four different intake runner resonances so its go a truck intake at low rpm and a short runner boss intake at high rpm, and its variable in between.. this is way to much $$ for ford (same thing with the titanium con rods.. :) )

"This explain why it needs a 4-stage resonance variable intake system to serve the whole rev range. The two intake plenums are interconnected by 3 pipes. By opening or closing the pneumatic valves inside those pipes, it can generate pressure waves at 4 different frequencies to help feeding the combustion chambers at different rev range. The result is broader torque delivery, of course." - Autozine

Last edited:

2012GTCS

Established Member
Im staying away from it because I dont want to spin my motor much over 7000 RPM, nevermind 7800, where the boss makes power until. The Coyotes arent built for that.

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
Need to spin it way past 7000 rpms and run a 4.10 gear to really make use of it IMO. Make a great road race setup.

walked_u_hard

Established Member

:nonono: cant fix stupid...

Like others and myself have said the stock intake is better below ~6,800k rpm which is where a street car lives. This is on a non FI car of coarse. Both intakes have very distinct uses, which is why its on the boss to begin with since it is ment to be a track car (not a dragstrip).

Users who are viewing this thread