Transmission fluid you use that IMPROVED shifting over stock

Which transmission fluid have you used in your T56 with better shifting noticeable

• GM SynchroMesh

Votes: 160 30.7%
  • Amsoil ATF

Votes: 27 5.2%
  • Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF

Votes: 74 14.2%
  • Royal Purple SynchroMax

Votes: 100 19.2%
  • Castrol Syntorq

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Other

Votes: 158 30.3%

• Total voters

DocSVT

Established Member
RP got my vote

Alex Kovacevic said:
It's funny, I used to make fun of people at the track that shifted really slow. Then when I got my cobra I became one of those slow shifting people. It was so hard and notchy. I changed the fluid with sycnhromax by RP and it made a world of a difference. Now I can power shift the car easily[I still won't though] So much easier to shift. I've had it in my car for a year now, over 50 passes down the track, and 46,000 miles later my tranny still shifts like a hot knife through butter. Royal purple synchromax gets my vote for sure.

I am another happy RP synchromax user. I always figured it was just another "snake oil", but it really did help quiet mine down and improve the shifing, oh wait I did add a MGW at the same time ;-)

Last edited:

Fleck 5

Established Member
I put the RP synchromax in two weeks ago. The mechanic said that the fluid was either real dirty, or that the previous owner had changed the fluid (I bought the car with 4,500 miles). because it was not the typical stock transmission fluid color.

I did not notice any difference in switching from whatever was in there before to the synchromax. The tranny still shifts rough.

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
ChicagoMike said:
DO NOT run the synthetic ATF in the pre-1997 T-56 units. It will destroy the paper on the blocker rings. And do not run it in a manual trans with brass blocker rings either, because it will ruin those also.

Tremec changed the blocker rings to the carbon fiber type for the 1997 model year and synthetic ATF will not degrade these.
This thread has been going on for ever but I just noticed something. I took my tranny apart to replace the input shaft (2004 T-56) and the blocker ring has paper on it. It is NOT CARBON FIBER. I have been running RP Synchromax for about 3000 miles and the paper seems to be intact. BUT, I am wondering if I should go back to the Dexron III just to be safe??

palehorse

Established Member
Well after reading this entire thread, and parts of it twice, I called Tremec and spoke with a tech person. This is a sumary of what he said. The number 1 recomended transmission fluid for a chevy or ford application is Dexron III. He said the second choice is the GM syncromesh part#12345349. When I asked him about friction modifier he offered no opinion as to it being good or bad, but did indicate it was not necessary.

He did say that under normal driving conditions the transmission fluid is a "fill for life" but when I told him that I was changing the shifter and my car as 28,000 he said it was a good idea to change it.

He did not specifically say that a full synthetic was good, bad or otherwise. He did not say watch out for brand X as it will ruin your transmission. Finally, he said that for every person that has called and said "brand X is the best" he has had another say brand X is the worst thing I have done."

Based on that, I will be going with the GM syncromesh and no friction modifier.

palehorse

Established Member
FYI I called around to verious GM dealers and got prices that varied from $10.50-$15.50 a quart. I just got Penzoil syncromesh (penzoil makes all the GM stuff as has been previously stated on this thread) for $6.50 at autozone.

Fleck 5

Established Member
After a couple weeks of using the Royal Purple, I am not impressed. The shifting is probably a little worse. I think I might switch to the synchromesh.

Does anyone know what they are using in the new Z06's?

HawkMech

Wildhorses Rule!!!
Established Member
Does anyone know if I can pick up a few quarts of the Royal Purple Syncromax at any auto parts store, or is it something that I'll need to order online?

palehorse

Established Member
I have been driving around now with the Penzoil Synchromesh but I switched to MGW shifter at the same time. So all I can tell you is the two together shifts much better. FYI-- kind of off topic, but when I drained the original transfluid at 28,000 miles it looked and smelled brand new. I was shocked at how clean the fluid was. It certainly did not need to be changed.

2814v

Established Member
I have not had a problem with the stock fluid, a little notchy cold but not bad. When I change mine it will be stock or mobil1, no modifier.

Users who are viewing this thread