Trinity 5.8 to live on in S550

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
I kept hearing it was gone as well, but this latest C&D reads differently. I take it with a grain of salt, because for every fact-based rumor, there are hundreds of speculative or just plain false claims, but at this late in the game, the picture should be coming clearer. That's what caught my attention about this C&D claim. I could see them carrying the Trinity over for a year or two with only U.S. availability until a suitable replacement (TT Coyote, er, Voodoo?) can be fully developed...

raustin0017

Established Member
Mixed feelings. On one side I want the Mustang to continue to be the leader in stock HP. On the other side---I want to own the highest rated HP Mustang Ford ever produced. No matter what happens....will never part with my 14.

reason4treason

Established Member
info in this current thread appears to indicate otherwise:

JDM Super Stock camshaft dyno results are in! (Multi-page thread 1 2 3)

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Not happening

I don't see it happening either, but there is some major potential in Coyote, especially with DI, ecoboost, tivct, etc, and I don't know what to make of this 'voodoo' craziness, but I'll trust SVT with it. :rockon:
-J
:beer:

jbs$

Established Member
There are both hight and width issues with putting a Trinity engine into the new designed Mustang. As much as I would like to see a 400 lb. lighter car with 662 HP, I don't think that it will happen.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
They're clearly putting this together from conflicted and piece-meal reporting. If info on this forum is correct Ford is only producing the Trinity to satisfy those orders from Saleen at this point and is likely eager to move production on to the next generation which will be more efficient.

Plus I don't see Ford leaving their cards on the table for so long for GM.

14GT500Robert

Established Member
Hi All,
This is interesting news about the 5.8, I heard a similar rumor that goes like this: The Dodge Challenger is getting the 6.2 Supercharged Hellcat for a 2 year run (15/16). The Supercharged ZL1 has two remaining years (15/16).ford is going to use the Supercharged 5.8 for 2 years (15/16) in the S550,
Then all new power options from the big three in 2017, with a new lighter Camaro and Barracuda and more eco-friendly power including ,10 speed autos and turbos.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Installing the 5.8 into the S550 definitely runs contrary to everything we've been "told" up until this point (ie, smaller engine bay won't allow the Trinity engine to fit, etc). Thinking it through a bit further, it would also mean continued use of the TR6060 transmission. If that were the case, I couldn't see Ford not using a carbon fiber driveshaft. Yet I highly suspect that the length of the shaft would have to change and quite possibly a change at the rear pinion flange as well. This would necessitate one hell of a robust IRS too.

This early into production, I honestly don't see it. That amount of power through the "new" IRS? I'm struggling to envision that happening in the first year. And as time passes, we move further and further away from the Trinity engine. The only saving grace is that the costs for the 5.8 would have been amortized with a longer production run, good for Ford but even better for the end consumer. But it simply doesn't seem to fit in with the weight loss program the car is supposedly going through.

Personally, I'd much rather see Ford get on with the program and finally release a direct injected, naturally aspirated Coyote motor for the GT. An Ecoboost version of that engine would easily surpass the power production we are currently witnessing with the Trinity engine. Yet Ford seems to always lag in terms of power until late in a given chassis' lifetime, almost until it is too late. One thing is for sure - Ford has done a heck of a job keeping a tight lid on the upcoming model for quite some time. Sooner or later the dam will burst and hopefully they do not disappoint.

dubbsfaris

Shelby SP Region Director
Established Member
Ford told us in public the 5.8 ends this year. It was told to us in the Niche tour by Cary, and again echoed by Jamal Hameedi that night at dinner.

But, it is always possible that Ford decided to do something else between then and now. We will see, but my money is on NO.

doctorv8

Established Member
Proof? I wouldnt put it past Ford to throw a curve ball in. I myself dont want to see it happen as I just picked up my '14

Only time will prove it definitively, but I have good friends at Ford/SVT who have indicated that the Trinity motor is done with the demise of the S197.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
The video of the SVT S550 sounded more like a Trinity than it did a Coyote to me, and it certainly wasn't a flat crank motor, nor did I hear any signs of a turbo.

Installing the 5.8 into the S550 definitely runs contrary to everything we've been "told" up until this point (ie, smaller engine bay won't allow the Trinity engine to fit, etc).

Yeah, but how many things have we been told that ended up being incorrect, unfinalized, or at least misleading? I'm not betting money on it happening, but at this point I certainly wouldn't bet money against it, either.

I'd love to see what Ford could do with a factory forced induction version of the Coyote/Roadrunner - especially with more displacement and a supercharger - but there would be nothing disappointing about carrying over the Trinity, either.

Users who are viewing this thread