Trinity 5.8 to live on in S550

Njtony

Established Member
Great info! And although I have no source at Ford, a month or so ago I was one of the first on here to say that shedding 400+ lbs from the current Mustang was a dream. Using only logic as well as the current vehicle techology and/or current automobiles in production I said it wasn't possible and still be what we want/need in a Mustang. Some have claimed that the Mustang could go down to around 3,400lbs or so and I brought up two examples of a current day 3,400lb car; a 2014 Chevrolet Corvette (which has only 2 seats) and a 2014 Hyundai Genesis Coupe base 4 cylinder model (which does have 4 seats but no V8 engines). Even the Genesis Coupe quickly rises to 3,600+ lbs when fully loaded options and a V6 and other track equipment. I've said it before, and I will say it again; I doubt the next Mustang will be the equivalent of a 2014 Chevrolet Corvette and I seriously hope it is NOT the equivalent of a 2014 Genesis Coupe.

Obviously the new Mustang will be somewhat lighter, because it will be smaller. But with smaller comes narrower tires too. I do not think we will be getting the wider tires we have always hoped for on the Mustang, and why would they? When Ford will probably limit HP on the next gen to 550 to 600HP. So I also believe the next gen one being quicker than the current Shelby to be a dream as well. Time will tell I guess.

Okay, except for a low RPM diesel engine, I do not think of turbo gasoline engines having exceptional reliablity/durability. And certainly not when modified. I certainly don't think of reliability when I think of a German turbocharged engine. And they are arguably the best at designing and building those engines. Also, I can't think of any V8 turbocharged gasoline engine, production or built by a well known company such as Ligenfelter or Calloway, that has been reliable either. Although there are plenty of Ecoboosts out there with some high miles on them, I guess time will tell how they hold up overall or if they run into more maintance costs later down the road. Maybe Ford has cracked the code for building a reliable turbocharged engine now? At any rate, I skipped the ecoboost option on my 2013 F-150 Crew Cab XLT 4x4 and went with the 6.2L instead. Great engine and even with max trailer tow and offroad pkgs I average a respectable 15MPG.

Toyota supra one exception I can think of to this statement. Basic mods to run elevens and was the most reliable car with zero engine issues with 60k modded miles.

Users who are viewing this thread