Trinity 5.8 to live on in S550

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
Isn't the trinity motor a bored out 5.4?

If so why would it not fit with just a few modifications?

Seems foolish of ford to develope the strongest production v8 ever, throw it into 10k cars or so and then scrap the whole thing. Why get rid of a huge asset?

bpmurr

Established Member
The current 5.8 isn't going in the 2015 or any future Mustang. The next Mustang that can beat the GT500 in every way doesn't hit until at least the 2017 model year.

freakshow12

Established Member
As far as I am concerned, the war is over! Ford gave us the gun to take to the knife fight. The target was not the vette but we can play with them anyway. Zl1 is a joke( a good 5.0 takes care of that) the challenger, well. They can build the hellcat or whatever goofy name it's called. It won't hit the number anyway and it's a pig to boot. I am just glad I was able to get my badass ride! And the aftermarket is alive and well for us! I think 10000 of us are lucky and who cares what they build next. Each year from now on I believe will be harder to modify as technology gets better and warranties get tighter. We may get a better handling car but I doubt we will see a faster one for a good while

Last edited:

BMR Tech

I don't want to see the "Trinity" in the S550...

But, I would like to see the N/A version of the Trinity...with higher compression and slightly more aggressive camshafts.

The 5.4 based engine, especially the 2013/2014 engine.....has much more potential in N/A form than the 5.0 Coyote, unfortunately. Well...."affordable" potential, anyways..

TheOne2HotScott

Established Member
"Ford has many plans for ultra-high-performance Mustangs. The first will be a successor to the Shelby-branded GT500, and the company will continue to offer Ford’s “Trinity” supercharged 5.8-liter V-8 making 662 horses. Past the new-gen Shelby GT500, Ford has additional powertrain options for two more hi-po nameplates.

The first is a twin-turbocharged V-8, code-named “Voodoo,” which displaces between 5.0 and 5.5 liters and, most intriguingly, has a “flat-plane” or 180-degree crankshaft, as Ferrari has used in its V-8s since 1973. This configuration, also found in the late Lotus Esprit V-8, is akin to connecting two four-cylinder banks to a common crankshaft. Flat cranks theoretically improve power, throttle response, and the soundtrack at the expense of greater vibration. This EcoBoost V-8 will produce between 550 and 600 horses. It will power a Shelby GT350–branded model that eventually will take over from the GT500, as Ford is desperate to discontinue that car’s costly and thirsty Trinity."-Car and Driver

I fell out of my chair when I read this...everything I've read up until now said the Trinity wont fit. It doesn't matter to me if it's used or not in the new platform, but somewhere deep inside my subconscious this little voice is saying NO! End it with the 2013/2014 GT500.

Another paragraph in the car and Driver report says "we don't know what we are talking about"
"A new platform—code-named “S550”—will underpin this new Mustang, and through that architecture, Ford is expecting to shed some 200 pounds from the current car’s roughly 3500-pound curb weight."-Car and Driver

"current car’s roughly 3500-pound curb weight?" We know how much our GT500s weigh and it aint 3500 pds.

I just don't see the Trinity in the new platform...I do and can see the GT bumped up to over 420 h.p. NA, the much anticipated return of the SVT Cobra or use of the GT350 badge with a twin turbo punched out Coyote to 5.4-5.8 nearing 600 h.p. which at 300 or more pounds lighter than the current platform...stock to stock would be close in performance to the current GT500. And a Mach1 or such return with that punched out Coyote NA at around 500 h.p.

But hey! if they can fit the Trinity in the new platform, 300 or more pounds less in weight, independent rear, and add some decent rubber to the rims and call it whatever- Cobra, GT500, etc. THAT would be a good right hook and bruising to GM and depending on how the car looks may have my interest.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I would be a bit upset if it does happen. I bought my 14 so I could have it next to my 07. First and last...

Me too, but my dad's '67 and my '14 GT500 :rockon:
I have a generic plate but the last 4 digits are 6714, must be a sign :beer:
-J

Silver_Bullet

Established Member
Since when is Car&Driver ever right? They got 99% of the stuff wrong when they predicted the C7 Corvette. Why should this be any different?

662HP631TQ

Established Member
This reminds me of the whole Bush "Knowns and Unknowns" hahahahaha!
No one knows for sure, but there sure are a lot of people way closer to Ford than I on this website. We'll find out more I am sure early next year, and that isn't that far away right now!

F8L SN8K

Established Member
The 5.4 based engine, especially the 2013/2014 engine.....has much more potential in N/A form than the 5.0 Coyote, unfortunately. Well...."affordable" potential, anyways..

I disagree that 5.4 has more potential then the 5.0 coyote/road runner. I admit that because of the increased deck height the 5.4 architecture has a possibitly to have more displacement. The block design on the 4.6/5.4 also seems to be holding up better without separating linings when abused. You can pull the heads off while leaving the cams in place. The long stroke also helps in the torque department.

Outside of that the 5.0 holds an advantage. The block is cheaper($1600 vrs $3800). The block has better windage control. The crank is fully counterweighted and has straight drill oiling. The valve train is more stable and timing chains less of an issue. With the expensive(for Ford not us) TiVCT allows for more compression and more aggressive cams(lift and Duration). The cam positioning in the 5.0 has been optimized to allow better flow and velocity for the cylinder heads that outperform the GT/GT500/00R heads. All around the 5.0 is a more efficient design as it should be as it's an evolution of the old architecture.

I would compare the 5.0 to the 00R which had a great intake, rods, the most agressive cams (before the 5.0 arrived) and ok compression. But that is not a totally fair comparison looking at a 13 yr old car comparing it to a 2011-2014. Even though the argument would be the engine design differences which again should be an improvement.

I would like to see a tall deck Coyote to have the best of both worlds or the 6.2 :rockon:

Last edited:

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
How long might Ford wish to go with nothing more than a NA 5.0 in the stable?
Wouldn't surprise me if they found a way to use an existing proven motor to bridge that gap and stay on top in the HP wars.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
^^
No worries about that. There is some cool things in the pipeline right now. I've already started talking to the wife about our next Mustang purchase ;-)

dom418

Established Member
Who cares? I'm not sure why some are freaking out here. Did you not think the new s550 would be the greatest mustang ever? Its forward progress people and it will be better in every way.

And who cares if the new cobra even has 1000 hp when released. It takes nothing away from how awesome the 13/14 Shelby is and I don't believe it will impact values that much because it will still be the most powerful car of that platform. Just like the 93 and 03/04 Cobra, the 13/14 will be the one to get from that specific generation.

Ford will keep setting the bar higher and that's a great thing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread